1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Everything Else II: Not As Good As The Original

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by MonkeyEpoxy, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I want to defend the 'cliche' story (of the parts I've experienced).

I think the point is to be cliche Kurasawa...

Hopefully in a sequel they can do a bit more. Hopefully go to the mainland etc.

2. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd agree. It's not a bad story by anymeans, but it definitely follows established story beats for the genre. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it is what it is.

3. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

I snapped up Watch Dogs 2 when Ubi gave it out for free and I have to say I am quite happy I didn't have to pay anything for it. It is an okayish game for the most part though it really suffers from the fact that so much stuff is utterly irrelevant, even more so than is typical in modern open world games. For example gives a whole suite of non-lethal weapons like a military style paint gun but I am pretty sure there is zero benefit in using them over more deadly weapons which tend to be far more effective. And even in quests that tends to be true, you can solve many of them without being seen by the enemy due to using your various gadgets but other than the inherent fun there really seems no difference in going for a total stealth approach instead of playing Rambo and simple shooting at everything that moves.(and the later tends to be both easier and quicker).

Add a pretty forgettable plot with quite a few holes and what for me was a pretty uninteresting cast and you et a game that is barely average.

4. Gengar

High Score:
    People seem to be really excited about WD: Legion. I've never been interesting in the setting though tbh.

If an open-world game is going to tackle those techno themes, I'd rather they do it in a crazy world like C77 as opposed to present day Chicago/SanFran/London.

The biggest draw of Open World games to me is one of two things:
    • Giving me an amazing world I just want to inhabit and stay in and do things for as long as possible, or
    • Give me an awesome character I can do crazy things with (a la Superhero open worlds)

It's why Watch Dogs never appealed to me. The world is just modern day cities and the character is a hacktivist... bleh

Oh, award to best gaming news of the year Spiderman Miles Morales is 4k60fps whoop whoop. I was worried they'd be more concerned with pushing the fidelity rather than hitting 60. So happy.

5. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

Thoroughly looking forward to getting the ps5. I've never owned a play station, and there are so many ps4 games I've wanted to play but simply can't. Also, horizon zero dawn is out on pc in a couple weeks and I'm pretty thrilled for that too.

6. Gengar

High Score:
    How new is the PC? If you're getting a PS5 anyway... it'll run pretty well on that, lol...

7. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

Relatively new, 1080gtx and 6700k. Should be okay to play a ps4 game.

8. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Has the PS5 been confirmed to have backwards compatibility? For some reason I must've missed that announcement.

9. Gengar

High Score:
    Yes, several times, it's just a matter of degree at this point. They've not explicitly said so, but I imagine there are some games that get a bit wonky.

I have a similar PC @kinetique I think the ps5 will run it better if you wanna wait and if you're getting it anyway.

10. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Kinda sorta. It's not blanket backwards compatibility like the PS1->PS2 or whatever, though. It's basically the same deal as Xbox 360 -> Xbox One; "here's a list of games that will be backwards compatible at launch, and we're gonna be expanding on it over time". Most of the big hits are on that list, so there's pretty good odds that if there's a game you wanna play it'll run on PS5.

11. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

Probably gonna get WD: Legion just because it's set in London. Can't remember the last big budget game set in modern London. I want to experience that thing Americans are fond of talking about on twitter when they see a place they know in real life recreated in game.

12. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

How have the gameplay videos held up? In terms of living up to evoking actual London.

Also, how did Syndicate stack up in that regard?

13. Arthellion

High Score:
    This is the most accurate video game depiction of London present day:

[​IMG]

14. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Been catching up to my backlog, finally got around to playing the Hitman game from 2016. Disappointed there is no briefcase in it to pack 47's gear in it, but I hear the next Hitman game has it and had some hilarious moments before it was patched out.

Really beautiful looking game, shame it doesn't have a photo mode or that it doesn't use Ansel.

15. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Didn't they patch it back in as an upgrade? Or is it a different version of Hitman.

16. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

You can play all of the Hitman (2016) levels in Hitman 2, and I think you can use some of the updated mechanics including the briefcase.

Speaking of backlogs I finally played Celeste, and it might be the best 2D platformer I've ever played. Finishing up the B-Sides now and I'm still amazed at how good it simply feels to play the game.

17. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Celeste is a masterpiece. The way the music matches everything on every level and every sequence took me so long to notice, but once I did it was amazing. The background music guiding your tempo while playing.

I got pretty far into the game, beating a few of the "bonus" post-game sections, but I hit a wall eventually. Then I looked up the final levels and how absolutely insane they are, and I bowed out.

18. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

It's looked really good in the general feel of it all. It looks like London even if the building isn't recognisable and you remove the buses and taxis. The few landmarks I've seen so far have also been very faithful.

I haven't played syndicate but the AC games are usually very good at historical accuracy so I'm sure it's well done there as well.

19. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Everything I've read says that the architecture to run any PS4 game is indeed there on PS5. It's the software side that could be an issue, so they're going title by title, checking with devs to make sure there won't be any major issues.

20. Arthellion

High Score:
    Just a short teaser. But don't care.