1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

And The Power The Dark Lord Knows Not Is...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dubrichius, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think Harry will destroy all the horcruxes, fighting off Death Eaters along the way with insane ease, only to be totally and utterly bested by Voldemort. It's sad how fanon people always make Harry a god, even against Dumbledore, but gets raped with no lubrication by Voldemort. Even worse, Rowling seems to want to follow the trend. Weren't the Death Eaters supposed to be almost as bad as Voldy himself, or was that fanon memories?

2. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No, no Death Eater is anywhere close to Voldemort's power. And I can't say I've ever seen a story with a plot like that - except in ways that make sense.

I would say that Voldemort's is better than all his Death Eaters combined. Here's an example from OoTP: A bunch of kids (yes, one was Harry, but he wasn't exactly that well-trained) fought near to stalemate with several adult Death Eaters, but Dumbledore managed, by himself, to got all of them, INCLUDING Voldemort to flee.

But the truth is, the REAL power he knows not is in this:
    The Pile-On

-J

3. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Well, for one, I think the fandom overestimates the Wizarding world as a whole. It annoys me when I see a fanfic where Harry learns enough new spells to fill a library, because in all honesty, I don't think it's that complicated. We have a lot of examples of this. We have Fred and George telling us how many ministry wizards can't produce a shield charm, we have Cho, a sixth year, unable to stun anything, and then we have Bella using Protego in a full-blown battle, and using a tap-dance hex on Neville, a second-year spell at best. Finally, we have been told multiple times that few wizards can even produce a Patronus, which Harry did at 13. So, from that perspective, which IS canon compatible, we see that Harry, once he learns nonverbal spells, should do just fine.

4. Snarf

High Score:
    I remember something that people said about Sirius in the third book when they thought he was guilty. Something like ' he was You-Know-Who's right hand man, almost as powerful as You-Know-Who himself.' Or something like that. Doesn't matter though.

Honestly, I can't believe you never read a story like the one I laid out. Voldemort suddenly gets some amazing power boost and whips Harry to the ground until he *I'm choking up* finds the love inside him and uses it to finally kill of old Voldy. That is, of course, after Harry decimates the man's Death Eater force.

This isn't Harry against Death Eaters though. This is Harry against Voldemort. Think about the way Voldemort and Dumbledore fought in the Atrium. Was that not incredibely high powered battle magic? Hell yes I think Harry would have to put quite the repitoire of spells under his belt before he has a chance at even grazing Voldemort's power and experience advantage. Though that might be fanon more then canon.

Dont Double Post - Vash.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2007
  5. afrojack

I'm not denying that Harry's gonna need some kick-ass spells, but in the end it's going to come down to who's more determined, who wants it more. Voldemort is fighting for himself, Harry is fighting for everyone else. People usually don't lose when the stakes are that high. If Harry dies, Everyone dies. That kind of motivation should be enough for anyone.

6. Snarf

High Score:
    Good point, but that is so over-used that I might just throw up all over he book. Suddenly becoming powerful for your loved ones is like Harry getting back together with Ginny Weasley. I don't like sappy Harry, but then again I don't like some dark, emo Harry like in the fifth. I thought he would do his litle growing up thing after Sirius' death, but she gave no indication that it had really troubled him at all. What, two lines at the very beginning?

7. afrojack

Harry did grow up. It was two lines because Harry decided he had to stop bitching and pick up his shit, which he did. It's not sappy either. It's like adrenaline for him when he's fighting for something. I liken it to a father beating the shit out of someone(s) who tries to break into the house where his family lives, or a mother accomplishing inhuman feats of strength to save her child. Harry's always been like that, when he or someone he loves is in danger he goes AWOL and beats the shit out of everyone. Case and point, in the DoM, Harry tosses Lucius Malfoy across the room like a ragdoll with impedimenta, he tosses a seasoned DE like nothing with a fifth year spell. Why? Because it's life or death. What is Impedimenta supposed to do? Slow people down. Nuff Said.

8. Assassinator_of_Dumbledor

Assassinator_of_Dumbledor Raptured to Hell

I personally believe that the power the dark lord knows not will be his own power drained from him by harry through the link that they share, I also believe that she will have harry kill himself as he will be the last part of Voldys soul.

9. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

I'm thinking the power the 'dark lord knows not' was part of what fullfilled the prophecy the night that Voldemort killed Harry Potter's parents. =/