1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

LEGO thread

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah I'm still missing Credence and Graves but I've made my peace with those. Which 6 are you missing? I have a couple duplicates, could potentially send them to you for the price of postage.

Yeah the NES in particular is pretty cool. Though it did occur to me that they could have done a Lego build with a NES Mini inside the Lego shell and then you would actually have a functional Lego NES.

2. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Voldemort
    Dobby
    Jacob Kowalski
    Queenie Goldstein
    Credence Barebone
    Percival Graves

Sadly, I have neither Credence, nor Graves; those bastards were the very definition of short-packed.
    I have extras (and in some cases multiple extras) of Newt, Tina, Harry (regular and invisibility cloak), Draco, Moody, Cho, Cedric, Dumbledore, and Hermione.

At least with Moody, if you have two of them, you can have one displayed with the Moody face and one with the Barty Crouch Jr. face. The others just represent money I shouldn't have spent.

If I decide to collect the next set, I'm going to buy an unopened box, open them all up until I have them all, and just sell the extras: Unless you have the devil's own luck, it's the cheaper option.

Sounds like a job for the Raspberry Pi...
    I wonder if there's enough room inside it for one (ventilation might be tricky, though).

3. Skeletaure

High Score:
    I think I definitely have a spare Dobby, and maybe a spare Voldemort (unless I already gave him away...). Will have a check later.

For the upcoming set, what I will probably do is buy maybe 10 blind bags, see where that takes me, and then try to fill in the gaps with targeted purchases or else another set of blind bags. I've found buying individual figures does vary dramatically in price. I got the Elsa and Anna from the Disney set a while back for £4 each, which isn't even that far off the price of a blind bag.

4. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Is this the first appearance of the Sword of Gryffindor in Lego form?

It occurs to me that Warwick Davis is now one of the small group of people who are represented in Lego form, multiple times, for different characters (Wicket the Ewok, Filius Flitwick, and Griphook - oh, and the Leprechaun from 'Leprechaun: Back 2 tha Hood').

What do you suppose is in Ron and Hermione's goblets? They don't look too happy...

Step 1: Take the baby Harry that comes with Lily and remove his face.
    Step 2: Stick it on the strudel that came with Queenie.
    Step 3: Foam at the mouth and invoke Kafka?
    Step 4: The sleeper has awakened. My skin is not my skin. I am desert power.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  5. Skeletaure

High Score:
    With Lily, James and baby Harry, I think I will have all the figures I need to recreate Halloween 1981: Voldemort and Pettigrew from the graveyard set, Sirius from the Patronus set, Hagrid from various sets, and Snape from Whomping Willow.

All I need now is an exploding house and a flying motorcycle...

Re: Ron and Hermione's goblets, I believe that the official description (per leaks) is that it's butterbeer.

6. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    This isn’t HP LEGO related, but as I‘ve mentioned before in the TOMD thread, I rediscovered my passion for LEGO during lockdown earlier this year. Since then I‘ve mainly built smaller sets, plus the 42096 Porsche 911 RSR, which I got at a reduced price (as I wasn‘t about to pay 150€ for it).

Earlier today, I arranged the smaller sets on my desk:

578A5751-C830-4564-BECD-F94C74577062.jpeg

Left to right:

76896 Nissan GT-R NISMO
    76895 Ferrari F8 Tributo
    76897 Audi Sport Quattro S1
    76898 Panasonic Jaguar GEN 2 & Jaguar I-PACE
    75892 McLaren Senna
    75276 Stormtrooper Helmet

You can see the switch in width from the earlier Speed Champions sets (like the Senna) to the newer ones, which are considerably wider. That makes the cars look a lot better, IMO.

My favourites from these are probably the Audi, the Jaguars and the Stormtrooper helmet.

The Audi is iconic, I love the aesthetics of the FE car and the helmet has a nice, flowing build and looks quite good.

I‘ll try and take a nice pic of the Porsche at the next opportunity.

7. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Much clearer image of the new HP CMF:

[​IMG]

There's also a rumour that the expensive upcoming Diagon Alley set will have the following buildings:

Daily Prophet Head Office,
    Ollivander's,
    Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes,
    Quality Quidditch Supplies,
    Flourish and Blotts,
    Borgin and Burkes,
    Florean Fortescue's Ice cream,
    Scribbulus,
    Leaky Cauldron

If that's true, that's a lot of buildings. Only really Madam Malkin's and Gringotts missing. Makes you wonder whether each one will be fully realised (and the set absolutely huge) or whether they will be squashing them into smaller spaces (e.g. like the different floors of modular buildings).

8. Skeletaure

High Score:
    More Diagon Alley details:

5544 pieces (in comparison, the big Hogwarts was 6020 pieces)

102cm (l) x 29cm (h) x 13cm (w)

EUR 400

Set description:

This was all from the official Lego website, which accidentally (on purpose?) published the page before taking it down immediately, with Google cache grabbing the details but not the pics.

https://www.promobricks.de/lego-75978-harry-potter-winkelgasse/106922/

9. Skeletaure

High Score:
  10. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Triple post but ok. Pics of the Diagon Alley set are circulating YouTube, screencaps attached/below.

And I dunno about it. Obviously it has volume going for it, and a high level of detail. I am sure there are going to be all sorts of wonderful details in there once we get proper pictures, especially of the interiors. But I'm not sure that it's necessarily all that striking, when you get over the sheer size/detail of it - I question some aesthetic choices here. I think I would have preferred it if it had been less colourful and more grounded/realistic looking.

Also, the minifigures are not necessary mind-blowing. All the schoolkids have short legs which I've never liked. Would have added much more value if they had mid-legs. Really, when it comes to the mini-figs, the only 2 that I feel I would miss not having are Lucius Malfoy and Gilderoy Lockhart. And of those two, it seems likely that Lucius will come around in another set at some point in the future.

I'll reserve full judgement until we get full resolution pics of both exterior and interior. But for me the choice is between these two options:

1. Diagon Alley. Total 5544 pieces, 14 minifigs, £350 (£0.06 per piece), or

2. The Burrow (£85) + Astronomy Tower (£70) + CMF (say, £80). Total 2018 pieces, 32 minifigs, £235 (£0.11 per piece)

Diagon Alley you get more pieces for sure, and better cost per piece and therefore theoretically better value. However, overall I'm leaning towards the latter as giving you more stuff, especially when you take the minifigs into account, and for substantially cheaper.

Screenshot 2020-08-19 at 21.51.40.png Screenshot 2020-08-19 at 21.54.52.png

11. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I hate the short legs so much :< Makes them look like their knees were chopped off.

12. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Bought 6 of the CMF series 2. Got 2 Harrys, 2 Lunas, a Neville and a Sprout. Mildly annoyed at 2/6 duplicates... still, am happy with Sprout and a Luna.

Will save the dupes ro potentially exchange with @Warlocke

Attached Files:

13. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

:D

I had originally planned on trying to buy a whole box and sell off the dupes (Bonus points if the clerk smirks when I say, "We'll take the lot."), though that probably would have been too expensive and, with this set not having any rare chase figures, probably isn't necessary to get a whole set.

@Taure Did your Harry figures come with the right book insert? He's supposed to have a page from the HBP potion book, but some of the figures have been erroneously packaged with the page from Tom's diary.

14. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Yeah, both my Harrys have the proper page in the book (with a nice "Sectumsempra" visible on it).

Incidentally, with the passing of my birthday I now have: Room of Requirement and the Umbridge Forbidden Forest set (also Obi-Wan's hut from SW Lego). People know me well :D

No plans to get Privet Drive or Hedwig, but I do plan to get Astronomy Tower and Burrow. Burrow is only available from Lego Store and is currently out of stock, but I will pick it up as soon as I can, because it's never going to be any cheaper (Lego don't really do sales...). Astronomy Tower I will wait until a sale knocks the price down further.

15. James

James Unspeakable

Do all the figures have movie outfits?

i like the Fawkes, might look for that Dumbledore online.

16. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Just had terrible luck with HP CMF Series 2. I bought 8 packs, got 4 duplicates.

So I now have:

- Luna Lovegood
    - Harry Potter
    - Professor Sprout
    - Fred Weasley
    - George Weasley
    - Ginny Weasley
    - Neville Longbottom
    - James Potter

And my duplicates:

- Luna
    - Fred
    - George
    - James
    - Ginny
    - Harry

In other words, I've bought 14 (£49) but only got 8 unique figs out of it (£28). Such a racket lol.

Anyway, Warlocke, let me know when/if you have stuff you want to exchange haha.

17. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Apparently we aren't good enough for Lego, here in the armpit of Ohio. I still haven't seen any around here. o_O

18. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I was finally able to get a series 2 minifig.
    A minifig. Singular.
    And that was at a clothing store.
    I'm mystified.
    It was Ginny, by the way.

Next time I make an online order somewhere, I'm snagging some minifigs. This city has plenty of Lego but, when it comes to the HP series 2, it is a wasteland.

19. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Given my number of duplicates to date I ended up going for the secondary market option and bought the outstanding figures off Amazon. Some of them were only £4.50, i.e. only £1 more than the blind bag. But Bellatrix was £8... that was pretty steep.

Still, I think I have saved money this way rather than continuing to get blind bags. Once you have a certain number of figures, blind bags just deliver marginal returns as you get more and more duplicates.

20. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

So... has anyone seen the Colosseum?
    9036 pieces.
    550 dollars.

Meh. I'd still rather have the firehouse from Ghostbusters, or Diagon Alley.