1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fanfiction Confessions

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

Out of the thousands of fics across multiple fandoms I've read, the best slash writers outclass the best het writers.

2. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

I agree with the caveat that fem!Harry/Snape seems to have a disturbingly high correlation with outstanding writing.

3. dudeler

dudeler High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Maybe,
    The girl I watched the first fantastic beasts movie with, turned out to be an ardent Snape fan, I still suspect that she probably reads Snape centric fics.
    But my usual social circle is as socially conservative as they come. It's all about drinking very large amounts of beer and trash talking.

But who knows, the rest of my friends and acquaintances might be secret fans of Harry/tonks smut or something similarly stupid xD.

Edit: I also like Kakashi centric Naruto fics. Which is weird since I'm not a big fan of manga or anime beyond cowboy Bebop and especially don't like like stuff like Naruto or Dragonball.

4. BlitherBlip

BlitherBlip First Year

I only really like the first three HP books and some of the fourth, and I'm fairly sure I only like those because of cozy childhood nostalgia.

5. Demonbuttersage

Demonbuttersage First Year

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  6. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    You can't say that and not link it

I guess my confession would be that I only read whatever I already follow (be it by fic or author) at this point. Can't remember the last time I went looking, even within DLP.

7. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

A remarkable amount of my favourite fanfics are just trashy romance novels with familiar charecters. Despite the fact I never read original romance or write it into my fanfic, my favourite list does not lie.

8. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

I haven't read fanfiction in ages outside of a reviewing context. Like if not for wba, it's been months since I had the urge to look for a fanfiction to read.

9. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Somehow, my favorite Harry/Daphne story is still the one where she dies (you know which, by you know who)

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You overestimate my familiarity with shitty fanfic.

11. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Similarly, when I go looking for new stuff, it's mostly to mock it in the chat, rather than trying to actually find anything new to read.

12. Miner

Miner Order Member

The best fanfic ever written isn't a Harry Potter fanfic.

13. EkulTeabag

EkulTeabag Seventh Year

My favourite fanfic is a Twilight fic, and if I recall correctly, it was inspired by Methods of Rationality.

14. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

How does that even work.

15. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Because reading a fic make fun of the aource material is significantly less annoying if you dislike the source material. The MC in Luminosity(the rational Twilight fic) is also a lot less pretentious than Harry in HPMOR.

Like I wouldn't call it my favorite but I found I really enjoyed it.

16. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The only thing in common is that the authors are wanking while writing.

17. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

Tried reading this story, not sure to chock this up to a dwindling fandom or just different tastes but man this was a bad fic.
    Can't believe it was written relatively recently with all those tropes (then again, whenever I try to find something new with the Scryer, I see tons of shitty tropes published in the past week)

18. Nae

Nae The Violent

I read a ton of next-gen romance fanfics on HPFF back in the day. Like, *proper* Rose/Scorpius romance type, like a bad hollywood movie. I was obsessed.

It was only after a certain fics caught my that I got into indy!Harry or Dark!Harry and found my way to DLP. Before that, I was all about that teenage romance genre.

19. haphnepls

haphnepls Seventh Year

I discovered the world of fanfiction because I was into every girl from HP universe. Took me a while to figure out there are other things than smut around. Took me even longer to find out about Daphne Greengrass. The rest is a history.

20. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Another confession. I give zero shits about tropes. If its fun to read does it matter that you got first years talking like adults and doing the slytherin hierarchy dance and performing magic better and stronger than half the adult wizards in canon ever showed? or that Harry has a trunk that has a town house built into it, complete with hyperbolic time chambers, or that he gets to bang big titty goth girl susan bones, cho, Hermione, the Patil twins, but marry his one true love Fleur.

Like the tropes are what make fanfic fun in a way, otherwise why would we read it?