1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Everything Else II: Not As Good As The Original

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by MonkeyEpoxy, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Imperial

Imperial Second Year

Start with Chrono Trigger.

Then despair at the fact that 99% of the genre will never live up to that high bar.

Speaking of, I really need to get around to Radiant Historia. Everyone and their mother has been telling me it's the closest we will ever get to a Chrono 3.

2. nahbutualright

nahbutualright Slug Club Member

Persona 5 was the second JRPG I ever played, the first being Lost Odyssey more than a decade ago. I got some pretty severe choice paralysis at first once things opened up in the evenings and oh god oh fuck what do I do... but once you sack up a bit and get used to it things move pretty smoothly.

I played on normal and didn't have any trouble with the combat after the first dungeon. Persona 5 is pretty idiot-proof, to a fault sometimes with how hard they hammer you to make sure you understand what's going on and what to do, so you should be fine.

3. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

4. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Started playing BDO given quarantine... man, it's a pretty great game. It's very PvP heavy in the end game, but that kinda just makes me excited for their upcoming game Crimson Desert (I think it's called that) which is reportedly more PvE focused.

Aside from really clunky jumping, the game controls like a dream. Even the key combo system grew on me (though there's a few too many that are too similar) and the RPG systems are deep and engaging.

And I may have also spent an unhealthy amount of time in the character creation screen.

I think my only major gripe is every female character being in heels. It's a fucking Korean thing that just doesn't go away. I might be able to buy it for some of the classes like Sorceress and Witch, but when I see a badass looking Barbarian-like class (classes are gender locked) in heels, it triggers me so hard.

5. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Baldurs Gate 3 September 30th Early Access release

6. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

Wake me up, when September ends.

7. Arthellion

High Score:
    Some spoilers.

Intellect Devourer Gameplay

Full Live Stream

8. Arthellion

High Score:
    System Specs (obviously subject to change)

[​IMG]

9. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

Super Mario rpg is the perfect jrpg starting point! Easy, fun, memorable.

10. Arshunk

Arshunk First Year

Yea it's disappointing but I haven't played any JRPG before:(
    I had a phase were I was only playing lol. I got hard stuck diamond and gave up.

Just finished the palace of the creepy teacher. Toward the end of it, game got kinda boring but the final battle was nice. Don't know if I love the game yet but it seems it still has a lot to give me.

The anime bits inside the game is pretty good.

11. Arshunk

Arshunk First Year

12. Arthellion

High Score:
    I feel like it's prolly because the gameplay was sucking. The showcases weren't that impressive.

13. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

But that's not really his department, right? He's the narrative lead. Unless it was his refusal to compromise said narrative for the sake of changes the gameplay designers wanted...yeah, I dunno what they get out of this. Then again they also got rid of a creative designer, so maybe you're right. Or maybe it was just people upstairs being pissed at the delays and wanting to show that displeasure, with him being the most disposable given most of his work should be done.

Regardless, it's very concerning.

Edit: On reflection, yeah, it's probably the deadline thing. They want someone to get it to shelves, fuck the consequences.

14. Jaska

Jaska Third Year

Mitsoda was the narrative lead. What we have seen has pointed to problems gameplay, something that he isn't really responsible for. It has looked like a disaster in the making from the first gameplay reveals and seems like their problems have only gotten worse. At most I'll pirate it on release, due to people like Cara Ellison working as a writer on it and now Mitsoda being fired. VtMB didn't have great gameplay, but the story, atmosphere and writing as a whole were great. I doubt the sequel will live up to its predecessor.

On the other hand really excited for BG3. Larian is one of the few game companies I really like and what they have shown and talked about is very promising.

I'm a bit wary of CK3. CK2 is one of my favorite games, due to it's attempts to simulate medieval characters and roleplay possibilites, although it got a bit bloated near the end of its life cycle. CK3 has some interesting new mechanics, but seems to be lacking in some aspects and has seemingly worrying future plans (possible China/Japan expansion). Regencies seem to be missing at launch, simplified laws (should have just gotten rid of the crown law system, it's not at all historical) and the map is just bloated. Sub-Saharan Africa shouldn't be in the game, same with India. Tibet and Siberia are a bit more meh, but I'd cut them out also, due to offering very little, as opposed to West Africa offering nothing, same with India. Byzantium seems to be back to feudal mechanics, which is just stupid, feudalism doesn't represent them at all. Them teasing a China expansion on their twitter is a very bad sign. Feudalism doesn't work in China and the core gameplay of dynasty wouldn't work at all. I'm still looking forward to it, Paradox doesn't exactly have the best track record of releasing good games at launch, so we'll see just how bare bones CK3 will be in a couple of weeks.

15. Arshunk

Arshunk First Year

They're not giving any clarification so I guess it has to be smth that gets him metooed. Idk but firing him at final stages of his game is shitty. Apparently this his statement: [​IMG]

16. Arshunk

Arshunk First Year

[​IMG]

It's not looking good at all. Look at this HL employee's bs. To think I was actually going to preorder this at one point...

17. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

"He's there to help the team realize their shared vision and fulfill the full potential of the game"

Yuuuup, this is a "can't deal with more delays, team can't fulfill their promises, get an outsider to come in and get something out the door to recoup some losses''.

18. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Don't game people have a Union that protects them against stuff like this, though?

Also, I can understand replacing the creative director since he might not be doing a good job directing the creation of the game, but the lead narrative designer getting the boot is kind of weird.

Oh well, lets wait and see how the final product turns out.

19. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

IIRC, the two of them are actually friends who pitched Bloodlines 2 to Paradox to begin with, so maybe they fired both to avoid complications from the narrative department when sacking the other guy. Honestly, this is all just wild guessing and speculation. But I'm not really inclined to think anything made after this will ever be good. I mean, how can you just fire a narrative lead without even letting people know why or letting him know why? Aren't there any contracts here in place? The whole thing seems shady as fuck on Paradox's end.

20. Arthellion

High Score:

I don't know what this is but I want it.