1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Mandalorian [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Apr 14, 2019.

1. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Seemingly confirmed that Katee Sackhoff will reprise Bo-Katan in live-action.

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Everyone should go watch the "Technology" episode of Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian. It's really pretty fascinating stuff.

Apparently, almost all of Mando was shot in this giant ILM soundstage called The Volume. Basically a giant half sphere of HDR LED screens. They then built sets inside, and rendered all their backdrops and settings on these screens with Unreal engine, and then filmed in VR.

If you're bored and have time you should also check out the Director and Legacy episodes. Listening to Dave talk about Star Wars here really shows how much he 'gets' it.

3. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I don’t know if anyone’s mentioned this yet, but Timothy Olyphant was cast in this season as Cobb Vanth. Im not up to date on the EU, but it basically sounds like Raylan Givens in Space so I’m here for it.

4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Decided to give this a go finally.

First impression of Mando--he walks awkwardly. I'm guessing it's because of the helmet. Hard not to notice the way Pascal walks down the stairs, or even on flat ground, or trying to sit down with his vision limited like that. The ughnaught (looks like a practical effect) is badly lipsynced with the dialogue.

Also found a continuity error in the first episode. He has a right pauldron made of beskar. When he's taming that funny lookin beast for riding, at 26:21 his left pauldron is beskar in one shot before going back to the right pauldron.

I liked the bounty droid. I very much liked the moment when Mando says "We need to get the door open" and the next shot has them both checking out the blaster gatling gun or whatever that was.

Overall, I am underwhelmed. After recently watching a few episodes of Filoni's The Clone Wars S7, I appreciate how fluid and crisp action is in animation, without the constraints of actors having to deal with the awkwardness of costumes. I also thought a lot of the shots were composed in boring ways. Is this Dave Filoni's first time directing live-action?

5. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Yes. It is the first time he's ever directed anything live action.

And as an aside, it's always fun to read about unique opinions about the quality of things. Especially when those unique opinions fly in the face of near-universal opinions on cinematography and costume design. It neatly illustrates the concept of subjectivity.

As a double aside, it's interesting how Filoni only contributed to Avatar: TLA in the first season.

6. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Yes it is.

He directed episodes 1 and 5, fully wrote episode 5, and contributed writing to and co-produced all the rest.

Show doesn't really pick up until episode 3. Then it's delightful.

He is a practical effect. Impressive as fuck animatronic mask worn by a smol actress doing motion capture.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  7. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Are they really going to ride into Mando season 2 with no trailer? It's supposed to kick off in November.

8. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    With Celebration canceled, the trailer will very likely drop over Labor Day weekend.

9. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm not sure I forgive Pedro Pascal yet over his part in the 'Imagine' fiasco...

Maybe with time...

10. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    upload_2020-9-2_12-53-56.png

11. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Season 2 bois!

12. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Fuck, am I hyped. Totally unpublished cast addition in Sasha Banks too, she doesn't even show up on the IMDB page. Almost has to be Sabine, doesn't it?

This makes the rest of the cast announcements make a lot more sense too. Mando is looking for Jedi, and goes to Bo-Katan for advice. Bo-Katan knows Sabine was working with a force-user at one point. Sabine can lead Mando to Ahsoka, who is going to fucking wreck Moff Gideon and put the darksaber back in Mandalorian hands. I hope.

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    The Star Wars Speculation reddit right now is amazing.

14. Dresden11

Dresden11 Fifth Year

I will say that I have heard from some Youtubers who cover the Hollywood industry that Pedro Pascal became difficult to work with because he wanted his face seen in the episodes without the mask, but the writing squad for Mandelorian did not want this to occur. So apparently this season will deal with some other stories along with the Mandelorian's story because Pedro only filmed for about half the time the show was actually filming. So it will be interesting to see how they tie in some of Filoni's other characters to fill in the episodes Pedro didn't film. Thus we get Ahsoka, etc.

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I head that too, but I'm hesitant to believe anything rumor mill-sy about Star Wars at this point. Also, this is based entirely off of extrapolation from one single youtuber.

Doesn't sound super credible given how hard Pascal promotes Mando stuff.

16. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

This is one of those rumors that's entirely believable, but I wouldn't put any actual credence to it until/unless it's corroborated elsewhere. It's entirely possible that things played out that way, but I'm hesitant to believe the internet when it says things like that.

If, upon watching the show, there's signs of last-minute alterations to the show, then that'll lend more credence to it as well, but can't say anything about that until I've actually watched it.

17. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I sincerely hope that's not the case. That's a very easy and quick way for the show to go down the crapper.

18. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

From the little I followed of the production of The Mandalorian, he always seemed to embrace and be ok with the helmet thing.

19. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was meh about season 1. Interesting, but... needed something more. That S2 trailer has me pretty hyped though I must say.

20. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Maybe if he doesn't have to wear the helmet all the time, they can get some shots of Mando not walking like someone trying to find their way to the bathroom at 2am by feeling the walls lol