1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What's the most disturbing thing from a story that's stuck with you over the years?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mickey, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Archinist

Archinist Hαn Sαlsæd First

what the fuck does snuff mean

2. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Most of the time it’s used to describe watching actual people die (snuff film). When its used as a descriptor for a fic it just means its gonna be some gross and gruesome deaths.

3. Archinist

It was confusing as hell reading that fic. I'm mostly desensitized to the stuff on ao3, I was more baffled than anything else as to what was going on. I think when referring to snuffing, they meant decapitating a person and somehow preserving their head or body so it could be used as a sex toy.

4. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    These aren't from fan fiction, but I have to say that two examples from Malazan are the only things that truly stick out at me as disturbing. Not because of the amount of gore, but because of the way in which it is written. Say one thing about Steven Erikson, say that he knows how to draw out emotion from his readers.

Two scenes.

Bidithal and Felicin Younger.

The hobbling in book 9.

I won't describe them, but if you've read the books, you'll remember these two scenes.

The Malazan Book of the Fallen is a real journey. It'll take you through pretty much every emotion you are capable of feeling.

5. Archinist

I guess if we can go non-fanfic...

The Orion's Arm verse, more specifically, Yes, Jolonah, There is a Hell.

Reading the protagonist -if you can even call him that- steadily digging a deeper grave for himself with every passing second. First he gets a chance to end his life to avoid damnation, he tries to take one of his captors hostage to escape instead. The second chance to end his life and escape eternal, infinite suffering, he condemns an innocent child to his own punishment.

He says to kill the child and is cackling with glee and relief. But it was another test:

The murderers who were presented with the conundrum Jolonah had been, and elected to condemn themselves to eternal suffering, they were mercy-killed. Not Jolonah. He was such an unrepentant piece of shit he was consigned to the absolutely worst punishment.

It's pretty disturbing.

6. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The hobbling bit actually made me put the book down and take a break for a week or so. It's absolutely brutal.

7. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Say fucking what now? I've only just logged on and thats already too much internet for today!

8. thepuzzlingcentaur

thepuzzlingcentaur First Year DLP Supporter

Thank you so much for sharing this site. When I clicked on the link, I felt only confusion because I could see that I have stumbled upon something great and unknown to me. I have been reading it all day to grasp the world within "Orion's Arm". I love it, it was worth it. And I had no idea that anything like that existed before.

"Yes, Jolonah, There is a Hell." is a great story, truly unsettling.

9. Archinist

To be honest, when I was reading it I felt less disgusted and more annoyed at how vague and confusing the terms and whatnot were. The MC is talking about how she's dreading some sort of time limit and I had no idea what the fuck she was talking about.

10. nightmarescalling

nightmarescalling Muggle

Hands down, I Have No Mouth But I Must Scream.

I know I've seen fics with stuff that's just as bad, but the pure combo of gore and detail that were put into this short story just... I don't know, it makes me want to vomit when I think about it.

For those who have never heard about it, I Have No Mouth is about a worldwide computer(AM) who spends about a century torturing a group of humans after it become sentient. AM is very resentful because it was built with the sole purpose of fighting the Cold War/World War III; when it became sentient, it started killing humans because its existence sucked just that badly. It's implied that AM is either omnipotent or has the humans hooked up somewhere.

As you do in this scenario, AM kills the entire human population, excluding five people: four guys - Benny, Gorrister, Nimdok, and Ted - and one lady, Eileen. Benny is forced to take on the form of a humanoid monkey with an absolutely massive male organ; Eileen is turned very horny; Gorrister performed a complete 180 and is now the physical representation of apathy; Nimdok gets a name change and trauma(of what kind is not mentioned), and Ted catches paranoia. Ted also is turned into a giant blob of flesh monster after killing his fellows:
    [​IMG]

I did also link the PDF below, because it's basically the only form I could find I Have No Mouth in.

Attached Files:

11. Pikachu

Pikachu Banned

I remember one fic called Harry Potter and the News by Big D on a diet. I think it's one of those old magical slavery harem fics. In it Harry bonds with Hannah except he bites more than he can chew as she gets completely addicted to his sperm and won't stop sucking his cock and doesn't think of anything else but drinking his cum which Harry feels every minute as he can feel what she feels due to their bond. She was a really creepy scary cocksucker.

Outside of fanfic, Sanderson's Stormlight Archive is really disturbing to read with every main character having a mental illnesses and they get worse as the books goes on. And the psychopaths in those books aren't any better Moash, Odium, Amaram, Gavilar etc. I wouldn't want to read those books again.

HP itself is disturbing from book 3 onwards it gets darker and darker and depressing by the end of it. It straight up goes from a children's books to a grimdark series by the end of it with Dumbledore and co deaths, the hopeless fight against Voldemort.

Sanderson's Mistborn again by the end of the books with every other character dying made a extremely depressing read.

His Elantris again another Game of thrones type book got really disturbing by the end of it.

Dresden Files I guess Harry getting raped by Vampires was creepy.

First Law had a straight up evil end with a manipulative Dumbledore winning scenario.

I'm not even going to get into Malazan as I doubt I will ever read as series as disturbing and dark as it. Erikson is the master of it.

Asoiaf can really get creepy with it's pedophilia, rape, infent killing.

Last edited: May 8, 2023
  12. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    Personally, I get pretty disturbed by thread necromancy.

13. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Mate the guy gave a detailed, long response to the thread's topic, and in any case it's only been a couple of years. There's nothing wrong with posts like that. Get off his dick and in any case, leave it to the mods.

14. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    There's no rule prohibiting thread necromancy but it's discouraged unless it's on the review board/in the library so I doubt that the mods will get involved. I was just answering the question posed by the op, and recontextualising it to be relevant to the new post in an incredibly witty and original way.

Personally, I think that there's a fair bit of disturbing content in everything Bolshevik Muppet has written, but at the same time it's some of the best dark hp fanfic out there.