1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Oldest Game You Still Play?

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by LittleChicago, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

ADOM: Ancient Domains Of Mystery (1994)

Roguelike RPG with ASCII graphics that I think I first downloaded somewhere around 2000. It still holds up today is the best of the genre to me. Link is to the more recent crowd-funded re-release, which has a a host of new features, such as tile/sprite graphics and highly customizable difficulty options for people who don't want to restart the game when they die.

The re-release actually went well enough that a sequel is in the works.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  2. haphnepls

haphnepls Seventh Year

I still play Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007) :(

3. Ankan

Ankan Professor

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (1999)

4. Oment

Oment The Betrayer DLP Supporter

4 is surprisingly decent. It's no 3, but what is.

Oldest game I've played in the past few months is Transport Tycoon Deluxe (1994).

5. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

Star Wars: Empire at War (2007)

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Two of my friends and I are doing a 3-player game of Secret of Mana whenever I visit. We’re about halfway through. Probably need to visit twice more to finish it up.

7. James

James Unspeakable

Wooot. I didn't realize TTD is even older than HoM&M III. My oldest is TTD thus. wooo

8. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Starcraft. It was my first real video game, and it's stuck with me. I dedicated a lot of time to it when SC2 came out, and though eventually I left all the e-sports stuff behind, it had a big impact on my life.

Still load it up every once in a while, though I avoid the stress of ladder. No one needs that mental anguish piling on top of 2020-anxiety.

9. cucio

cucio Groundskeeper

High Score:
  10. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Oment

I've accepted that I have a place in gamer hell for this, but I never really got the taste for HOMM3. I prefer 5, which is basically 3 in 3D.

One of my favorite things about 4 are the stories of campaigns. I'm biased for sure because I'm quite attached to them, but I think they have great potential. A series of great novelizations or an HBO show with each season covering a campaign remain my irrational dreams.

If I had to pick just one story, I'd go with the one from the base game Death campaign.

11. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Played a bunch of ADOM around 2000 as well (Although I had played some Nethack on occasion for several years before that, as it happened to be installed on a computer that ended up being the home computer early on. Green text on a black background for that computer.). I will freely admit the guide-dang-it nature of ADOM did result in my not beating it until randomly coming back to it half a dozen years later, and loosely using a guide to make sure I hit the mandatory story points without needing to save scum.
    Pretty sure I ended up first beating the game with a Mist Elf Mindcrafter. I've always loved how they have no penalty to martial training, and while they can't use spellbooks, wands and things like wishing rings are still fine. That, and Telekinetic Blast wrecks faces, particularly when you no longer even need line of sight. Screw you, Undead that used to pose a legitimate threat!
    Not to mention the surprising power of their simple confusion ability right from the beginning, as well as innate Teleportation Control (just find a Pixie that actually leaves a corpse to feast on).

Ah, I could go on about that game. So many hours. The large majority of them when it was still ASCII only. Although I did fiddle with their Jade version, as well as the somewhat unusual ADOM 2 (think I still have it, or both, downloaded, actually).

-----

I did not know about the Steam Sequel thing, though. I question some of the decisions, from browsing the screenshots, but I'll likely try it out.

12. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

Ha, never played either but did play a shitton of Zeus (2000) and still come back to it from time to time.

13. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

old games are pretty much all I play.

Going strictly by the OP, the oldest game I play semi-regularly would be SMB3, which came out in 1990. Also play a ton of snes era games frequently, like Zelda ALTTP (mostly randomizer), UN Squadron, earthbound, Secret of Mana, and Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen.

Oldest computer game that I play more than once a year is a game called Deadlock, which came out in 1995. Beyond that is Warcraft 2, Diablo 1 and C&C (and RA 1). Played those all within the last year. If this question was asked a few years ago I would've answered doom 1 or 2, but its been awhile since I've played them

14. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim. Every other month I'll boot it up and play a scenario. I picked it up at one of those bookfair things when I was in primary school when it was new. Still got the disc somewhere.

Beyond that, I play the original Pokemon games once a year or so.

15. Faun

Faun Fourth Year

High Score:
    Age of Empires 2.

16. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I hop on to Guild Wars every now and then, so that's a 2005. I was an avid RuneScape player and hop on there, but I only played RS3. Never got into OSRS. I'm not gonna lie, my elementary school years playing [what is now] RuneScape Classic in the early aughts were great. But MMOs are dubious since they are/were updated constantly.

I second @Palindrome with the City-Builders. Pharaoh, Caesar 3, Zeus, etc all hold up well and I have them all right now thanks to GOG. We even have an old, albeit short-lived thread here with em https://forums.darklordpotter.net/t...and-other-evergreen-oldies.25953/#post-712082

I'm actually playing through KOTOR 1 (2003) right now (and lol my Override folder that holds mods is larger than the actual game files)

Imperium Galactica (1997) and Imperium Galactica II (1999) I play off and on as well. Homeworld (1999) is another spectacular game in that vein too. I lost my shit when I saw the true 3 dimensional space combat in that game. All three are on steam

Sometimes I get the itch to play the OG pokemon games (1998 US) through emulators which is always a great experience. Fun story, my first adventure in Kanto petered out after winning 5 badges because I hadn't the foggiest goddamn idea how to get into Saffron City.

If I were to compile a list of the GOATs, I believe I'd still have Pharaoh in the top spot.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  17. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

I would have said HOMM III as well, but I realised that Caesar III and the Commandoes series are even older. I absolutely adore Caesar III: it's just so much fun! Commandoes is a bit more about wits than anything else. It was one of my favourite games to play back as a kid. In addition, I often need myself a fix of Claw, a side-scrolling arcade game, which is the oldest game I play occasionally, as opposed to the other 3 I mention which I play regularly.

Additionally @ScottPress are the factions and all the same in HOMMV? Do we still follow the fortunes of Erathia?

18. nahbutualright

nahbutualright Slug Club Member

Pokemon RBY. God bless the 3DS Virtual Console.

19. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Genghiz Khan

Nah. After 3DO went bankrupt, Ubisoft bought the HOMM IP. The first game under the Ubi banner was made by some Russian no name studio and they actually did an awesome job. I mean yeah, cutscenes are terrible, but game mechanics are all there and both the adventure map and the city screens look pretty. I actually think the city screens have some of the coolest music tracks in the franchise, especially Sylvan (Nature/Elves) and Death.

Starting with HOMM 5, there was a whole new world and lore. Unless your attachment to Erathia is unbreakable, I think it's cool stuff. There were at least 2 more HOMM games published by Ubi but I haven't played those. I think HOMM 6 is a prequel to 5 story-wise. There is a first person action adventure game in the same universe called Dark Messiah, published in... 2008? It's one of my favorite little-known games, it has a very cool melee combat system and the story is perfectly fine, though better if you have the context of the strategy game (a major character from the strategy game appears in the action game).

As for HOMM 5, there is the base game with 6 campaigns (one per faction) that all tell a single big story. Two expansions continue some threads from the story of the base game and each adds a new faction. Hammers of Fate adds dwarves, Tribes of the East adds orcs, which are the replacement for the barbarian/stronghold faction.

edit:

Sylvan theme (yeah, towns were 3D in HOMM5, they went back to still images for 6 & 7)

Necropolis theme

main menu theme (I like it, it has a nice melancholic feel to it)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  20. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

Elder Scrolls Morrowind, Alpha Centauri are the two I play with regularity. Also, super smash brothers melee if I'm feeling competitive at all.