1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Antho #5 - The Anthology Strikes Back!

Discussion in 'Original Fiction Discussion' started by Joe, May 20, 2020.

1. M.L.

M.L. Groundskeeper

I'll give it a shot. Not sure I have the quality of some of these other writers, but what the hell.

2. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    Depending on the extension I am interested. Out of the hospital...yay...but might need a few weeks just due to needing to build up strength

3. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    Any updates on this? I might try to start working this weekend if we're definitely extending it

4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you're gonna try, there's no time like now to start.

5. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Consider it extended through to the end of October - if we've got enough stories by then, we'll proceed.

6. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    ahh perfect. i didnt see what the extension was announced for so thats what i was asking. end of october is plenty of time. All i could find is the due date that already passed and obviously didnt want to start if it hadnt been extended.

when in october was it extended to? By end you mean the 31st? I dont see anything in the op unless im being blind.

7. ScottPress

High Score:
    @soczab

8. BlitherBlip

BlitherBlip First Year

Well, if it's going to the end of October I'll give it a shot, though I don't know if I'm actually up to writing something of publishing-level quality. If nothing else it gives me a break from my fic, and "a comprehensive edit detailing why the story wasn’t accepted at this time..." would be valuable general feedback I can apply to other projects.

9. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What if we don't have enough stories?

10. Joe

High Score:
    We sacrifice @ScottPress and @Mordecai as proper tribute to the dark and hungry story gods, thus ensuring a better harvest of words come reap.

11. ScottPress

High Score:
    Get your entries in by Nov 1st (midnight last day of Oct, don't sweat it of you're a few hours off deadline because of timezones). The Antho committee will talk and we'll get back to y'all with an update.

12. Joe

High Score:
    To add to this, I’ve been contemplating a few solutions so we hit a respectable and publishable (in paperback) length. One of those solutions is that I write a story that is, say, closer to 50,000 words. I have something close to that anyway.

I know that breaks the established word count per story of this anthology, but it would get us over the line.

Another option is, of course, we extend the deadline again - but I think that’s unlikely.

As @ScottPress said, leave it with us - we’ll come back with some options to keep this alive.

13. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I think if we can get to 50k total that’s doable as a paperback. It’s short sure but not so much that it’s embarrassing. I think a lot of old novels were that length.

But yeah - solid idea on adding a longer one to ‘anchor’ the collection by the editor.

14. Joe

High Score:
    An anchor story is a great way of putting it, but I also don’t want any contributors or the greater community to think I’m taking liberties. The end goal is a polished paperback of stories worthy of sitting on a shelf.

15. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I recall reading some of the Dragonlance collections as a kid, and those always had one novella at the end, so it's not necessarily a crazy idea at all.

16. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Jim Butcher did it in Brief Cases too I think. Wasn’t quite that long (I think) but similar.

17. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    monday for our submissions correct? I dont think ive really pulled off what i was trying for with mine, but ill still get it in (and if not ready for the book no worries)

18. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sunday is the 1st of November, so entries in on Sunday please. Also, remember there'll be a round of edits after we've reviewed the initial submissions. We definitely appreciate not getting absolute rough drafts, but don't stress if its not quite in its final evolution quite yet.

19. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    Ahh good to know. Sunday it is then. Glad I asked. And it shouldn't be too rough. DOnt know that makes it a good *story* mind lmao. We'll see. I may have tried to force the plot a bit too much for the premise. I dunno. Or im overly critical of myself. We shall see.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  20. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    Im actually going to bow out of this i think. Now that ive finished it and looked at it, dont really like what I put together enough to want to see it published heh. Basically, I dont know sci-fi much (im a fantasy nerd), so my story was a play on that.... a wizard and a dragon are dueling and it backfires and they find themselves in a sci-fi world and hijinx occur as they are forced to team up to avoid being experimented on by the curious scientists. But looking it over, its just a bit too silly/cliche and just a bit too much my odd sense of humor which I dont think translates well. Heh if im going to have something actually for real published for the first time, not sure this is what I want.