1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Footage from a new Harry Potter RPG may have been leaked

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Download, Oct 2, 2018.

1. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No one likes a smug cunt Corvus.

2. Corvus Black

Corvus Black Professor

Only calling me out, huh? Nice.

3. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    Wow, I didn't think that's where the conversation would go when I went to sleep.

@Mordecai , I was genuinely trying to get an understanding of where you are coming from and help you understand where others were at the same time. I have a better idea now and thanks to @Shinysavage, I believe you do too. So I'm happy. It's a little worrying that you were so quick to dismiss me, even though I thought I was clear. If you don't regularly engage with the industry then it makes perfect sense that you're not willing to give JKR money in the form of supporting a video game, but for active participants there are bigger fish.

4. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    I didn't see anyone else being a smug cunt, so yeah.

5. Corvus Black

Corvus Black Professor

I was literally responding to someone being smug. You can't have missed it.

Also, please stop calling me a cunt.

6. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    Mordecai was being serious and making a sincere point; you responded like he was some kind of muppet.

Sorry, didn't realise you were English.

7. Corvus Black

Corvus Black Professor

It was the word "amazing" that didn't sit well with me. I probably shouldn't have responded, to be fair.

Is cunt not an offensive term in Australia?

8. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Wtf are yall doing? Back on topic.

9. BlitherBlip

BlitherBlip First Year

Moral objections are all good and well if you feel that strongly about it, but Rowling won't even notice one less person buying, only you will.

At the end of the day it's just another game, I dont actually care and I'm certainly not simping for J.K., but it feels kind of pointless to limit your enjoyment for no practical reason.

10. Silveron

Silveron First Year

High Score:
    ... I'm pretty sure we're all of the same age, roughly, to have had the thought of "I really wish they would make an open world RPG with good graphics." when it comes to Harry Potter (and Pokemon, fucking GameFreak), so this is a good sign for the future of the franchise. I never particularly cared for Cursed Child or Fantastic Beasts but this sort of blank slate game is ticking that box for me that the original HP games never could.

11. AlexIY

AlexIY Banned

If the game is actually good/fun I doubt people will boycott it. It's just something that people have wanted for far too long. Whether they make some sort of excuse about "Rowling having no involvement with the game" so it's fine or some other hopeless rationalization in order to attempt to disassociate from the woman that created the universe they love so much.

12. Redsayn

Redsayn Slug Club Member

Hogwarts Legacy will have trans-inclusive character creation.
    J.K. will still be making money off of it, so if anyone's decided not to purchase a copy because they don't want to reward someone with her views then the reasoning still stands. This is a step in the right direction though, hopefully it'll lead to more representation in the gaming industry.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  13. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    Ahahahahaha.

Seriously though, what are the odds that this will be the same as Cyberpunk's gender system.

14. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    Yeah, it‘s a good step, if it’s implemented with care rather than as a gimmick. I don‘t think I‘ll choose to play the game with a transgender character, but it‘s awesome that the choice is there for anyone who wants it. I’d rather have seen it in a game with a contemporary setting, but that‘s really my only nitpick.

(Meanwhile, the more cynical part of my brain is idly wondering whether there‘s going to be bathrooms in this version of Hogwarts, though…)

15. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wonder how they managed to get that one past JK...

16. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    Maybe they'll sidestep the issue by having characters just shit on the floor and Vanish it, or something whacky like that.

Doubt she had any input to it. It almost feels like a complete pisstake on JRK's whole stance (that being that trans women only do it so they can access women's bathrooms to prey on women or whatever it was), cause I doubt they're going to do the whole hog of having unique dialogue and character issues around being a transgender character, so we're likely to have a blatant male/female character living in the female/male dorms with NPCs reacting to them like they're the gender of the dorm they sleep in.

Ten bucks says it's a shitshow and half the coverage about the game will be overshadowed by how poorly it's implemented.

17. Cuirassier

Cuirassier Banned

Boys shit to the right, girls to the left. Transgenders shit wherever they want.

18. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    [​IMG]

19. GravityAP

GravityAP First Year

I really doubt she had any involvement tbh. But this could end up just being really bad if they try to go too in-depth or anything it could end up like cyberpunk. The best thing would be like design your face, pick your body type, pick your pronouns imo. But that might get backlash too so idk will probably be a shitshow regardless of what they do

20. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't know, she's had near absolute creative control over every film, game, and every other part of the franchise all along. It doesn't make much sense to me that suddenly she wouldn't be involved, unless there's been some behind the scenes stuff going on thats taken things out of her hands.

And yes, its likely to be poorly implemented, of course it is. A nuanced and controversial subject being portrayed in a game is almost always going to be poorly implemented.