1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other TV Shows

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Jul 24, 2016.

1. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, Star Trek Lower Decks is... kinda great?

It's basically just a fuckload of tame Rick and Morty style banter/humor rolled into an onslaught of Trekkie-only references.

And somehow it still manages to be the most "Star Trek" of all the CBS shows.

2. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Yeah, just started watching that myself. I can see where some of the nerd rage is coming from for a lot of trekkies out there, but as far as I'm concerned it's the first good thing to come out of the Star Trek franchise since... well, parts of The Next Generation I guess. One of the biggest flaws of the franchise that has kept me from ever really embracing it was how pompous and self-righteous it got after the Original Series. The Lower Decks might go a bit too far in the other direction, but it's definitely entertaining! Which is more than I can say for most of the other ST shows they've put out over the years.

Then again, I'm one of those who actually liked Enterprise, so maybe I'm not the best person to listen to if you're a hardcore trekkie...

3. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

Cobra Kai coming to netflix with season 3 hitting next year sometime.

4. Arthellion

High Score:
    This actually looks pretty fun

5. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    Is anyone here watching Ted Lasso?

It’s an Apple series about an American Football coach managing troubled Premier League side AFC Richmond.

If you’re wondering “Where do I know Ted Lasso from?”, the character is based on a character created for some NBC Sports commercials a couple of years ago, portrayed by Jason Sudeikis. Naturally, though, this version of Lasso is a lot more rounded.

Sudeikis also headlines this series, and is surrounded by a great supporting cast. The show has plenty of humour, much of it of the typical fish-out-of-water variety, but also plenty of heart. The writing, particularly from the third episode onward, is really good, and manages to hit some important emotional beats that properly flesh out the characters. I’d encourage everyone, but particularly football & PL fans, to give it a shot if you can watch it. There’s probbaly a couple of minutes worth of fat that could be trimmed from some episodes, but that’s the only complaint I have so far.

Five episodes have been released so far, with five to go and new ones hitting every Friday. A second season has already been confirmed.

6. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, I've seen the whole thing (don't ask me how) and it's great. Also has a solid season finale that works perfectly to setup the second season.

7. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman are doing another installment of their 'Long Way...' series. For those who haven't heard of it, the pair of them (along with a camera man, Claudio von Planta, and some support crew in trucks who follow a day or so behind) travel by motorbike across continents, the first show going from London to New York via Europe and Russia, and the second from Scotland through Europe and down Africa. This time they're doing 'Long Way Up', from the southern tip of Argentina all the way to Los Angeles...on electric bikes.

I've loved this show ever since I borrowed the first one from my public library on a whim when I was 15, and doing a similar trip has been a bucket list item for a decade now. I am very hyped to see how this series goes.

8. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    Update: The final episode of S1 is out now, and like all of the season, it was great.

I had a feeling things might go the way they ultimately did, but goddamnit if I wasn‘t hoping to be proven wrong after the Lasso Special. It certainly gives the writers plenty of options for S2.

In conclusion, “Football is life.”

9. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yes, and I particularly liked:

That Ted was one of the only people in the show never to use profanity, and he then used in his final scene of the season. Brilliant stuff.

I've seen some people complain about accuracy of the sports stuff, but honestly, it's hard to care about that sort of minutiae like the wrong color of a door. Thankfully they were renewed for a second season, so assuming they can still film, I'm looking forward to what comes next.

10. Arthellion

High Score:
    Fuck yes.....

11. Arthellion

High Score:
    The Zeus Memes are strong

12. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    I'm pretty down for this, been playing Hades obsessively lol. Very down for more Greek gods content in my life

13. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Can we just have a series based on Hades instead? Supergiant knows how to pack a game full of amazing characters.

14. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Part of what makes Hades great is the way the story and gameplay interact. Not sure a show would be able to replicate it.

15. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Probably not. I just miss Zagreus.

On Blood of Zeus - I'm not sure? I don't know if I enjoy the animation style particularly much. It doesn't look like anything I've seen from Netflix before. Can't say much about the story, but I hope they fill it with references to the mythology. I spent all my time reading Greek myths as a kid, and I love the stuff.

16. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Is this by the same animation studio who did Netflix Castlevania? The fight scenes will be fucking glorious if so.

17. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So, BBC America have released the first trailer for The Watch today. It is, apparently, based on the Watch books from Discworld. I mention this because if you watched the trailer unaware of that fact, you might not realise. I'm normally fine with adaptations being a bit loose with things, so long as the end product turns out well, but this is...bold, shall we say.

18. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    If I look at it as an original, rather than a butchery, I actually think it looks good.

In regards to my mental image of Discworld... It is a little divergent. In many ways.

19. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

I think the Sky movies were *incredibly* faithful representations of Discworld. Even the cartoons were actually pretty faithful, and I enjoyed them a lot.

This ... is not what I was expecting from the Watch series, but those were never my favorite books. I'll probably give it ... a Watch.

20. Deamonic

Deamonic Squib

Just binged The Haunting of Bly Manor and liked it. It's not as good as the Hill House (mostly), but still above average in the genre. The plot is little sluggish for the first few episodes, the children are irritating (which I think was intentional) but once it hits episode 5, it becomes rather good. The penultimate episode, episode 8, was by far the best one in this season (and one of best in both), which is why, unfortunately episode 9 came off as rather bland.