1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

General Competition Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Story Competitions' started by Ched, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

That would give me something to do over the next few days, since I'm almost done with my first, but it would kind of disadvantage people who are busier than I am. It would give the reviewers more work, which may result in there being fewer of them.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'd planned to have a non-DLP poll for this, but honestly I haven't seen many that are that much more robust than simply starting another thread with a new poll.

Authors can vote - but they are not allowed to vote for themselves. @Halt assures me that this is fair from a gaming perspective, and I believe him. That said, this means that I'd prefer if all the authors did actually go vote.

I will set it so that you can't see the results until after voting. You will not be able to change your votes.

Just an FYI there.

3. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    [​IMG]

Let's get those submissions rolling in, folks!

4. Chadrew

Chadrew Second Year

Perhaps we could agree on a standard for word count? It doesn't matter for longer stories, but can be important for shorter ones like in the latest competition. FocusWriter, Notepad++, and the Doc editor on fanfiction.net all give slightly different counts. I don't have MS Word but it probably does too.

5. Ched

If we agree on a standard that’s going to make it harder for people. I checked three different places for some of these, edited out line breaks, etc. All just to find ONE that set them down to 1200.

But sure - next time I’ll say MS Word or -website- just for clarity.

The only story that was too long though would have been caught by any counter online.

6. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    More flash competitions, please. I think the 800-1200 word count worked this time, and we had a nice turnout of submissions. It also required more effort than I had initially believed and inspires creativity, to work within the bounds of such few words.

7. Ched

Tentatively I'm going to split Q2 (April-May-June) into smaller comps again. :D

8. Ched

Thoughts on removing the 200-word requirement for reviews on our non-Flash entries?

I still feel strongly about it, personally, but it may have put some people off reviewing in the past. And it's clear from the current competition that most reviewers will write that much or more.

Still require a review from everyone who votes for every story, just no word count limit on it so it can be a single sentence as per the April Rules for Flash.

9. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    I dont have a problem with it. If you wanted to soften it, maybe make it "approximately" 200. And you as the director of this can determine if someone's abusing this. But it gives some leeway in case someone has a lot to say about many of them, but say one of them its only 150 words lol. Or something like that. I know I'm certainly not counting the words as I write the reviews, im just trying to be thorough with what I have to say

10. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Seconding what soczab suggested of leaving a director leeway to disqualify a review for abusing the trust we give them, if we're scrapping review word limits. Its obviously going to be context sensitive when you make your call, but it's perfectly in line with DLPs common sense moderation approach.

11. Ched

On another note - when my 'winner's prompt award' comes up in a poll it will be "Master and Apprentice" just so you know. I've been very good about not putting it in as a 'staff prompt' (/pats self on back) no matter how badly I wanted to force it.

Next competition in Q3 will probably be a mix of available prompts that either came in second for longer comps or won for shorter competitions, in case anyone wanted to have another chance.

12. Ched

Not a very good turn-out for Heist in terms of number of submissions, despite having over 2 months to write for it.

I think that soft-confirms that we don't really need many more comps than we were already having. We'll still have some shorter/flash comps in Q4 because of holidays, but can probably stick more to the standard format for the rest of the time.

Still planning on one HP and one Dresden comp next Q as advertised, but both will run the entire time period.

13. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

This author vote thing. I think they should either be forbidden or obligated to vote on the stories, but optional voting is flawed when you’ve a stake in the game.

14. Ched

@Halt ?

I recall discussing this with Halt in the past and I forget what his thoughts were.

I prefer authors being required to review/vote personally, because we get a lot more reviews when that happens, but you're right that it's flawed.

AT present ... I thought the rules we were using were that authors were encouraged to review but couldn't vote for themselves, which has led to some reviewing but then 'forgetting' to actually vote.

PM me if this is being abused somehow. But happy to discuss going forward.

Would authors be willing to always review/read or would that prevent you from writing?

15. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

Well... when we talk about forcing authors to review, we have to ask what punishment is in store if they don’t? Does their story get DQ’d? I’m against the idea because the authors have already contributed to the event by submitting— I’d rather try to incentivize people reviewing through some other way. Like a special title, points, giving their thumbs up a cool color...

16. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Blorcyn is correct. Either all of them are required to vote, or none of them are allowed to vote. Optional votes by authors is easily abusable. If they are required to vote, they cannot be allowed to vote for themselves (as we assume everyone will, so reduce the complexity by disallowing it).

17. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

It's an internet competition with the stakes of bragging rights, not an election. I personally would like to vote as an author, and had I gotten my story finished on time it wouldn't have changed my votes. In my opinion we can let authors vote too, without restriction.

18. Ched

The current rules state that authors can vote but not for themselves, which is your third scenario above.

I'm torn on 'authors must vote' vs 'authors can't vote' - I personally lean towards the latter with a strong request that they review regardless and just not vote.

Ideas on how to resolve this? Apart from Shouldabeenadog, how do other authors feel about it?

Edit: Also incoming Flash HP again, at least one small comp during the holiday season to go with the ongoing Dresden comp.

19. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

We could let authors post their votes, but ignore them while tallying?

20. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    If an author cant vote for themselves why wouldnt you want them to vote out of curiosity? I get the whole 'dont vote for yourself' argument since it can be a bit egotistical and sway the votes with a bias for yourself. But with that caveat, don't we just want as many people being active and reviewing and voting as possible?

I guess whats the 'bad' part about authors voting (with the caveat of no self vote)? I think im missing the conflict of interest in that scenario