1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fanfiction Confessions

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Prometheus VII

Prometheus VII First Year

I understand why anyone would drop the series. I definitely wouldn’t call it good perse. It’s indulgently overwritten, and there are a lot of moments where characters get stuck in iterations of the same conflict over and over again (sometimes for hundreds of thousands of words, which is incredibly frustrating). It’s a strange read because so much of it doesn’t work — it embodies a lot of the worst variations of its trope — but when it does work? Man... I still remember some scenes/moments of that series because of how much it felt like I earnt them.

Also, this lady was cranking out a 5,000 word chapter per day for almost three years. That’s fucking bonkers to me.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  2. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was in her Yahoo group back in the day while she was writing. She offered me a beta spot, but god damn I did not think I could handle that volume. She was an English teacher back then.

As much as I didn't enjoy the slash aspects, that was back in a time with wildly different standards, and it was good enough to have fun reading.

3. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wait, she was an English teacher...and she could crank out 5k words a day on top of her work? The fuck?

4. ExperiencedGamer

ExperiencedGamer Fourth Year

Confession: I had no idea what the 'Sacrifices' series is until today. Might try it; might not. We'll see.

The Draco Malfoy pairing doesn't exactly inspire enthusiasm in me. Or at all.

5. Mordecai

High Score:
    Honestly...its an absolute unicorn of HP fanfiction. Its a completed 7 year rewrite using a WBWL trope.

6. ExperiencedGamer

What's next, twin sister in Naruto- oh, wait.

Confession time: I've actually written a Naruto twin sister fic. Not completed, unfortunately, but ongoing.

Edit: with no bashing of the sister, nor anyone... though Danzo and the Third DO come close. I have some standards. :p

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  7. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I know that I did read Sacrifices up until the fourth or fifth book, but I don't remember anything about it, other than eventually getting fed up with how angsty it was.

Confession: I don't mind the occasional bash fic.

8. SeverusTheKnight

SeverusTheKnight First Year

9. ruki88

ruki88 Squib

Well, now. Any titles you might recommend, please? Because I don't think I ever read one and I am REALLY interested.

10. cucio

cucio Groundskeeper

High Score:
  11. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's a Harry/Pansy that's actually quite good but for the life of me I can't remember the title. @Sesc You're bound to know this one.

12. ExperiencedGamer

Quidditch fic? What about 'Loose Cannon'? Though a bit too much slice of life for my tastes, IIRC.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13452914/1/Loose-Cannon

Edit: Author's summary:
    He survived the war—now it's time to grow up. Fourteen months after the Battle of Hogwarts, an overheard, off-the-cuff comment turns Harry's life upside-down. Goodbye Auror training, hello Chudley Cannons! And witches ... lots of witches (but no harem). Warning: Many tropes were harmed in the writing of this fic, and Cursed Child never happened. OCs galore. NO MORTAL PERIL.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  13. HeirGaunt

HeirGaunt First Year

I enjoy sick fics. Fics that are alright when you first read them, but when you think about it, there are some incredible unfortunate implications. E.g Contractual Invalidation.

I also enjoy OP combat monster protagonists that are defecient in other respects. E.g I'm Still Here or Learning to Breathe.

I love badass Ron not because I like him as character, but because I am sick and tired of Ron bashing. E.g Fate or the Red Knight.

14. Mordecai

High Score:
    I don't think I've ever once read a fic and considered the contractual validity implications...

15. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

In case you arn't kidding I'm pretty sure he's talking about @Republic fic Contractual Invalidation. The implications of a marriage contract are the deliberate focus. It's been a good few years since I read it though so not sure as to what the unintentional unfortunate implications would be.

16. Mordecai

High Score:
    Ahhhh, right that makes a lot more sense. Didn't realise it was the name of an actual fic.

17. zugrian

zugrian Fourth Year

Most of the stuff I enjoy in fanfic is the type of thing that DLP hates. Fluff, romance, happy endings... and yes, some OP Harry stuff too.

I can even enjoy bashing, if the bashing is amusing-- not the typical 'Dumbledore stealing Harry's money, Ginny feeding him love potions' garbage.

18. HeirGaunt

HeirGaunt First Year

19. Amythyr

Amythyr Squib

I hate tragedies.

I also have a tendency to search online if an important character dies or not if i get the vibe from the book. And then drop the book if i loved the character.

20. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

If a story mentions the pairing in the summary I won't read it unless it comes highly recommended. I assume there will be too much focus on the pairing itself for me to enjoy it if the author put it in the summary.