1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Writing Marathon - 2021

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Lindsey, Dec 31, 2020.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

What's this sound I hear?

Tap... tap... tap-clicktaptaptap-

...Can it be?

Yes! It is! Its-

WORDS!!!

Thousands and thousands of words from our dozens of members, each with a beautiful story to tell.

Don't you want to be a part of that?

Come join us. Join the 2021 Writing Marathon and share those beautiful, beautiful words.

Click this google spreadsheet link, put your name in the name column, and begin your writing journey.

Let us start the new year off right: writing, plotting, worldbuilding.

Together, we will create the greatest of stories.

[​IMG]

@Silirt, @Vira, @VereorNox, @Anarchy, @Roarian, @Blorcyn, @Halt, @Eilyfe, @BTT, @TheWiseTomato, @Frickles, @Zeelthor, @M.L., @Jeram, @Paradise, @CrackedMind, @Selethe, @Paladin, @H_A_Greene (Zenzao), @TMD, @FitzDizzyspells, @Nexis, @Ched, @TA, @Majube, @sonder, @Sataniel, @Striker, @Tsar, @Utsane, @manatee-vs-walrus, @Khaine

2. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Line break!

3. Threadmarks: 2021 Writing Goals
    Lindsey

2021 Writing Goals!
    Let us use this space to write down our 2021 writing resolutions! By writing it down, we will have a set of goals we can look back to and motivate each other with. For your own sanity, I suggest having a few goals, some easier than others. You want to be able to look back over the months and see the progress you've made and the goals you've hit. This will help motivate you rather than stress you out.

Some good goals are:
    - What is the bare minimum word count you wish to hit?
    - How many days in a row do you want to write without stopping?
    - A story you wish to finish, or certain chapters?
    - Want to enter a DLP competition.
    - etc, etc.

For example, my goals for 2021 are the following:
    - Get back into writing. It has been months since I've written anything at all.
    - Enter at least one DLP competition. I don't even need to win, just enter something.
    - Finish chapter one of my Dresden Files fic.
    - Finish my short story in my Ottoman-Harry fic.
    - Make good progress in my Ottoman-Harry fic. Half way perhaps?
    - Stop procrasinating so much when I start writing. Even if it sucks, write some words every other day.
    - beat @Blorcyn 2021 totals.

4. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Gonna copy and paste my writing goals over from the 2020 thread.

For 2021:

- Continue writing 2k a day.
    - Finish the ninth draft of my first book.
    - Write a query letter and synopsis for my first book.
    - Get an agent for my first book.
    - Finish the second draft of Autumn Key.
    - Write the first draft of Purgatory.
    - Finish the second draft of Oceania.
    - Finish the first draft of Monastery.
    - Start the first draft of Twilight if I have time.

I may change the order of these around, but my first book comes first. It’s a ridiculous list now that I’m looking at it, but writing 2k a day allows that sort of progress. SO I BETTER KEEP THAT UP.

5. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

> I hope to hit 250k this year. Less than last year, but I'm hoping my circumstances change (for the better)
    > Finish a story. That's always the hope.
    > Post a story. I don't think I posted a single story last year.
    > Try and spend some of my creative juices on something original.

6. Advice Needed

Advice Needed Banned

- What is the bare minimum word count you wish to hit?
    Per day? 300. Per month? At least 5,000.

- How many days in a row do you want to write without stopping?
    I'm going to go with 3 days so I don't disappoint myself.

- A story you wish to finish, or certain chapters?
    Cleaved. If I can manage to update twice a month I should be able to finish it by the end of the year. Chapter summaries are mostly done and I've written interesting scenes here and there I just have to piece everything together.

- Want to enter a DLP competition.
    Maybe, depends on my writing progress and how fast I inevitably break these goals lol.

7. manatee-vs-walrus

manatee-vs-walrus Squib

My most pressing goal is to keep publishing one chapter a week. I currently have 27 chapters not yet published, so I don't think there's much risk I'll fall that far behind. But it would really suck if I did, and I definitely don't want to abandon.

It would be great if I could finish one chapter/week (average chapter length is ~9000 words), but one chapter every two weeks is more realistic.

I would love to slip back into the zone, like I was pre-pandemic, and churn out 1-2 chapters every week. I'm not counting on it, but I'll put it out there nonetheless.

Goal for annual word count? For now I'll say 300K, and I'll revisit mid-year.

8. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

-I think 1500 a day is good. I've only been doing 2000 because of a couple different projects going on at once. There are things I like about it, like taking a break from one story to write another, but sometimes it's a bit of a load. I don't really see this as a competition to write the most out of everyone, so when I get done with this one story, I probably am not going to replace that with anything else.
    -all of them
    -I'll certainly finish book 5 of the HP series, and I've been looking forward to that. I should finish the Clannad story in the near future, but it's become a sort of daily writing exercise, and I find I don't really care if it ends up longer than a Marcel Proust novel.
    -I can't say. I don't want to give people any idea whether or not I enter any given competition, so I would prefer not to reveal what my condition is for entry. There was one time someone guessed my story on the discord and I felt like it would be against the spirit of the competition unless I made it harder to guess.

9. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    -Ideally, I'd like to hit 50k this year, realistically just 20k is my minimum goal
    -Consistently a few days a week
    - I'd like to just post a story
    - Definitely enter a dlp comp, I haven't entered any so far

10. Khaine

Khaine Fourth Year

High Score:
    My goal for the year is rather simple as I would like to:
    - Write a story of at least 60K words
    - Post a story.
    -Write at several short stories for my worldbuilding project.

11. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

Inkslinger goals for 2021:
    • Finish the last arc of Rise, my current story, and with that the rough draft
    • Get Rise into better shape and cut away some of the flabby bits
    • Start publishing Rise on FF.net
    • Maybe, if the mood strikes me, try my hand at poetry

12. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Finish a short story project I've been avoiding for about two years now. Deals with Little Red Riding hood and is projected to be roughly 10k long.

Write lots of other shit too.

Edit: Enter more of the DLP comps (though I typically enter at least one a year anyway). Everyone else should do this too - good practice!

13. Utsane

Utsane Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I just wanna stick with writing.

14. Story Content: Quarter 1 - 2021
    Lindsey

QUARTER ONE

We have started off incredible strong with DLP writing a whopping 794,166 words since the beginning of the year with @Silirt writing almost a fourth of them alone (insanity). This has led to our all-time writing total breaking 3.9 MILLION WORDS. I want to thank all of you who've joined and participated in this last quarter and welcome anyone who wishes to join. The writing marathon is open to everyone who wants to push themselves to write more.

Now, a round of applause for our three winners: @Silirt, @Vira, and @Anarchy!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

@Silirt, @Vira, @VereorNox, @Anarchy, @Roarian, @Blorcyn, @Halt, @Eilyfe, @BTT, @TheWiseTomato, @Frickles, @Zeelthor, @M.L., @Jeram, @Paradise, @CrackedMind, @Selethe, @Paladin, @H_A_Greene, @TMD, @FitzDizzyspells, @Nexis, @Ched, @TA, @Majube, @sonder, @Sataniel, @Striker, @Tsar, @Utsane, @manatee-vs-walrus, @Khaine, @Niez, @Meerkats, @Golden Shadow, @Omega

15. Ched

Wooohooo! Not last!

16. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

I who will soon awaken.

17. Lindsey

This is a reminder for those who are not on discord. I will be locking May's writing column in a few days. Don't forget to update or you won't get the chance.

If you don't know your total word count, that is fine, just give an estimate of what you think you wrote.

@Silirt, @Vira, @VereorNox, @Anarchy, @Roarian, @Blorcyn, @Halt, @Eilyfe, @BTT, @TheWiseTomato, @Frickles, @Zeelthor, @M.L., @Jeram, @Paradise, @CrackedMind, @Selethe, @Paladin, @H_A_Greene, @TMD, @FitzDizzyspells, @Nexis, @Ched, @TA, @Majube, @sonder, @Sataniel, @Striker, @Tsar, @Utsane, @manatee-vs-walrus, @Khaine, @Niez, @Meerkats, @Golden Shadow, @Omega

18. Ched

Update mine by 2000 words? I think it was a little more but that’s plenty.

My computer has been down for weeks now but I did a bit on the laptop while on vacation.

19. Story Content: Quarter 2 - 2021
    Lindsey

QUARTER TWO

Yes, I am extremely late at posting. It has been a hell of a month for me. I didn't even get to write a single word in July. :(

Moving away from my self pity, let us have a round of applause for the 805,115 words DLP has written between April and June. Incredible. We are now over 4.75 MILLION WORDS. I want to thank all of you who've continued to update the speadsheet despite my poor planning and lack of reminders.

Now, a round of applause for our three winners: @Silirt, @Vira, and @Omega!

upload_2021-8-9_20-0-27.png
    [​IMG]

Lastly, I've noticed that many people have not updated their word counts for July. Only 6 people have posted any word count for July, while over 15 people have entered the flash competition. Use the spreadsheet. Track dem words.

20. Ched

On vacation on phone - add …. It’s over 3000 but under 3500.

Add 3100 for me for July? I need to check if I counted something else yet or not but at least I know I wrote the amount above last week July.

Not open for further replies.