1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

I need help getting started.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Lynn Skye, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Lynn Skye

Lynn Skye Banned

Hi comrades, how are you?

So I started writing a new fanfic and I have a little problem, I have no idea how to start introducing the story!

What most pisses me off, is that I have the WHOLE plot already worked out in my head. But the damn introduction (the first chapters.) I don't know how to do it!

I want to somehow make Harry run away from the Dursley's, but in the process he ends up accidentally hurting his uncles. Nothing serious, but an accidental attack of magic. But I want a context for that, not just "Vernon comes home from work, asks Harry to do something, he does it wrong, Vernon goes and hits the boy by breaking his ribs."

Harry is found and adopted by Orion Black (He and Walburga are not dead.)

2. Niez

Niez Competition Winner CHAMPION ⭐⭐

Usual advice is just to write whatever comes to mind, even if its just a place holder, and then after you've written the next few chapters return to your introduction/chapter one and edit accordingly.

3. Hansar

Hansar Second Year

You could just begin the story after that scene happens and introduce us to Harry in the process of running away or being found by Orion. It doesn't sound like the exact circumstances are at all important to the plot and as far as Orion and Walburga would be concerned, being forced to live with muggles is reason enough for Harry to attack them and escape, so the fine details probably won't even need to be brought up.

4. MuggsieToll

MuggsieToll Seventh Year

Start the story with Harry going through a trash can in downtown London looking for something to eat. He's been on the street for a couple days to a week. He's tired, he's smelly, he's hungry, and he's getting desperate. He's already dodged a couple violent/unstable homeless people, been kicked out of a hotel lobby bathroom for trying to clean up in the sink, and almost been caught in a supermarket trying to shoplift some granola bars.

You can introduce how he got there with little flash backs as he eats a moldy curry or slice of pizza. Vernon ordered him to prune the flowers or polish all the shoes, Harry fucked it up, and when Vernon goes to take the belt to him, Harry's magic throws him across the room into the china hutch

Harry is curling up in a dark, dank doorway for the night when Orion walks buy and trips over his leg that sticking out into the street. Harry goes to bolt but is grabbed by Orion, who instantly recognizes him as the BWL.

5. Lynn Skye

Lynn Skye Banned

Thank you! I already wrote down here, I liked your introduction.