1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Your predictions for the fanfics of 2020

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by BTT, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Mahir Abdullah

Mahir Abdullah Muggle

True but one can always dream.

2. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

The Santi will reappear from the aether, post one new chapter to Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived and disappear again.

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Lots and lots and lots of SI wankfics.

4. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I'm hoping with all this time at home, someone finishes a book series that is actually as engaging as when I first read HP and then fanfic gets written about it. I'm jaded, and my outlook on the future is limited. As of now I just get some surprise stories that are easily consumable, but lack the magic they used to have. I'm saddened by that.

5. Dekazon

Dekazon Squib

High Score:
    I'm curious if the global #StayHome from all this is going to reinvigorate writer interest in the fanfic scene (or at least get some quality hiatused fanfics updated).

6. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

Seems unlikely.

My prediction for this year is that Harry Potter fanfiction will manage to become even more boring and derivative than it already was. The only flickering light in the darkness will be a few crossovers with interesting concepts that I will not read because they'll be with some fandom I don't know and, as a curmudgeonly old bastard, I don't like new things.

Maybe we'll see one of those rarest of birds, a semi-decent HP/Fleur story at some point in August that gets abandoned by November, just before it reaches the payoff.

7. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

It did for me.

8. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Doubt.

9. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I think we’ll see at least a few random fics get updated during this time.

Feel like Shezza will come back from the dead and post a few updates for Konoha’s ANBU (at least I can hope).

10. Darkcrow

Darkcrow Squib

Harry/Delphi(Father/daughter) In Marauders era.

11. Topgundragster

Topgundragster First Year

agreeable. On a meta scale, JKR losing her followers

12. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I mean we've pretty much already seen that. Of course not anywhere close to all or even most of them but she's tarnished her rep a lot. Her name was a banned word on r/hpff for a while lmao.

13. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Interesting seeing this post of mine after about a year. I went to check the numbers now and it looks like Star Wars has actually grown more than the MCU (Star Wars: +3.8K, MCU +1.8K fics added since my post). I’m going to put it down to two things I probably couldn’t have foreseen at the time; COVID leading to the biggest drought in MCU content in a decade, and the Mandalorian being as big as it is (assuming that doesn’t have its own category? Regardless it still revived interest in SW from what I can see).

My 2021 prediction then is that my 2020 prediction finally comes true. With the glut of movies and Disney+ shows coming with new Marvel content I’d give them pretty good odds at it. I think the new Star Wars shows are a while out and I’m more skeptical of their potential quality, but I’d love to be proven wrong.

The dark horse in all this is how much endurance the Kylo Ren/Rey shipping community has, but that’s... not something I’ll be spending time looking into.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more surprised I am by the lack of MCU fics. I really haven’t seen nearly as many stories set around Infinity War/End Game as compared to around the first Avengers movie. Anyone have theories as to why that might be? Whedon’s writing being more appealing to fanfic, or the amount of characters and different storylines making things more difficult to keep track of?

14. thejabber27

thejabber27 Groundskeeper

Probably more Quests, I'm waiting to see if Gacha-fics catch on because weebs love their Waifus.

15. Eirene

Eirene Squib

Probably will stay as it is...lots of shit or average work with a few very good ones?

16. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

Maybe people find it more appealing to start at the beginning where they can shape and change the story to go in wildly different ways? IW/EG is basically the climax of a story and if you start there you have to write based on 10 years of precedence and story telling. I'm just speculating though.

17. Golden Shadow

Golden Shadow Fourth Year

Godamn how'd you know.

The author announced an OC rewrite and original story conclusion.

Hopefully it turns out like what 50 shades was to twilight.