1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WandaVision (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Jan 17, 2021.

1. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Since we've had numerous posts talking about it, let's just start a thread.

[​IMG]

The first two eps are out on Disney+.

Really great so far. I love the Bewitched throwbacks (the magic show was derptastic), and Olsen and Bettany are killing it. Looking forward to the other sitcoms they are planning to spoof. The 80s era one looks like Full House, which I expect will be hilariously meta given Olsen's sisters.

Any thoughts on what is going on beneath the surface? Wanda is in a mindscape of some sort, and she has a large degree of control over events, but who is monitoring her and why?

2. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @KHAAAAAAAN!! I'd like to posit that she's actually not in a mindscape, but some sort of alternate reality. Or...she's imposing this reality on the current one.

Plays into the Dr. Strange sequel coming up.

That said, I love the first two episodes. Olsen and Bettany are legit.

3. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Very possible.

Did anyone recognize the voice on the radio? Sounded like Hawkeye to me, but it was garbled so I'm only like 50% on that.

4. Arthellion

High Score:
    Honestly, I know it's unlikely, but it sounded like Steve to me.

5. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

It’s jimmy woo from shield, randall park is credited.

6. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Agnes is most likely Agata Harkness and her husband Ralph she frequently mentions could possibly be Mephisto, Marvel's version of Satan.

7. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Episode 3 was even better than the 1st two. Nuff said.

Now I'm thinking that Wanda has had some sort of psychic meltdown and this sitcom world with the forcefield is her own sort of mental safe room thing. Shield is trying to break her out of it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  8. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Look at "Geraldine's" necklace again. It's not SHIELD, it's SWORD.

Also, if you want to know who Geraldine actually is:
    It's Monica Rambeau, who was just a kid in Captain Marvel. Here she is with her mother and Carol. [​IMG]

9. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Ive been.... kind of disappointed by WandaVision so far. I love the Twilight Zone esque stuff, but most of the sitcom humor just isnt very funny. Like its a spot on homage to those eras but the first two episodes dragged for me.

The third episode was the funniest/most exciting- but this feels like a show that once its done I’ll like it a lot more. Its just plodding forward soooooooo slowly. I liked the “one episode a week” trend when it came to the Mandalorian but WandaVision mightve benefited from it all dropping at once.

10. KGB

KGB Headmaster

It's the weekly releases that are killing my interest in this show.

The 50s homage stuff got old really fast.
    And I started to fast forward, in order to get to meat of the plot. But than I ran out of episode.

Currently waiting for the season to be over so that I can watch it. But there is a pretty good chance I will just forget.

11. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was completely underwhelmed by the first episode. Didn't really enjoy the humour, found the whole dinner party plotline quite tedious. Characters didn't feel at all like characters. I was watching Elizabeth Olsen not Wanda Maximoff. So the show successfully captured the sensibility of the shows of the era it was imitating. Unfortunately that era had shit TV.

Kept watching largely out of a sense of obligation - the suspicion that you will need to have watched this to understand later Marvel content.

However, episodes 2 and 3 were much more engaging. The surface plot was sufficiently entertaining, the acting was less 4th wall breaking, and the mystery begins to grab you by the horns.

Now very much anticipating the rest. Still not particularly interested in the "TV through the ages" gimmick but the underlying mystery is engaging enough to keep me interested.

12. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I really enjoy the series, but I really like when the series have special episodes in different styles or genres and for now it is basically this all the time.

They should probably keep double episodes, at least for these short ones.

If as many suggest, Mephisto is involved then I'm guessing he's trying to get Wanda do something for him and returning Vision with this world for the two of them is what he's proposing in return. Add that she's probably not exactly stable and the SWORD are doing their best to stop her.

Agnes is probably Mephisto's agent, but one that is not exactly very helpful to her boss and does everything she can to annoy him. Like complaining about her husband.

13. M.L.

M.L. Groundskeeper

I’m not certain if Mephisto is really a MCU type thing though. Seems like the type of stuff they might stay away from.

14. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    There are Mephisto easter eggs all over the MCU. I could easily see them staying away from the Christian allegory of it all, and reworking him into something different though.

15. Celestin

The easy way is make Mephisto a made-up persona of another powerful being who just plays it to amuse himself. I would go with the Beyonder because it sets up a main player of the inevitable Secret Wars.

16. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
  17. Celestin

I liked the beginning of the episode and both the disappearance and the return should be more explored in the MCU series.

At the moment everything suggests that Wanda is not there against her will. The questions is there someone else involved? It could be that Wanda created this world on her own and that put her on someone's radar. Agnes then would be their agent to figure out if they could use her powers for their plans. Or it could be that this villain helped her use her powers to bring Vision back and Agnes is there to guard her while she's learning more.

18. Arthellion

High Score:
    Or maybe wandas just crazy? :p

loved the episode but gonna wait for season to be over to watch Episodes are too short.

19. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, I think it's fairly likely now that the premise is she can't deal with Vision's death, has gone completely cray-cray, and has set up this sitcom reality as a coping mechanism. Mystery more or less resolved.

My prediction now is that Vision is going to be the one to convince her to shut the sitcom reality down and accept that he's dead. There was something in his eye in the final scene of episode 4 that suggested that, even though he is some sort of illusion created by Wanda, she seems to have imbued that illusion with sufficient intelligence that it might actually understand its own nature. Maybe it even has enough of the real Vision's character/independence agency that he can convince Wanda of things she doesn't want to hear.

20. Celestin

That's possible, but in my opinion they wouldn't give as many suggestions that there is someone else involved. It would make them all pointless and there is no easier way to make the audience angry than make them speculate about things that ended up to be nothing.

I'm guessing this is the real Vision, but Wanda is unable to have him fully repaired to work without being around her. She was given powers by the same Infinity Stone and could work as a replacement. If the plan is not to have her fully behind what happened, it could be that what was just her attempt to fix him then escalated when the powers started to control her. That's basically how they explained everything she did in the comics that caused damage to other people like in House of M.