1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars: Fallen Order

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Arthellion, Apr 12, 2019.

1. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's a very solid action-adventure-puzzle game, with movement and puzzle mechanics similar to PS4 God of War and the Uncharted games. Some of the temple puzzles actually had me well and truly stumped, as there is no real hint system. Lots of little moments where you need to use your force powers in clever/unexpected ways to get past an obstacle.

The combat is nothing spectacularly innovative, but it is at least fun and visually sumptuous. Difficulty is really only challenging at Master+, where literally any combat mistake = death.

Graphics are great and the landscapes are incredibly immersive and cool. First game in years that truly feels Star Warsy.

The big pitfall of the game is the lack of real customization and secondary rpg elements. A large part of the exploration aspect is spent running around finding all these secret treasures and bits and bobs that ultimately don't give you any game benefits beyond an extended health bar. Almost all of it is just vanity stuff for your droid/ship/poncho/saber. Combat progression is derived solely from your level-based skill tree.

Story is okay. Spoiler-free summary:

You're a Padawan who survived Order66. You join a crew with another jedi-on-the-lam and you go off on quest with the endgoal of rebuilding the Jedi Order. Main antagonist is Second Sister, a tortured kinda sexyugly edgelord chick. She and the rest of the Inquisitors are tasked by Vader with rooting out the remaining Jedi. The game also deals with the murky and not so pleasant origins of Inquisitors a la mind rape. Nothing about the story will blow you away, but on the whole, it's fine.

All in all, it is the best Star Wars game since OG Force Unleashed and was well worth the AAA price tag, so if you can get it on the cheap, definitely definitely worth picking up.

2. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've been playing through this over the MLK weekend, and I'm about 70% through, I reckon. I like the story, I like the characters, I like the little in-game puzzles. I'm pretty meh about the powers/abilities leveling system.

But I am so fucking tired of this dog-shit combat system. It's fucking awful. I eventually got fed-up and switched the game onto 'Story Mode' because I gave zero fucks anymore about dying repeatedly and for stupid-ass reasons because some low-level chuckle-fuck storm trooper gets a lucky hit with his cattle prod because my back is turned.

Maybe I just don't get the trick of the melee system, but I don't think so. It's just aggravating junk.

But hey, on story mode, this game is a lot of fun.

3. yargle

yargle Professor

It's pretty much timing and maneuverability. Sucks for me as I didn't come installed with a sense of rhythm. Also, when blocking/parrying there is slight delay between the button press and the action occurring.

I really need to get back to my Grandmaster playthrough sometime.

4. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    You really just have to dodge and parry everything at the highest difficulty. Because literally every enemy can one shot or very nearly one shot you with any attack. They really overtuned the speed of the attacks too, so it's not 'fun' difficult. Just frustrating.

5. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Heh. Love how there's three pages of pre-release hype/discussion, then like half a dozen comments post-release.

Anyway, I also got round to playing this over the last couple of weeks, and for the most part I enjoyed it a lot. The combat is satisfying, although I found myself not really bothering with most of the extra attacks that you develop over the course of the game, which probably accounted for more of the combat challenge than anything else; the platforming was amazing when it was going well, and absolute bullshit when it wasn't. Some of the puzzles crossed the line into frustrating for me personally, but to be fair, a lot of the time once I realised what the solution was I was kicking myself.

Story/character wise, it's all very solid without ever being particularly amazing, although I will say that despite having been spoiled on the general nature of the game's big climactic twist, that scene still worked incredibly well
    that being Vader's appearance. I knew it was coming, but holy shit.
    More generally, the plot is pretty predictable, partly through genre-savviness, partly through knowledge of the franchise.
    Cere's apprentice went through mysterious trauma? OK, starting the clock on how long it is before Second Sister identifies herself...Mysterious guy in a black robe chilling in a necropolis? He's evil you say? The holocron full of the names of force sensitives for an order that never happened in canon? Wonder what's going to happen there?

My only real complaint is the lack of a fast travel system, and that only really came about towards the end of the game; having to run through the entire level (shortcuts aside) is fine if there's a lot to do, but when you're trying to get to one last secret on the other side of the map...granted, that's probably only really an issue if you're interested in collectables, given the largely cosmetic nature of the secrets, but still. There was one point where there was a secret that I knew was going to maximise my force bar, so at least somewhat useful, and it took me the best part of two hours to get there and back. It was literally the only thing left for me to collect on the planet, but because the map is, shall we say, tricky to use properly, and because getting there involves some elaborate platforming, it was a real PITA.

6. Leo1980s

Leo1980s First Year

High Score:
    I purchased this when it first came out & would probably recommend it now if it is on sale.

It IS a good game however for the price I paid for (~50) it lacks replayability. You can't play through on easy & work your way up to hard or rather you can, but it isn't at all fun to do so. I have played 16 hours & have no urge to go back for more.

As others have mentioned the combat system isn't particularly fun to play. As a PC-gamer I felt it was trying very hard to have a console style combat system that didn't crossover well with PC. Its perfectly playable on story mode but there is nothing fun about playing it on hard. It is as though the developers were trying to replicate the combat system of Shadows of Mordor & failed miserably.

The best bit about the game is the graphics, really nicely done. The maps are large & detailed but expect to do alot of running as fast travel isn't a thing. Similiarly the story is good though I'd have liked a bit more & there are plenty of puzzles to keep you going a while.

7. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Huh...I really enjoyed the combat system. It wasn't necessarily great, but it was fun. The combat system was Sekirou for casuals and I found it fun blocking blaster bolts. My only negative is that lightsaber combat should involve disemberment.

8. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Most of the finishers had some dismemberment, didn't they?

And yeah I also enjoyed the combat, just not at Grandmaster. What I frequently found myself doing on my second playthrough was dropping the difficulty in the overworld, but then bumping it back up on boss fights.

9. yargle

yargle Professor

Beasts and droids. Never people.

10. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I played it with the EA Play basic monthly access thingy, for 5€ per month, it now includes this game. So if you want you can basically play it once and then cancel your subscription, which is the way to go because I don't feel like I need to replay it.

I did play most of the game on a middling difficulty, changing to story mode for various boss fights (more towards the end) because I guess I lack the force to properly time shit. I agree with Shinysavage on the annoyance that is tracking through all the level just to get back to the ship. And the collectibles don't really attract me.

I also had to look up the solution to some puzzles, though sometimes the issue was that I knew what to do, I just didn't do it exactly the way the game intended. I also thought I'd go to Dathomir first before continuing the story, because I didn't want to miss out on content. So after a bunch of much tougher fights I found I couldn't continue - because I wasn't meant to. So why could I?

Despite all those niggles, I had fun and would recommend the game.

11. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Cal Good Ol' Boy Kestis coming to Jedi: Survivor

[​IMG]

12. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Is this the Neckbeard skin?

13. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

There's customization now in the game, you can change his jacket, pants, hair, beard and the usual lightsaber stuff.

All meaningless to me if the lightsaber combat is treated like a baseball fight.

14. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Can you make him look less like a shaved orangutan though?

I dunno what it is, but something about the RL -> 3d model transition made the guy look like a fucking monkey, and it was very distracting for every cutscene in the first game.

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Reportedly there is a lot more nuance to the combat, with more stances, more moves, more combos, and noticeably different advantages/disadvantages to each stance.

But I don't see the "baseball bat" aspect of it changing much. Like, I still very much doubt you're going to be able to cut people in half with single strikes and mow through grunts like a waterdancer.

Human dismemberment was definitely added though. Arms and legs are flying off of stormtroopers in the stance demo from last month.

16. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

PC requirements are out.

Minimum:
    • RAM: 8Gb
    • CPU Features: 4 core / 8 threads
    • CPU* AMD: Ryzen 5 1400
    • GPU** AMD: Radeon RX 580
    • GPU Features: DX12, 8Gb VRAM
    • Storage: 155Gb
    • *CPU alternate: Intel Core i7-7700
    • **GPU alternate: Nvidia GTX 1070
    Recommended:
    • RAM: 16Gb
    • CPU Features: 4 core / 8 threads
    • CPU* AMD: Ryzen 5 5600X
    • GPU** AMD: RX 6700 XT
    • GPU Features: DX12, 8Gb VRAM
    • Storage: 155Gb SSD
    • *CPU alternate: Intel Core i5 11600K
    • **GPU alternate: Nvidia RTX2070

17. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    I used to have the recommended specs, and now I'm right at the minimum ones . I'd need to get a new SSD either way though.

18. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

Played a few hours on pc on release.

About two hours in there was a cutscene that crashed my game every time.

Still baseball bat fights against other lightsaber users.

However it definitely feels like a direct continuation of the previous game. Late game enemies from the first game appear in the first few hours, abilities and sabers that were locked at the start of the last game are immediately available. It's just

Kinda boring?

19. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I finished the Coruscant section, enjoyed it though im excited to move forward with the story.

I was lowkey a little shocked by the ninth sister reappearance, and her boss battle was exactly as annoying as it was in FO. Felt very satisfied to kill her after dying so many times to her in two games lol. Also loved them setting up Cal’s new crew just for them to all get ganked from the getgo. Bode living feels very sus to me, I bet he’s a spy

20. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They added more disemberment. Still not perfect, but i'm mostly happy :)