1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The best time travel fanfics! (In my opinion) Let's discuss this!

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Snowy, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Snowy

Snowy First Year

Hellooooooo guys...

So, today i'm here to show you, in my opinion the best time travel fanfics!!
    So, let's do it!

In first, I think is impossible talk about time travel fanfics and not to mention "Delenda Est"

Delenda Est by Lord Silvere:
    That was the first time travel fanfic I read!

Harry is a prisoner, and Bellatrix has fallen from grace. The accidental activation of Bella's treasured heirloom results in another chance for Harry. It also gives him the opportunity to make the acquaintance of the young and enigmatic Bellatrix Black as they change the course of history.

Passageways by jerrway66: (This one is NOT complete, it seems to be abandoned, but I still highly recommend you read it.)

Hogwarts Castle decides to interfere in the lives of two of its students to change the past and future from a terrible war and giving the pair an opportunity to find something more than just protection within its walls. AU Story, Political, Fed-up Harry, OC Dumbledore.

Wind Shear by Chilord:

A sharp and sudden change that can have devastating effects. When a Harry Potter that didn't follow the path of the Epilogue finds himself suddenly thrown into 1970, he settles into a muggle pub to enjoy a nice drink and figure out what he should do with the situation. Naturally, things don't work out the way he intended.

The last Peverell by animerocker646 (Fem!Harry)

Being the Master of Death made life difficult, especially when you need to save all of magical Europe from inbreeding its way to extinction. At least Death was enjoying watching his Master attempt this over and over again. Harry didn't find it nearly as entertaining. Well, tenth times the charm right? (FemHarry)

Stepping Back by TheBlack's Resurgence

Post-OOTP. The episode in the DOM has left Harry a changed boy. He returns to the Dursley's to prepare for his inevitable confrontation with Voldemort, but his stay there is very short-lived. He finds himself in the care of people who he has no choice but to cooperate with and they give him a startling revelation: Harry must travel back to the 1970's to save the wizarding world.

All according to plan by LysandraLeigh: (
    This is "inverted", Bellatrix time travels for Harry's third year! It is a mention of honor.)

Thirteen-year-old Bella Black intended to go back in time to start a war in service to her patron goddess. Ritual magic goes awry and she finds herself in 1993, faced with a failing House of Black, an insane alter ego, and a Dark Lord on the rise. Chaos ensues. Title drop. (A collaboration by LeighaGreene and inwardtransience)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

What are your favorites? I put here the ones that came to mind, in case I read something new or remember something that fits, I will add it here later. So, let me know what are your favorites !!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

2. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Mine.

Don't actually go read it though the version I have on my hard drive is miles better than what is published here and nnnearly finished.

Other than that

Fuzzy Logic
    Time loop for kyuubi no kitsune who manages to escape the Naruto sealing, very AU but good for a laugh - complete

Full Circle
    Harry/Tom soulbond rebirth time travel slash crack fic. Amused the hell out of me.

3. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Timely Errors
    Harry Potter never had much luck, being sent to his parents’ past should have been expected. 'Complete' Time travel fic.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Backward with Purpose Part I and Part II are decent and in my experience also a bit unique. It's in the library and unless it's aged very poorly I'd guess it's still 4/5.

October is one that's weird AF and that I personally enjoy, but it's definitely not gonna be for everyone. I rate it 4/5 though.

@Jeram has far too many time travelers.

Oh, and Resurrect the Living, which is tagged HP/LV but it's still good and hasn't gotten to that bit yet. Definitely unique aspects to this one and worth having a look at it.

I can't remember what the old 'standard' for this was... I remember reading one ages ago that was one of the earliest HP time travel fics where Harry went back into his younger body, but fuck if I can remember the name of it. One of those trope setters, for all that it wasn't amazing it did lead the way. Maybe I'll remember it later.

5. PomMan

PomMan High Inquisitor

A Long Journey Home for me and it's not a particularly close call. Probably abandoned by now, but I love it.

6. cucio

cucio Groundskeeper

High Score:
    That's probably Nightmares of Futures Past (pretty much abandoned, unfortunately the author was hit with some serious health problems, but he still pops out the odd chappie every 3-4 years.)

7. Ched

That was it! Thanks.

Edit (from TVtropes): On May 13, 2019 the story disappeared from ffnet with the author clarifying on his website that this was due to an accusation of copyright infringement involving song lyrics (namely, "Weasley is our King", which Harry sings in Chapter 28), though it is still available at other locations and he is appealing to the site directors to undo their decision.

8. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    I'll second resurrect the living, im enjoying that and its still semi regularly updating.

Backwards with purpose i was a bit meh on but i think im the outlier since everyone ive ever met raves about it!

I've got this one in my favorite list on fanfiction but cant remember it too well: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6671596/1/A-Necessary-Gift-A-Harry-Potter-Story

9. Ched

Backwards With Purpose isn't amazing in my opinion but it's solid. There's a plot that doesn't just retell canon, the characters are mostly right, the writing itself is decent, and wonder of wonders it's complete.

I'd never rate it 5/5 because it's missing that something but it's ticked a lot of important boxes.

10. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I still reread or start to Backwards with Purpose 1. 2 I was always iffy about. Sounds like the perfect time killer on slow work days tbh.

11. cucio

cucio Groundskeeper

High Score:
    I concur, the plot was clever and original enough, and the climax powerful and well built. One good old staple of the genre, if a bit mushy. Part III, OTOH, is better left unread.

12. James

James Unspeakable

There was also one where Harry went back, created a company with Remus and few other people, finished Voldemort and left it to the young Harry. Can’t remember the name, but as far as fics go, it was fairly enjoyable. If someone remembers, please link it.

13. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Sarah1281's Oh God Not Again is probably my favorite time-travel fic, because it doesn't take itself seriously. There are some decent ones out there, but even the classics are guilty pleasures for me. That's mostly what I read anyway, so it's no big deal.

14. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

It was good in the beginning but went to shit somewhere in the middle.

15. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Literally right when they time travel forwards again. That story ruled when it was set in the 70s.

16. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Exactly, it went from 4/5 to 2/5 in the blink of an eye.

17. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Has to be Concentric Wavelengths by Voice of the Nephilim. Bit different from the usual time travel story in that it uses only canon style time travel and is set entirely within the Department of Mysteries. Still the most intense and atmospheric story in that genre I've read and the plot is very tight.

It was written for one of the quarterly challenges way back when, iirc.

18. Scarat

Scarat Fourth Year

High Score:
    Can I ask why you think it got so much worse? I hear this opinion often, and had it myself when reading it, but I don't usually see people explaining why.

19. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Mostly because I completely hate the children in the alternate future. The Potter kids are annoying as fuck.

20. zugrian

zugrian Fourth Year

I enjoy Delenda Est, even the 'sucky' second half in the future. Harry & Bellatrix are a lot of fun, together or apart, so the Potter girls being annoying doesn't sink it for me. They are a big step down from the older generation from the first half though.