1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The best time travel fanfics! (In my opinion) Let's discuss this!

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Snowy, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Passageways has one of the single worse beginnings that I've ever read. I tired to read it once five years ago and it still sticks out to me. Here's the review I wrote of it back then -

Summary of first chapter (starts years 4):
    Loses friendship with Ron AND Hermione
    Weasley's turn their back on him, disavowing him
    Outcast from the student-body
    No support from Dumbledore
    Flung of a staircase, nearly dying
    Beat up by Dursley's as well
    Sirius randomly dies during the summer
    Inherits stuff by going to Sirius will reading with the goblins
    Becomes the lord of House Black (and House Potter, of course)
    Learns lordly doctrine from the portrait of Walburga Black
    Learns Occlumency from the Portrait of Walburga Black
    Kreacher reforms
    Dobby comes to work with him as well
    Overuse of the word "nee"
    Gets banned from the Gryffindor tower at the start of the next year
    Delusional!Ron browbeating Hermione
    Harry uses a supercharged locking reflecting charm thing
    More delusional!ron, practically twirling his mustache.
    Delusional!Dumbledore
    Threatens to take Dumbledore before the Wizengamot
    Kept of of Gryffindor Tower by the portrait
    Hogwarts talks to Harry
    Deus ex Machina with the Room of Requirements and young!Bellatrix

So I look back on this now, as I did back then, and ask myself how anyone could actually read this story.

2. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Yeah, I never could finish that one either.

My guess is that those kinds of fics are emotionally satisfying to a lot of readers. The fact that it's bad writing doesn't matter, because it's beside the point. The goal was always to escape into a fantasy world where they're powerful. Time-travel stories are built around that emotional core: you get a chance to do things over, fix your mistakes, get revenge, and rescue/be rescued by your ideal partner.

It's kind of the same reason a lot of people casually play mmo games. DLP is like the elite group of raiders who argue over the quality of endgame content. To casual readers, we're the snobby assholes who are missing the whole point of why most people play.

3. zugrian

zugrian Fourth Year

I think this post nails it.

4. Barzûl

Barzûl Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Solid recs.
    I gotta ask about October:
    Is the rest of the fic legit just god-emperor Azrael ruling over Mars?
    The fic was okay until that point.

Delenda Est was my first true love in time travel stories. It's a shame it didn't really work out.

I'd like to recommend Tangled Strings and Technicalities.
    Three main characters go back to the 1970s. They all go back from different points in time.
    It's a bit mopey at times and does summer from a bad case of fluff.
    It's enjoyable and almost finished however.

5. Damy

Damy First Year

Depends slightly on where you left off, but in general the fic moves on. So while the character is still doing that, it hasn't been a focus for a long while.

Azrael stays there and takes less of a role for the rest of the story (though he may become relevant again in the next arc). In general he shows up once a few years to talk. In terms of the story, time moves on and the cast changes - Tom is still the main focus of course. The story also changes focus, and becomes quite different.

Tom goes to Hogwarts as a professor. He gets married, has a kid and so forth. Societal tensions continue to escalate, until we see things that happened in canon begin to happen. There is a slight difference though, in that many blame the Martians, which distracts many from the actual problem and causes issues between people who would otherwise probably be allies.

Comment on the story itself: We've had a longer break from Tom actively studying magic and I hope we get back to that -- would love to see him get to Voldemort levels of power. But that isn't really the authors style, or so it seems. I think its just that I rather like Tom and rather dislike a lot of characters.

6. Pathological Liar

Pathological Liar Second Year

I really liked that time travel fic where adult Harry travelled back in time to the night of third task and had, like 12 hours to destroy the Horcruxes. It was really really fun.

7. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The Unforgiving Minute, by Voice of the Nephilim

8. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Gryffindors Never Die (Almost Rec thread HERE) is one I've always had a soft spot for. I've not re-read it in a long time, so can't give you much on it, other than Harry and Ron come back in time, and act like assholes. By no means one of the best of the fandom, but I know I've read it a few times, so it's good for a laugh.

9. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The fact that it deals with a timeloop isn't made apparent until the end of the story. so spoilers I guess, but Gemino, by Portus, is a really good one-shot about Alastor Moody; part character study, part killing spree.

10. Crownworthy

Crownworthy Banned

It was great. Then the author got annoyingly preachy.

11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I am struggling through the massive awkward info-dump clusterfuck that is Chapter 2. I'm all for letting people like Albus know what's going on early but it's just like... so quickly accepted and then the solution yeah guess you're in school again cheers. Will keep going for a bit.

12. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

This is the best news I've heard all week. If you need help with beta'ing, hit me up. Anticlockwise is one of my favorite timetravel fics posted in the last few years.

As for best time travel fics..

Circular Reasoning
    A Long Journey Home (if we are talking about going back in time)
    The Wizard From Earth (similar to above)

13. Ave Imperium

Ave Imperium First Year

I recently tried to read this story and I ended up stopping at around chapter 10. The start is promising, the writing is adequate and the characters are, if nothing else, not obnoxious.

Then the story begins to lose its shine as the initial interest wears off and you realize it has no plot and only rambles around throwing wealth and cool glitz at the readers face to try and elicit some sort of thrill, which isn't really possible without some sort of tension in the story. I guess some people consider her reconciliation with friends as a '''plot''', or the build-up to the wedding, which seems to be the central theme towards the end.

The characters also end up being rather bland, and turn into the wallflowers when the writer decides that they want to focus on another aspect of the scene, instead of acting organically.

Definitely not the worst, but not particularly interesting either.

14. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Agree with this completely, although the writing is far more than 'adequate.' I can't believe I never encountered this story. It's some of the best prose in fanfiction. The problem is that the rest of the story doesn't live up to the promise of the first chapter. But holy shit, that long first chapter is impressive. It's a shame the rest of the story doesn't really have much of a connection to canon.

If you're looking for story that explores an immortal female Harry, a hypothetical Morgana/Merlin relationship, and other scenes throughout early wizarding history, this one is amazing (and incomplete). If you're looking for a connection to canon characters, don't bother with it. Either way, the writing and characterization are first-rate.

15. Dark Lord Prongsie

Dark Lord Prongsie First Year