1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Mandalorian [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's not dumb or cowardly or hypocritical to fire people for doing things which can hurt the company's bottom line.

This isn't some bold ideological stance. Disney sees which path is more profitable, and they take it. That's all.

Don't be so triggered.

2. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Cancelled. Pff.

#consequenceculture

3. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

So her opinions were backward and stupid. Why does that mean she should lose her job? What bearing does that have on her work at all? As I understand it, she expressed the opinions in question on her personal accounts on her personal time. She wasn't doing this on the clock, or in any capacity where she could be considered a representative of her employer. There's supposed to be a separation between your private life and your professional life, and I absolutely loathe the way cancel culture disregards that to destroy careers because they aren't mature enough to accept that people are going to disagree with them from time to time. Not to mention how pulling this kind of shit doesn't change anyone's mind, it just hardens the prejudices and opinions that cancel types are trying to fight.

4. FitzDizzyspells

FitzDizzyspells Seventh Year DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Because more fans have now formed a negative opinion of the actress, which affects some fans' opinion of the character, which affects some fans' opinion of the show. You want casting decisions to have a positive impact on the show, not a negative one.

It's like Otters said, it's a bottom line decision.

5. Othalan

But where's the damage to the bottom line? I certainly haven't seen or heard anything to suggest that Carrano's personal opinions have hurt the Mandalorian's ratings or Disney+ subscriptions. I've seen individuals calling for boycotts and such (and there's always some jackass calling for boycotts for any reason or none, so that's not really all that significant), but they don't seem to have gotten much traction there. So if there's not any noticeable damage currently being done, then she was fired on the hypothetical notion that someday people might stop giving their money to the company because they're too blindly fanatical to separate irl politics from unrelated fictional storytelling. Yeah, that argument still doesn't cut it for me.

Even if there was significant financial damage being done by outraged jackbooted ideological conformists, there should be steps between "everything is fine" and "you're fired." Or at least clearly write it into the employment contract that touching on controversial political issues on social media for the duration of your employment is a fireable offense, and then apply it to everyone who goes political on facebook and Twitter, not just the ones the loudest screamers disagree with.

In any case, if they're doing away with Gina Carrano, one thing Disney should do is give Justina Ireland the same treatment. She spouted a bunch of racist shit on Twitter and actually brought the company into it by outright telling fans not to buy her book if they were the wrong color/gender. That's far more egregious than what Carrano did, and it forms a much more direct attack on Lucasfilm's bottom line, but the company has shown nothing but full-throated support for Ireland's political trolling, since her outrageous opinions fall within the "acceptable" ideological range.

6. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I see this take a lot and while I don't necessarily disagree with it, the reality is that this is an unavoidable byproduct of optics, public morality, and market forces.

Guilt by association can murder your business. Every PR rep knows this. An employee commits a crime or misbehaves outside of work, and this creates an optics problem. Given that nobody has the 'right' to be employed at any given place of business, not firing a misbehaving employee says to public, albeit not directly, "our business is willing to hire / continue to employ this person and thus we passively condone such conduct."

Business takes a downturn as the public goes to your morally superior competitors, and your profit suffers.

Tldr: Welcome to employment in a Capitalist society. You are now the public's bitch.

/derail

Dye
  7. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

The company she works for has a set of corporate values as determined by its elected directors and senior leadership team. She decided to go against those in a way that threatened their ability to monetize a multi-billion dollar company asset and got fired.

If you don't like shareholder democracy, go live in North Korea.

8. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

The real question is how long will it take before technology advances enough that the actors no longer matter. I mean at some point you can just replace any dude with the digital face and body of the character, allowing you to switch actors at will without anyone noticing - and fine tune the performance in post using all kinds of AI trickery.

At that point the character on screen and the actor in real life are no longer as tightly connected, and the opinions of the actors mean less. On the other hand firing an actor for bad publicity is less of an issue for the production, as you can still have the same character even with different actor.

9. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Mm. Interesting.

I genuinely love how people eat this shit up.

Stupid boomer takes? That's untenable. We must separate ourselves from such abhorrent values.

Dealing with the CCP though? That's just business.

10. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Maybe we need some bipartisan legislation to strengthen worker rights a bit. Mandatory cool-down clauses to prevent immediate firing, that sort of thing.

Lol. There's no way that'll ever happen.

Still, the media coverage is strikingly unfair. I read what she posted and it's not anti semitic. It's just a stupid argument, making an analogy between Holocaust era intolerance to Jews and current intolerance of certain political opinions.

That's stupid. Offensive. Etc.

But it's not anti semitic.

She didn't criticize Jews.

11. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    The thing is though she was already on thin ice from dozens of other super bad takes that likely were not in line with the morality clause she assuredly signed. (My aunt used to work at the Parks and I've seen a copy of their actual morality clause document. It's like 30 pages long.)

The only reason she wasn't tossed months ago was because Favreau had asked to keep her on. I imagine after this though, Disney said enough is enough , told Favreau "tough shit move on."

Anyway who actually cares about Cara Dune leaving? She was an absolutely wasted character given only vague hints of backstory, and this just gives more room for the infinitely more talented Katee Sackhoff / Bo Katan to step in and become the big ladybamf in the room.

12. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

I'm sure she was. I'm more annoyed by the media coverage + blatant hypocrisy of Disney.

13. Othalan

See, that changes things a bit if she did actually have something written into her contract about it. I still don't like the trend, but if it was something she'd agreed to as a condition of her employment, then it becomes a simple issue of breach-of-contract on Carrano's part. If that's the case, Disney needs to publicly frame it that way, rather than encouraging the cancel vultures by making it sound like they have a valid point.

It still chafes that they openly support Justina Ireland's bullshit, but that's a topic for a different thread...

14. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

No, she only likened people that were critical of those with fucking idiot views like hers as one or two steps from rounding them up and gassing them. Totally just joking, I'm sure.

Yes, you can be pedantic as fuck and say "that's not what she was saying" and you'd be right. That's not literally what she was saying.

You'd still be willfully ignorant at best for ignoring the dog-whistle-turned-foghorn that her dumb ass has turned into.

@mods, any way we can get this moved/split off to something in the politics board if it's going to go any further? I feel like we're about to get warned otherwise.

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Or we just agree to end it here.

Eyoooo have some thread cleansers.

[​IMG]

Cleansing...

[​IMG]

More cleansing....

[​IMG]

Almost clean....

[​IMG]

Cleanliness achieved.

16. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Seems like most of the bad publicity Disney was worried about only happened when they highlighted it.

17. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I really havent seen much if any bad publicity from Disney’s move, other than from the usual suspects on twitter. She’s been controversial for awhile, she’s not integral to Mandalorian or Star War’s success, she’s not a very good actress lol.

People won’t remember this happened in a week or two. Disney made the right move to cut her when they did because she was only going to get more outspoken/say more dumb shit as time goes on. Better to do it now before you film S3 and then deal with her bs then.

Is there any other Mandalorian news we can talk about? How long do yall think before Baby Yoda makes an appearance in S3?

18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    We can talk about the fact that Disney+ hit 95 million subscribers last month, and is projected to reach 250 mill by 2024, effectively quadrupling Netflix's growth rate to 200 mill.

Never underestimate the power of Star Wars and cuteness.

19. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

She said what the jews went through during the holocaust was, "edited history." lol

And damn, 95m already.

20. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I give it until episode 4.