1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Expanse [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Innomine, Feb 3, 2017.

1. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    How yall liking Season 5? I gave up on the books before hitting Nemesis Games because DA and TF are pretty shit writers, so I'm looking forward to being surprised this season.

2. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Headmaster DLP Supporter

Bit of a slow start for me, I got annoyed at the family drama and the backstory exploration but after a couple of episodes it ramped up to the action and sci-fi sequences I really enjoy. Honestly, I just fast forwarded through a lot of the dialogue until it got back to characters I care about.

Inaros is a fantastic antagonist and I hate the shit out of him. Somewhat missing Ghost!Miller and all the prothean/builder stuff as it takes a backseat to the interplanetary political intrigue. Avasarola is still a treat to watch.

3. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

Honestly, as a book reader I've read the book as a whole once, everything but Naomi's chapters probably twice, but I've read the Amos parts of this book probably five times.

You do get something from everyone being on their own, but certain segments drag a bit.

4. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Headmaster DLP Supporter

All caught up now and gotta say I'm somewhat relieved that they only got renewed for one more season. It's hard to go back to caring about petty human drama and interplanetary squabbles in the face of a potentially existential threat. The major character deaths didn't really hit me, and I felt a little cheated at how ignoble it was to die to a random hard burn stroke.

Still adore Avasarola but the lines she has to work with can be pretty cringeworthy especially the literal kumbaya circle jerk about unity. The Belter faction dynamics are pretty fascinating but I want to know more about the crazy magic space goop and its creators and their killers. Seems like it's all been shelved as plot devices, and another 10 episodes won't have any time to spare from the focus on space war.

It was good while it lasted. Still gonna catch the last season next year but I probably wouldn't rewatch past 3 or 4.

5. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

IIRC, it was a consequence of real life controversy causing them to be written off the show, so they had to edit some already filmed scenes to try and make it work.

6. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Actor for Alex got MeToo'd, a huge number of allegations of sus stuff. They refilmed a couple conversations, CGI'd him out of the party scene, and remixed things for his death scene.

7. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

It's also worth noting that in the books that's more or less how Fred Johnson dies (stroke or hemmorage of some sorts after being wounded during a hard burn iirc). But agreed it didn't quite hit as hard as it could have - I was somewhat expecting that with the real world controversy, etc

8. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, can’t really help him having an underwhelming death when they have to write the scene without the actor available. The only way around that would be recasting him, which would be just as messy.

9. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is a bit of a necro, BUT one I think is valid because The Expanse's final episode streamed today. After 6 seasons of truly fantastic television.

I thought they handled bringing the show to a close very well. They decided not to address the books' final act, but gave the conclusion to the Inaros storyline its proper treatment. And they hinted enough at the Laconia arc that it could easily be revived for another season or a spin-off series.

10/10. Watch it.

10. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What were peoples thoughts on the final two seasons? Books 5 and 6 were my least favourite of the series, so I honestly just haven't bothered after feeling underwhelmed by season 4.

Do they manage to pull anything interesting out of human squabbles after the super fascinating alien shit?

11. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pretty much the whole Marco Inaros plot is a big dud, but I feel it maintains a good level of quality throughout all 6 seasons.

None of the protomolecule stuff is resolved as there is a major time jump between the current show ending and the real series ending. They'll have to recast everyone and build a whole new show if Amazon wants to delve into that (and the word on the street is that they do not).

12. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, that was what I was thinking. I really disliked the Marco Inaros stuff in the books, so I'll probs skip it here too.

I do think seasons 1-3 were some of the best sci fi TV ever though. Season 3 ends in a good place, and I think I'll just imagine that as being it. The imagination is better from there.

I do look forward to the final book of the series though. Edit: oh shit it's out. Time to read the final three books of the series!

13. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I really enjoyed the show, haven't read the books though, planning to start now. I agree the show ended in a great way and even if they never pick up Laconia plotline on screen looking forward to reading about it. The kids early acting was kinda rough ngl, only small flaw of the last season.