1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Movies in 2021

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Some call it Disney's Joker, but of all current Disney adaptations, it actually tries something different compared to the original.

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've been looking forward to this one since the set photo of Stone in costume was released last year.

Moderate hype.

3. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Can't wait until they justify skinning a punch of dalmatian puppies! Probably because they live in a society.

4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I don't know if Emma Stone can carry this one.

5. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I really didn't like Space Sweepers. Very strong start but it just throws it all away. Would have been much stronger as a series where you could actually get background and development on the characters

6. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:

Onward was only so-so, but Pixar returned to form with Soul. This looks like it'll be fun.

7. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Raya was pretty excellent. A very charming movie.

Only nitpicks are it's a little too heavy on the cheese for my tastes - I expect that coming from movies that, while target a whole range of ages, are primarily directed at children - and that the plot only works because it's set in a world with no real negative consequences for bad actions. Again, kids movie, I get it.

Sisu's (the dragon) voice actor was... also not great. Her voice really grated on me.

The two main characters, both Raya and Namaari are both excellent. I love both their performances, characters and design. The supporting cast are all great too, even the ninja toddler and her monkey entourage.

Do you need to spend the stupid money I did to watch it now? You can probably wait, but I don't regret it. My niece will doubtlessly watch it over and over many times over the next six months as my sister continud to mooch off my D+ sub, so it's money well spent for me.

I will pay anything to get my niece inspired by martial artists instead of fucking dancers. I had to put up with that shit for twenty years with my sister.

Never again.

[​IMG]

I might have a bit of a crush on Namaari...

Expect to see a lot of, ah, rique art with her and Raya in the coming months from your fav artists. I genuinely thought they were going there in this movie, but they bitched out.

8. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    They always do in the kid-focused content. But I'm confident Disney'll get there soon. We did get our first official Disney gay main char (despite it only being in a short).

9. Dresden11

Dresden11 Fifth Year

I also went out to an actual theater to see Raya today. First time I went since Onward last March. I enjoyed the film. The animation was excellent. And I thought it was a little more risky than usual for a Disney animation film. Maybe I am forgetting some of their 90s films though. Raya was 18 in this film, and the characters seemed a little more mature than usual for Disney.

I also agree on the character designs. Those were top notch. I think its worth the money; though I did only spend 8 dollars on it.

10. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    In this case, it would have actually added to the movie if they're romantically connected for plot reasons.

11. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

12. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
  13. Celestin

WB definitely wants it to happen sooner or later and with how the other series doesn't work, they probably want it sooner. The hard part is getting the actors and I expect that they will ask for Robert Downey Jr. in MCU kind of money for all three because the film won't work if any of them is not in it or recast.

14. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Yeah the article mentions Watson being difficult in casting negotiations, but honestly the one I feel like would be most difficult would be Radcliffe. Any movie with the name Harry Potter in the title kind of depends on him, but it seems like everything he’s done in the last decade has been trying to distance himself from the role. I guess if Disney can pay enough to get Harrison Ford back as Han Solo, anything is possible.

I’m also not exactly surprised, hence my willingness to share a random article from a website I’ve never heard of. With everything going on with Rowling these days, it’s no wonder WB wants to return to the days HP was criticized for being too woke rather than the opposite. I imagine J.K still profits off of it however, so it’s hard to see this not just ultimately pissing everyone off (see: the conversations around Hogwarts: Legacy).

Edit: Actually, wasn’t one of the big reasons Cursed Child was criticized for being too “woke” because of changing Hermione’s race? I guess if they’re trying to stick with Watson thats not going to be a thing, so now the only issue people will presumably have is the bad writing.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  15. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I don't know if Emma Watson is the right casting choice for Hermione Granger. She's not black, after all, and I don't know that Rowling or WB wants to whitewash such an important franchise as Harry Potter.

16. Celestin

I suppose she shouldn't just ask for RDJ kind of money, but for RDJ lessons in acting.

17. James

James Unspeakable

On the other hand, if they manage to get better actor… perhaps even looking closer to the book Harry, we'll have less "underfed Harry with the only case of scurvy in England in the last 200 years" fanfics?

18. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    [​IMG]

19. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  20. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They fucking nailed Godzilla vs Kong. Giant monsters fighting in awesome visuals. I don't care if pro reviewers think the plot was dumb. Yes, human characters barely have character, but if you're watching a kaiju movie for the humans, I don't know what to tell you. This is the 4th film in the new Hollywood Godzilla series and somehow the newest sequel is the best movie yet. Goddamn, this was so much fun.