1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DC Cinematic Universe(s) General Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Arthellion, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

I actually like Man of Steel, BvS Directors Cut and the new JL, and I think Snyder has a better understanding of D.C comics than most of the other hacks at WB - but the whole Lois/Bruce thing is one of those indicators that he just fundamentally misunderstands some parts of the universe (like Batman’s no killing/guns rule for another example, thankfully not so glaring when going up against Parademons).

I mean for fucks sake Bruce was partially responsible for the series of events that got Superman killed in BvS in the first place. Sleeping with his almost-fiancé right after that would be pretty scummy in my eyes, not to mention how it changes Lois’ character.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  2. Mugglewizard

Mugglewizard Seventh Year

I tend to agree to this. I was looking forward to the Snyder cut but I really felt it dragging. The whole concept of Darkseid being defeated thousands of years ago did not go well for me. Why wait all this while to attack Earth again? Would Darkseid not be keeping an eye on the world that defeated him to look for an opportunity to destroy it or conquer it earlier?

JL 17 was bad but I think maybe that was just a confusion of already having shot part of the movie and they could not just get Joss to start from scratch. Maybe then it would have been different.

The thing I also immediately compared was the villains. I think MCU villains play as much of a role as the heroes in making the movies interesting. Like most of the MCU villains had their own justifications for doing what they are doing and feel they are even on the right side. Like Thanos but Steppenwolf just comes in and says prepare for darkness.

3. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

I’ll start by saying I think these are definitely valid criticisms because the movie doesn’t do a great job of explaining some parts, but there are answers to these questions. The fight at the beginning actually depicted Uxas, basically proto-Darkseid before he got the Omegaforce which powered him up and lets him shoot those sick twisty eye lasers. I definitely wish the movie made this clear because it does undercut the threat he poses and how much stronger he’s gotten in the thousands of years since then.

The reason he wasn’t keeping an eye on/attacking the planet earlier is explained in the movie though, in their hurried retreat from the first invasion they left the Motherboxes they use to travel between worlds behind and thus they couldn’t find Earth again. That is until Superman’s death screams woke up the Amazonian Motherbox that called to Apokolips. They had no idea it was even the same planet until Steppenwolf sensed the Anti-Life they’d thought long lost. At the end when Darkseid says they’ll keep invading, he says they have to use “the old ways” as the Motherboxes are still lost (and no longer calling to them).

While I won’t argue that Steppenwolf is as good an antagonist as Thanos, I definitely think this version was a vast improvement on the 2017 version and measures up favourably with the average MCU villain (there’s been more in the Aldrich Killian/Malekith/Yellowjacket tier than Baron Zemo/Thanos tier if that makes sense). The conversation with DeSaad about having to kill another 500,000 worlds or however many it was to come home was pretty good imo.

4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Mugglewizard

It was made pretty clear in the Snyder Cut that Darkseid somehow lost track of the world that repelled him. When Steppenwolf realizes Earth is the one, it's a big revelation. Darkseid wasn't sitting around for thousands of years, he didn't know which planet it was.

Now, how the fuck he lost track of it is not explained (or not very well) and that's stupid--presumably his whole fucking fleet would have some way to save coordinates, but I didn't write the script.

5. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

As I said in the post above, it’s because they left the Motherboxes behind (pretty sure Gal Gadot’s monotone exposition montage goes over that). Apokolips can only reach Earth’s universe via the Boomtube they create. The movie doesn’t spell it out exactly (I recall it does say Darkseid is in another universe at some point though) but they’re in another dimension called the Fourth World, which was separated from the rest of the universe.

6. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

Is there a reason they didn't immediately recognise Earth as the same planet from their previous assault? Doesn't the presence of the Motherboxes prove that?

7. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

I’m not entirely certain on the answer to that one, because the DCEU has strayed from the comics when it comes to the Motherboxes. Typically Apokolips uses Fatherboxes while their opponents in New Genesis use the Motherboxes, and they’re not particularly rare unlike both cuts of Justice League seem to make out.

It’s possible there are other Motherboxes out there (and Steppenwolf/others have been using them to invade other worlds so it wouldn’t be unheard of for them to be lost on some planets) but they aren’t able to use them to get to Earth because they haven’t been there yet. Not sure what process they’d have used to find Earth in the first place in that case and why it wouldn’t be repeatable. The more I think about it, the more confusing I’ll admit it is.

Edit: I think the term Fatherbox is a newer addition to the comics, so maybe the New Gods just all use the same term in the DCEU. Steppenwolf might have figured the Motherboxes were left behind by New Genesis, although that’s not exactly a good explanation considering their existence hasn’t even been introduced yet.

8. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This looks like so much fun

And I hated the look of the first one.

9. ScottPress

High Score:
    I loved GOTG1. Didn't enjoy GOTG2. So, on James Gunn directed comic book movies it's 50/50 for me so far. Also DC movies suck more often than not. Now, maybe this will be the 2nd good one in DCEU (after Aquaman) but I won't hold my breath.

It will apparently be available to stream on HBO, so at least that's good.

10. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Look a lot better than the first one, but that's not a high bar. Hopefully with Gunn directing it won't take itself too seriously. Apart from a stupid as shit plot, that was the main major failing of Suicide Squad 1.

11. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Agreed with Khan on it looking a lot better than the first one, but that being a low bar to clear (the original is probably one of the worst films I've ever sat through). Tentatively intrigued, but we'll see how it goes.

12. Arthellion

High Score:
    Also, Joel Kinnaman is easily one of my favorite actors after seeing him in Altered Carbon, so I'm hopeful.

13. Arthellion

High Score:
    Also...Sylvester Stallone is the voice of the King Shark.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  14. ScottPress

High Score:
    Ngl, I cracked up when Sharkboy just deadpanned "HaNd" in the trailer. Didn't see Lavagirl anywhere tho, maybe they're saving her reveal for the movie.

15. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Finished the Snyder's Cut. It's good, if a little long.

I avoided the original after reading its reviews and probably won't check it even now, but because it's not usual to have one film done by two filmmakers I wanted to find out how their styles are presented in each version. Found this explaining it pretty well.

16. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It’s also interesting to see the difference between Snyder having basically full creative control versus the theatrical cut being studio meddled into oblivion. Trying to cram the film into a studio-mandated two hour runtime was never going to end well.

17. James

James Unspeakable

i’ll never understand studio executives. They can stretch a fucking twilight into two movies, but want to setup 74 comic storylines in one movie? Like, why?

18. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Studio executives (or really all corporate executives) only care about making money. It doesn’t matter if the product is good or bad, it just needs to maximize profits.

They made so many Twilight movies because the films were guaranteed to be profitable thanks to the books having a large and devoted fanbase.

They tried to rush a Justice League movie because they wanted to get a piece of the MCU’s massive financial success, and they wanted it Right Now instead of taking time building up to it. Likewise Justice League’s theatrical cut was a mess because they wanted a two hour long movie to fit in more showings for big opening weekend numbers.

There’s no way those changes could make the movie actually fail, it’s a cinematic universe superhero crossover, and those always work.

Really, the key to understanding how movie executives think is to view the actual quality of the individual film as a total non-issue. It’s all about what genre is hot, what stars and directors are bankable, and other tricks to guarantee and/or maximize profits. The movie being good only matters if that helps it make more money.

19. James

James Unspeakable

I understand all of that, the goal of making money. What I’m trying to say, I don’t understand how you look at MCU, going ~strong for 18 movies and making billions of dollars and then skip all the setup (and billions of dollars) and just fuck up.

Like, “common sense” or whatever tells you that if you have millions of fans, sudden gap in the market and money to spend on stars, milk it for what it’s worth. Not cram everything in one movie you then spend 7 years on (or whatever is the timeline from first storyboard window to release of snyder cut).

20. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Because the executives and investors don’t want a long term plan to deliver profits eventually, they want those profits Right Now. Especially since several of Warner’s other big money-making film franchises (Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings) aren’t making as many buckets of cash as they used to.

It’s also worth mentioning that one of the other big differences between the MCU and DCEU is leadership. It’s hard for the DCEU to have a strong consistent vision when it’s had no consistent leader providing that vision. That’s also why the DCEU is constantly doing poorly considered course corrections.