1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel Cinematic Universe General Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Andrela, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

That's true. Though there are plans to include Charlie Cox's Daredevil in a different way because the actor resonated with the audience strongly enough that Disney wants him around.

2. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

Even if it's non-canon I'd still recommend watching Daredevil over pretty much anything else in the MCU.

3. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Daredevil was great...even if the redhead is annoying as mess.

The spinoffs ranged from good (Jessica Jones S1) to terrible (Iron Fist).

4. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

I wasn't aware it was possible to disrespect AOS any more than they already had been but here we are.

5. Arthellion

High Score:

New Loki Trailer.

It starts June 11th :)

6. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Finally, an offshoot show with a trailer that leaves me actually interested to watch the show.

On thinking about it, I think one of the reasons I've not been overly enthused about Wandavision or FWS is that I never really developed any interest in those characters during the films. They were given limited screen time, and never particularly developed in a way that made them interesting. Loki is different in that regard, he's a character I'm already interested in, which automatically makes me a lot more interested in his show. That said...I also think the basic premise of Loki sounds a damn sight more interesting than the basic premises of Wandavision or FWS were.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  7. Arthellion

High Score:
    I think Wandavision/FWS are more created to be origin stories/character focused pieces where we see Wanda become the Scarlet Witch and we'll see Sam become Captain America.

In contrast, I think Loki will be much more relevant to the actual universe/multiverse at play in the MCU.

8. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I really like what they're doing with Loki, but I suspect the TVA will break MCU for fans that want it to have somehow consistent rules. You either have multiverse or you worry about breaking timelines and having Variant Lokis.

9. Andrela

Jon Bernthal as Punisher is also my casting of choice. The guy was born for the role.

10. Arthellion

High Score:
    I think he was great in the role, but the show itself was a bit meh.

11. Andrela

Yeah, I liked him more in Daredevil S2. The rooftop scene debate with Matt is among my favorites.

12. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Definitely excited about Loki. It seems a lot more interesting than FWS, and is giving me Doctor Who vibes.

13. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

That looks legit amazing.

14. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

Very much agree. FWS seems like they saw people liked the "move your seat--no"/"couldn't you have done that earlier--I hate you" vibes and tried to turn it into a full on buddy cop series, without much more to go off.

Loki is definitely a star villain and there's so much to do with him, this seems legitimately interesting.

Also, another reason I don't get FWS:

I don't really get Falcon's appeal over Warmachine. From a MCU fan without comic background, he's just a really broke-ass war machine. Besides some talk about fixing redwing in the first episode, it doesn't seem like Sam is super tech-savvy. He got his wings from the military, Rhodes got his from Tony. But Rhodes has real fire power, bullet proofing, and presumably the same ability to break the sound barrier a-la IM1. Like I could get if Sam is more agile or something, but there's no offensive power and he's just not as cool.

Story wise, they're kind of both generic black supporting sidekicks, in terms of what the MCU has given them in terms of backstory and screen time. FWS brings Sam to life more, but like really who would pick Sam as their wingman over Rhodes? This is basically "why are hawkeye/black widow on the same screen as literal gods" all over again, except now these characters have so little differentiating them. WM is just Falcon but better.

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The standard answer to this is "the Big Guns have their own lives and their own conflicts, and can't be everywhere at once." Smaller conflicts get smaller heroes. It might not be satisfying, but you can handwave a lot with it.

Secondly, I don't know that a War Machine show starring Don Cheadle would have the same draw that a show with Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan have. Don't underestimate male sex appeal as a viewership driver.

16. Arthellion

High Score:
    I mean we’re getting both. With cheadle in Armor Wars.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  17. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

Sure, that's the best argument for it. I just felt this way since they first intro'd his character in cap2. Tons of interesting marvel characters that have better/more interesting skillsets compared to adding in broke-war-machine.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  18. Padishah Emperor

Padishah Emperor First Year

Been quite some time since I've watched Civil War, but what exactly is the time gap between Age of Ultron and Civil War? Because I didn't get the impression it was too long at all. Yet in that time period (given what we've learnt about Zemo in FWS) Helmut Zemo seems to go from just an ordinary member of the Sokovian Armed Forces (albeit a rich one), to someone who has significant connections with the criminal underworld.

19. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Zemo presumably had this backstory at the time of Civil War as well, it just didn't play a role in the movie.

20. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pretty sure Russo has said its supposed to be about a year between those 2 films.