1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fanfiction Confessions

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wait, but how would you know you'd even want to read the fic if it doesn't say Harry/Daphne the pairing in the title?

2. Corvus Black

Corvus Black Professor

Giving away a pairing in the summary is annoying for a reader who likes to be surprised, but I do understand why an author would do that.

3. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Its interesting that you have this position, but so many folk would complain bitterly about having (x) pairing sprung on them without warning. I don't disagree your statement is how things SHOULD work, but I think a lot of authors advertise the pairing even if its a minor, background thing that happens between chapters 40 and 45, and is of no other relevance because they know they'll get it in the neck from disgruntled readers if those readers have some particular hatred of the specific pairing in question..

4. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

To be fair, ffdotnet displays the pairing under the summary, so if the pairing is also in the summary, then it is a good indication that a lot of focus will be on the pairing.

5. Donimo

Donimo Auror

I like when the pairing is listed. It helps me know what not to read.

6. Dark Lord Prongsie

Dark Lord Prongsie First Year

I have never read Ectomancer past the first chapter.

7. Dark Lord Prongsie

Dark Lord Prongsie First Year

I don't like stories with Ginny bashing

8. Corvus Black

Corvus Black Professor

Her "reputation" is greatly exaggerated, yes.

9. ExperiencedGamer

ExperiencedGamer Fourth Year

Well, DLP has moved on from that pitfall. :D

10. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't read tags on ao3, I consider them spoilers. I've been burned a couple of times because of that, ex. surprise slash an etc.

11. Corvus Black

Corvus Black Professor

It's kind of hard to miss them. I try not to read them but they are in your face when you are looking for fics.

12. Eirene

Eirene Squib

I'm all for the freedom of writing whatever. But sometimes when I see incredibly disturbing shit I wish Ao3 was like ffnet.

13. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    - One of my first fanfics was Albus Potter and the Global Revelation and its six sequels. I don't know if I'd still like the series now, but remember loving it. I can't stand next-gen stories, and the closest I got since was Backwards with Purpose.

- I wish there were more (fem!)Harry x Fleur.

- I used to hate that Fleur was called Fleur. Why not an actual French name? Over the last few years, I've gotten used to it, and have since found out that Fleur is a common Dutch/Belgian name.

Pls give me recs.

I think around the time you were publishing Blood of the Tide, I found Death of Today on your profile, which is Tom x Izar (...) and read all the way up to the second task, with the dueling platforms. I remember cool magic and death eater stuff, and so much kissing, jesus. If you know of anything better than that off the top of your head, I'll happily read.

I mostly read Gen fic, and actively avoid stories featuring Snape in any kind of romantic context, but I want to believe you. I also read The Never-ending Road and loved it.

What are your favourite fem!Harry/Snape stories?

14. HeirGaunt

HeirGaunt First Year

I'm thinking of hiding tags tbh on ao3 because 90% of them are just annoying, add nothing useful, and are spoilers. That said, I've never taken the plunge because I really am not a fan of surprise slash.

15. zugrian

zugrian Fourth Year

I'll take spoilers over reading surprise slash. Or some of the gross fetishy crap that pervades ao3.

16. HeirGaunt

HeirGaunt First Year

I'm not too worried about "Gross fetishy crap" because 90% of those fics are revealed in the first couple of paragraphs either by bad spelling & grammar or getting straight to the wierd parts.

17. ExperiencedGamer

ExperiencedGamer Fourth Year

Pretty sure they can be filtered out anyway.

18. zugrian

zugrian Fourth Year

Things aren't always labeled properly for the filter. And regardless, I'm not the type of person that minds spoilers in general.

19. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't actually block out all tags completely (didn't know that was an option in settings?) so I do generally see the first 1-3 tags even when my eyes are skimming over them, usually just that and filters are enough to tell its not fetish stuff but sometimes it's not. AO3 is kind of annoying but at least they allowed some blocking features after that scandal with the guy who'd use thousands of tags, I'm going to follow this and block a few freaky authors in the fandoms I follow.

20. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

I want to outright say that there's a difference between quality of writing and a "good" story. But if you liked the Never ending road, check out her other story "Come once again and love me" or whatever it is, and also "Certain dark things". The latter in particular manages to impress.