1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot The Last Enemy by Rayndeon - T

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by ScottPress, Oct 16, 2015.

1. nahdawg

nahdawg First Year

It would be awesome if someone wrote a similar story using the Invisibility Cloak as the catalyst for Harry's shift to Dark Magic. Then we'd have all three hallows covered with three stories, this story with the stone, Perspicacity's Whispers with the Wand, and then a new story for the Cloak

2. ProvisionalID

ProvisionalID Squib

This was a very good story. It's unfortunate that it didn't develop into a multi-chapter story, but ultimately is very well written. Not to call Harry studies a metaphor for addiction but it does make sense as to how his desire to conquer death can develop in such a way. I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel.

3. m4n1

m4n1 Squib

High Score:
    I personally am really happy that its just a one-shot. Any continuation of this, imo, would probably ruin Harry's steady progression into Dark!Harry. I love the fact that we are given more a tale of his actions than his justifications. I do admit that it was a bit cliche, but it worked well. The only thing I dont like is that no one besides Dumbledore told him to abandon the stone in favor of living well. I'd think that his family would say something, especially as he talked to them everyday.

4. marlow

marlow Squib

High Score:
    This was a very enjoyable one-shot.

I think the obsession with Death is one of the more believable approaches to creating a dark Harry. The descent into madness is readily apparent as his moral compass slowly comes unbound. And yet Harry does in a way stay true to himself - he doesn't attempt to defeat Death out of a fear of it like Tom, but out of a desire to reconnect with those that have been lost, a corruption of a noble goal.

Obviously there are a few problems with having this as a short oneshot, primarily for me the lack of interaction between Harry and his friends, and specifically their failure to notice or show concern over his worrying behaviour. In this case however I think the short length and fast pacing work well to focus the story solely on Harry's obsession with defeating Death.

5. TallDarkStranger

TallDarkStranger Fourth Year

High Score:
    I liked this. Its the kind of stub that I'd love to start off its own mini-story, but 'oh well', maybe it's that way because it's left undone.

His obsession with the Hallows as a portal to death is not new, but the descent into slow madness is well done.

6. Verfassergeist

Verfassergeist Squib

High Score:
    This was amazing. I loved the descent and how the Stone stopped responding to family and friends. 5/5

7. TheGreyLord

TheGreyLord Squib

High Score:
    5/5

I always believed that Harry should turn out like Tom in the end, when Dumbledore is no longer there to guide him away from the path of the dark by stuttering nonsense about love. Waiting for a sequel. Excellent writing!

8. TallDarkStranger

TallDarkStranger Fourth Year

High Score:
    I fear a sequel may be too much to hope for

9. ratpoisoon

ratpoisoon Muggle

9.5/10 Cause its a oneshot.

10. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Don't necro/bump threads this old unless you have something substantial to say. Your post is not substantial.

You've been warned. Cheers and welcome to DLP.