1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Wizard of Gotham by Skysaber - T - Batman

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by knothead, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Honestly, I was so annoyed about how good this story sounded in the beginning, just for it to bomb in the end, that I wasn't thinking straight.:eek: Sorry about that comment, it was wrong, but that last section of the story was bloody confusing and I read some of the passage wrong. Because of that, I'll give the story a 2.75/5. I just hope it gets better.

2. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

Chapter 5 is posted for people who are interested.

3. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

Actualy you are correct. That is just what makes Snape so interesting. Please note that cannon provides no evidence that he enjoys murder though.

Snape isn't a nice character, but he is a very interesting one. This auther has turned him into a hot-head child incapable of rational thought. Snape has either suceeded in manipulating Dumbledore or Voldemort for decades. He isn't an idiot.

4. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

No, Snape's not an idiot, but I don't think I've seen an OhmyGod!TheykilledKenny!Snape character. While mildly amusing at the moment, I believe that Kenny!Snape would be best in small doses.

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  5. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

Re: They killed Kenny:Snape, Once every three chapters and try to be funny.

6. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

I wouldn't mind it really if (s)he just killed Snape, or just did write much on him. That would be fine. The rampant bashing is just annoying though. It is childish and really just poor writing.

7. Calen

Calen Fourth Year

Not bad... but having the physco villans acting all nice?! Most of them are insane! Okay some are pretty much genius when it comes to certain things, but someone like the Joker wouldn't hesitate to kill dozens of kids like Harry if he felt like it. They're all evil villans, I can understand him spending time with Catwoman and Poison Ivy, since the latter will eventually tone down the crimes to be with Batman.

3/5

8. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

Well as a Skysaber fan I resent the allegations of "shittydom" because I've generally found what he writes to be amusing and entertaining...

But having said that, I'd also like to inform you that this is unfortunately not Jared Ornstead's first attempt at a Harry Potter fanfic, he had one earlier entitled Moon Over Wands* featuring his Skysaber\Sailor Moon continuity some years ago before he had his infamous over-reaction and quit fandom.

IIRC it was massive criticsm of this fic by the Delphi Fanfic Forums that resulted in his leaving, due to allegations of plagarism as well as people he percieved as friends deciding to start in on him. Of course the whole bit with "I'm gonna have my brother-in-law the lawyer sue you" he pulled at that point didn't help his case much. He'd have been better off ignoring them and continuing the fic, IMHO.

Then again I am a fan, so I'm obviously inclined to be in favor of more Skysaber than anything else. And even if I do admit he does have some flaws in his writing, I have always been able to gloss over those in favor of the more entertaining bits he has always managed to come up with. Page by page I have gotten more entertainment value out of his fics than annoyances, so in my mind at least the equation balances well in his favor.

--bornagainpenguin

*Yes I still have a copy of this fic which I have cherished for quite some time despite some of its flaws, not the least of which is some rather dated characterization of many lead characters.

9. DvorakQ

DvorakQ Seventh Year DLP Supporter

This fic is original and fun to read. The writing itself is not the most sophisticated, but the author is clearly having a blast writing and it shows. I felt compelled to review this, because chapter 6 just got released and is extremely amusing.

10. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

I suppose since I'm the person who started this thread I should review this fanfic now that it's reached a reasonable number of chapters. I also wanted to see what the results of Lily/Ivy would be. I like and am further intrigued.

The premise is one of the more original I've seen, and Skysaber has turned things on their collective heads what with the good villains and the evil superheroes. Thumbs up for an entertaining, original premise. I find myself rooting for the bad guys and gals.

The chapters are perhaps a little too short for my taste, but since we're talking about a crossover with comics, it's not as if a lot of words are actually needed-- Joe Lansdale's Batman novels notwithstanding. It may be personal preference on my part though.

They killed Kenny!Snape: I'm already on record here stating that I don't think I've seen this type of characterization of Snape before. It's mildly amusing. I hope Skysaber doesn't overdo Snape's misadventures with plants.

Grammar. Several nitpicks, but the author is having fun with the story. I like the direction where it's going.

So, for an original fanfic concept, lots of humor, turning the DC comics universe upside down, introducing a young Lily Potter (who I suspect will use her experience with the Marauders) as a new personality, and allowing for grammar errors, I'll tentatively award "Wizard of Gotham" a grade of 4.5.

11. PsyckoSama

PsyckoSama Groundskeeper

Dear god, the lastest chapter with batman "seeing through" Ivy's "cover" is funny as hell!

12. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Absolutely! You've gotta hand it to Batman; he hunts down all of that information and deciphers it to come up with the most logical conclusion... and it's total bullshit. :p
    JKR's penchant for using botanical names everywhere does make Harry's past seem like a phony setup by Poison Ivy. The lack of muggle records for James, due to him being a pureblood wizard, just reinforces this conclusion. Hilarious!

13. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

I personally just love the fact that Canon, without any twisting, can be interpreted completely differently, and completely wrongly. :D

14. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I am going to have to agree that I hope he doesn't go to Hogwarts at all, I'd like to see him go somewhere else and away from Dumbledore.

Have to agree Chapter 6 was funny as shit.

Richard.

15. PsyckoSama

PsyckoSama Groundskeeper

Chapter 7 is up. Not as strong as 7 and what he did to Snape was rather pointless...

16. TripticWriter

TripticWriter Groundskeeper

Nothing special in this chapter but it's stil enjoyable.

I just love this story but the author profile is fucking scary!

17. PsyckoSama

PsyckoSama Groundskeeper

Skysaber's a loon and has been so for a very very very long time...

18. M. Shadow

M. Shadow Guest

Kenny!Snape, as you term him, now seems to be completely (and permanently) dead. That should cheer several of you up.

For myself, I've been most amused with Batman's "logic". Very detailed, very step by step, and so very, very, wrong.

Overall, I think the story is light and funny, it's strengths lying in entertainment rather than in drama or epic adventure. But since the author himself terms it a "humor" fic, that's not in the least surprising.

Rating: 3.8/5 - Worth the read.

19. Ascania

Ascania Second Year

Cheered to early it seems.

The 8th chapter's up. It has got a few good moments but generally it seems too bland and the writing a bit too stilted. Its more of a setup for things to come than a worthy chapter in its own right.

20. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Yes and I'm guessing the plant felt hungry again so soon because Snape disapparated. We haven't seen the last of him, I'm sure.

So Harry is genetically related to Bruce? Ah, the miracles of modern science... not to mention the ability of wizards to not leave a paper trail. Oops.