1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New World

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Paradise, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

Sooooo, amazons big MMO is gonna drop tomorrow, and I'm curious who here is planning on playing, and on what servers?

2. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Beta Reviews look good.

im gonna wait until after mid term this week but might grab it. Y’all let me know if it’s worth it. The theme looks fun

3. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Definitely interested, but I'd heard things about it burning out GPUs, and my model is specifically called out, so I might leave it for a bit.

4. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

Game dropped at 8am for NA east and I played the shit out of it. Its pretty solid, and enjoyable. Kinda feels like what we all expected 20 years of development would happen to WoW.

Like its a modern MMO, not a whole lot of mechanic blot, combat is lackluster but flashy. I'm enjoying it.

5. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I'm in, but I don't know another soul playing it - can't talk any of my PoE group into it at all, so I don't know what server I'll land on. Something low pop with a cool-sounding name.

6. Friss

Friss Squib

Only graphics cards with defective solder from a small batch were affected. If you are unfortunate enough to have one of those, it would actually be better to have it burn out now so you can RMA it rather than have it lurk as an unseen time bomb and possibly fail after its warranty expires. It was never the game's fault people's cards died. It just happened to be a sufficiently stressful load to bring out the defect.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/363...amazons-mmo-bricked-24-geforce-rtx-3090s.html

7. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

I waited in the queue for ~2h and then quit. I'll try again later today.

8. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Didn't get on until about 6h after release, picked the lowest-pop server (an Indian-sounding name I don't remember ATM), had a 60-person queue, played for a half hour, had to go. Got on later, 6-person queue, got to 14 and mostly levelled gathering skills. Smooth running, no hiccups, pretty crowded areas though. Wish they'd have got rid of quests where you have to skin kills, as literally anyone can skin something the moment it dies - there's no lock-out period at all still, despite TONS of people complaining about this in the beta phases. Plus, those quests screw groups, as only the person doing the skinning gets the credit for it. Minor annoyance in an otherwise good game.

9. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

syao, sree, and I are on tuonela (US West), with the syndicate, if someone wants to join a server+faction with other dlpers on it

10. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

Yeah, but that was in beta and evga specifically. Now there's Gigabyte cards going up in smoke in live...

I would definitely take some precautions if I was playing (which I won't until Amazon themselves release at least something to address this)...

Undervolt/UnderPower the card by at least 10-15%, cap the FPS to something reasonable, set the game settings to high if not medium...

while this may seem excessive... this is really not the time to risk a GPU lol.

11. Friss

Friss Squib

Really? I haven't heard about that at all. I'll stand by the argument that, by definition, if any software can destroy hardware, the hardware is defective, but that's definitely worrying. EVGA is usually very good with RMAs, so if I had one of those cards, I would want to stress test it as much as possible to be sure it's not part of the defective batch, but Gigabyte might not be so reliable. I don't know if I'd want to risk a Gigabyte GPU.

Definitely not a great look for Gigabyte after the PSU fiasco.

Edit: After reading some user reports, there's definitely something odd about that game lol. Even if cards technically should be able to handle any load, there's definitely something wrong with power virus level power draw and heat from a game.

12. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

Eh, Software has been able to destroy hardware for a long time now. Furmark has long been called a Power virus like you said. Crysis used to burn GPUs back in the day. While most of it was people using a lower SMPS than their GPU requirement, It was still burning GPUs. Hardware limits like throttling work 98% of the time, but there have always been exceptions.

Amusingly enough crysis ran on Lumberyard back in the day and the way excessive frames were layered was blamed for the ridiculous requirements and GPU burning. From what I've read, New World seems to run into similar issues (I could be wrong, this is just gossip at this point). Even when the FPS is capped, it seems to initially spike by about 30-40% and then settle down.

All this is speculation though. Until Amazon gives out something solid, we can't be sure of anything.

13. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

So.

I had 2 wars to fight tonight at 9pm as me and my friends company managed to snag 2 territories. One against covenant and one against marauders. AT THE SAME TIME.

9pm is also when it was supposed to go down for maintenance.

It did in fact not go down for maintenance. As I write this the server is still up.

Somehow I managed to defend Morningdale with 5 squads of randoms 30-50 lvls.

I kept telling them we just had to hold for a few more minutes until maintenance dropped.

It. Did. Not. Drop.

But somehow neither did our defense. We managed to pull something unfathomable off and held off the entire half hour.

I'm exhausted.

And irritated. Why say maintenance at 9 when 2 hours later it still hasn't happened... fucking amazon man.

14. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Aside from having played the free beta for a few hours, I don't know much about this game. Even so, it amuses me that a friend of mine, due to a concerted effort from logging in at release, has managed to establish himself as the only endgame jewelcrafter on his server. Buying up all of the jewelcrafting materials that go on the market, to prevent others from getting them, and selling his completed products.

I don't know what it means in a relative scale for income, but I know, anecdotally, that he earned about 50,000 coin on October 10th alone. Then again, anytime I see him online on Discord, he has New World launched, so there is that. He's gone in deep. Like a streamer that doesn't actually stream.