1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP On the Way to Greatness - By Mira Mirth - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by ChuckDaTruck, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Azreal

Azreal Squib

High Score:
    There are some great moments in the fic, and it pains me to realize it's probably abandoned. The writing starts off okay and becomes great.

One of the unique things about it is it's underplayed but truly sympathetic view of Dark!Harry as a victim. Never overdone or overtly played for pity, but heart tugging all the same. The author does a fantastic job of seeing things from his protagonist's point of view, not the view of the series-- he's civil to Fudge's successor, even finds him occasionally relatable, and even fleetingly feels the "genuine desire" to have Slughorn as his mentor.

4.5/5. It could have been a five if it were finished! By far one of the most well-spaced out and believable AUs I've read.

2. PWIZDUO

PWIZDUO Fourth Year

I don't think it's abandoned, or at least I hope not. It's not the longest we've gone without updates.

3. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    its not abandoned. she updated her profile in august specifically saying it wasnt despite the long wait.

Mind it updates like a chapter every few years, but yeah.

4. Ravenlark

Ravenlark Squib

Probably one of the best and most realistic Harry in Slytherin stories I've seen. The only criticism I have is that it drags a bit on occasion, but it's well written and plotted out. The relationship he has with Millicent and Blaise is a unusual and not one that is typically portrayed. Usually, authors make him bffs with Draco and in awe of Snape.

5. Rilianus

Rilianus Squib

The best slytherin Harry in the whole fandom. I really like the format too - we've got more depth the further we go with the story.
    Overall it nicely satisfies the question of 'What could've happened if Sorting Hat made a different choice?' and making a case that it wouldn't be bad, maybe even better than otherwise, certainly more satisfying

5/5

6. Plurple

Plurple Squib

High Score:
    This is likely the best slytherin Harry I've read thus far. The portrayal is realistic and characters are well fleshed out and unlike most fics, aren't over the top. Harry himself is deserving of sympathy, but not pity which is refreshing in and of itself. The plot keeps moving and doesn't drag along and the development of the characters and their interactions keep the story engaging.

4/5 on the basis that it isn't finished and it's hard to rate a story that isn't finished since endings can make or break a story.

7. junkseer2

junkseer2 First Year

High Score:
    I think i hate every single review post for the last few years in this thread for making me think that this story has updated

8. Miner

Miner Order Member

Pot--->Kettle

Anyways, I just reread through this again and I realized I never left a review or a vote for it. So...

There's definitely parts of it that I could nitpick at, including the whole wresting control of Fiendfyre away from its caster thing that (I think) was what was going on with the Longbottom manor battle.

They're mostly trivial stuff though, lost in the brilliance that is the writing. I don't think I've been able to really relate to a character that is as unrelatable as Slytherin!Harry is. And, contrary to some people before, I actually enjoyed Harry's younger years a lot too. While the writing did seem, at times condensed and over-compressed, the change that we see in Harry, gradually, as he turns off the track Dumbledore laid out to him, is what really makes this fic amazing in my opinion.

Because writing a Harry that's characterized as a darker character than in canon isn't as difficult if the story begins when Harry's already crossed over that invisible line of light and dark. It's the process of getting there that's difficult to really create, and that's what I admire the most about this story.

Of course, the junior Death Eater games were highlights of the story as well.

9. endsley_17

endsley_17 Squib

High Score:
    I really wish this fic wasn't abandoned. I know the author says they will never abandon it but it's been 2 and 1/2 years since an update. This is the best Slytherin Harry I’ve read. The way the author has explored the dark arts… It’s the most convincing exploration of them. (4.5/5)

10. Rico Rodriguez

Rico Rodriguez Banned

They made a post in Winter 2017, that they were going to complete the fic and it is not dead.

11. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

But most likely, she and everyone on this site will be dead before she gets even close. Probably even before the next update.

12. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I feel like they've been making the same post since 2013.

13. PWIZDUO

PWIZDUO Fourth Year

14. Doleful

Doleful Muggle

Well, time to reread the entire story. I am very excited, though. I honestly believed this story was abandoned, despite what the author said.

15. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I remember really enjoying this but for the life of me even with the cliffnotes the author gave I can't really remember anything at all.

16. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    haha i had the same "omg" reaction! guess we have to change the status from 'abandoned'. Amazing present!

17. Maelstorm212

Maelstorm212 First Year

Was a good update, but the final confrontation part at hogsmeade seemed a bit forced

18. DarkAizen

DarkAizen Professor DLP Supporter

Man, I'm old. I've started this story 13 years ago...

Anyway I brushed past a lot of scenes, sure some things are interesting but they also seem very rushed... And very un-canon for Voldermort to admit Dumbledore was weakened by Snape.

Anyway, hopefully I would still be alive to see an end to this.

19. nissassa

nissassa Squib

Maybe someone could remove the abandoned tag...

20. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

I’ve been rereading this and either my memory is shot or this story has changed a bunch. I’m not recognizing most of what I’m reading.

Still good though.