1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Hogwarts Legacy

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Gengar, Mar 17, 2022.

1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:

I'm a little speechless right now after watching that. I'll compile my thoughts later.

I'll just say that this might reinvigorate my love for the franchise. Almost everything I wanted was here (RIP Transfiguration).

@Taure they mention Merlin going to Hogwarts. Wut?

2. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I just wish the combat wasn't them simply standing around and blasting spells that seem to be preset.

The showing of a killing curse being fired off by the player seems kind of odd though, even if you are playing a wizard / witch who came into their mysterious power at the age of 15. Only acceptable use of the killing curse I ever saw was in the LEGO HP games.

3. Gengar

High Score:
    Movement on the battlefield was definitely showcased and the mooks weren't fighting back, remember. Water blink was one really notable one.

And even if it's the most busted spell in the game, I'm not speccing into AK when i can Zeus ppl

4. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

This is everything I wanted from HP game. Even new characters in this trailer are fun enough to work as replacement of these from books.

5. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  6. Owimbowé

Owimbowé Fourth Year

Wow this game is restoring the feeling.

They seem to have gone above and beyond and made a really detailed Hogwarts. All I wanted was to explore the castle and its secrets, and it seems like we will get that and much more.

Day one for me folks !

7. Gengar

High Score:
    I think they mentioned one of the side- characters' defining traits was that she was all about 'Justice,' (which is fine esp given the time period) but I'm not sure I trust video game writers to get that right and not feel totally cringe. Especially unproven ones.

8. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The setting looks great. Really intricate and detailed. That said, the game is going to sink or swim based on story, and "evil goblins" doesn't really do it for me.

9. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Said it in Discord but....this looks like we're getting an Indie Harry Video game.

10. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

It don't expect them to be amazing. Just original enough to have NPC not clones of themselves or with no distinct characters to make the different from each other.

The game better be easy to make mods because I want Harry Potter setting in the future. Hogwarts' timelessness makes it a lot easier since you only need to focus on characters.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that whoever was doing the script is at least familiar with some HP fics, if not a full time fan.

11. Damy

Damy First Year

I'm interested, but not overly so. Will probably get it though.

Combat looks underwhelming. In one scene there were 5 or 6 enemies, yet most of them just stood around, waiting for their turn. Coming off Elden Ring that seems clunky and immersion breaking.

Also, I saw a 25 min timer, which screams "pay to make stuff go faster" to me. Even if you can't pay, why on earth would you put a timer on an upgrade? Just make people earn it through content.

12. lopeck

lopeck Groundskeeper

I'm currently in two minds about the game.

There is a lot to be said about the actual Harry Potter side. I personally never like a bunch of the design decisions made in the movies. And this is clearly modeled after that. Add in "ancient magic" and a whole lot else that doesn't gel well with book canon and I'm not particularly hyped for this version of the wizarding world. That said, I understand that they are treading a lot of new ground, and that they need to make a functioning action game with interesting explorable areas and enemies to fight. So I'm willing to cut them some slack on that front. As @KHAAAAAAAN!! said, it's the story and characters that make or break it for me.

Howerver, the much bigger problem with the game is the actual game part. One of the few times we actually see any interface it shows timed crafting materials and limited resources for craftable items. As well as a bunch of different outfits, and cosmetics in general, that apparently come with added stats. This all screams cash shop and mobile game mechanics.

I wouldn't even be surprised if it's "soft" multiplayer. You can visit each others rooms of requirements! Go on adventures with you friends! Go check out that traveling merchant that only spawns in other peoples worlds! Forced online, additional reason to sell cosmetics and building materials, ect.

Until people get their hands on the game and confirm it's 100% offline I won't get my hopes up.

13. Gengar

High Score:
    Wait for reviews re combat. I'll bet my left nut that the AI was turned off so they could showcase the MC's spells.

Focus on the tools they showed, and their likely reasons for being there. Plant pets that tank for you, shields, apparation/blinking.

Hopefully we can conjure some physical barriers too...

14. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

Not going to lie, this looks incredible.

Also interesting note, but in the gameplay video, the date on one of the newspapers is 1890. Since Dumbledore was born in 1881, and we start as a 5th year, I am assuming that we’ll see a 11 year old Dumbledore being sorted when our character reaches their 7th year.

15. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

16. kira and light

kira and light Seventh Year

This does look pretty good way better than I expected.

The only things I am skeptical about is the combat which is a pretty hard nut to crack for purely magic based games

The only thing I hate is the "aNcIent MAgics" which just seems to be a way to make your character a special snowflake to pull out lightning from the heavens as 5th year without experience I mean it is cool but it seems this magic will only be power boosted normal magic instead of an interesting take on ancient magic which is not only combat-based.

Also good news they confirmed on Twitter that there will be no microtransactions and in the PlayStation blog it is mentioned that this will only be a single player game.

17. Gengar

High Score:
    It's a sign of the times that our minds went there, but if we're growing our own ingredients, I guess it makes sense.

I can't overstate how much I hate 'Chosen One' stories now... but in a game I'd rather not be limited to the 5th year syllabus.

Ideally the franchise can leave the school setting if they make sequels (as much as i can't wait to explore Hogwarts) so the refrain won't be necessary in the future, but I'm way more focused on gameplay in this game over story.

18. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ok, this is more than I ever expected from an HP game.

If you had asked me for a Wishlist, this'd be it. I can see a lot of potential here.

It's clear the people making the game know the content and feel.

19. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pottermore canon is that Merlin attended Hogwarts and was in Slytherin. This either means Hogwarts is significantly older than the 1,000 years previously estimated or the Muggle legends about Merlin are wrong/deliberate misinformation by wizards.

I think it's inevitable that the magic in any HP video game will be non-canonical because it is just very difficult to gameify the canon magic system. I think you just have to roll with it and accept that its an adaptation for a different medium.

20. Gengar

High Score:
    Huh. Hogwarts being older than 1000 years could be interesting.