1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Hogwarts Legacy

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Gengar, Mar 17, 2022.

1. lopeck

lopeck Groundskeeper

Well, that assuages at least some of my fears.

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That trailer was literally a wishlist of everything I want from a Harry Potter game.

3. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    Before the witch hunts prompted the introduction of the International Statute of Secrecy, wizardkind did live side by side with their non-magical counterparts. I makes sense that there would be parts of their long, shared history together was so firmly etched into the Muggle world that erasing it wasn't a viable option, so they changed historical records and misdated them so the Muggles would be more likely to eventually dismiss it as myth and folklore.

I am so freaking confused by this game, though: On the one hand, I have people left, right and centre telling me how much the Potions Master looks like Sirius Black, meaning that this must be Phineas Nigellus Black, and I just don't see it. Meanwhile, if you look up the 14 minute sneak peek and pause it when the student is sorted into his house, there is a man in what looks like an emerald tailcoat is pretty much indistinguishable from the description of Professor Black's portrait in the books: Black hair and a pointy beard, clad in magnificent finery in the Slytherin colours, and it also seems it would make more narrative sense if this was Black than the Potions Master. An unreasonable headmaster would up the stakes for misbehaviour at school... Also, is it just me, or does the Charms teacher look like Armando Dippet?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
  4. idisarmagorilla

idisarmagorilla Banned

The setting does seem influenced by the movies, it could be interesting to walk around. Re the gameplay, personally I don't believe I'll be into it, but I'm generally not into video games so that doesn't say much.

JKR did great combining folklore & myths but she should really have left Merlin alone. Not only did Merlin's myth began taking off sometime in ~1000AD [based on myths (obviously) predating that], but the legends have created a Merlin with druidical characteristics which really don't fit with having being educated at Hogwarts and Harry Potter magic in general (at least not with the modern magic we see).

Sorry for going off on a tangent, I'd better write my rants in the Regrettable fanon (disregarding what Pottermore says).

5. Sowaka

Sowaka Second Year

Looks very "standard mass appeal Western game". Combat will probably get old fast. Will be worth playing for the exploration, I suppose.

6. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

This is apparently also coming to the Switch ... somehow. If it's not cloud-based, I expect that port to be pretty awkward. If it is cloud-based, it's guaranteed to be awful.

7. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

I’d sell my soul for a Harry Potter based game made by Rockstar. Grand Theft Magic, Red Dead Hogwarts.

8. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

dont act like you’re not aroused rn.

Yeah, in a story, or in a fic or a film I value certain things. But make me Indy Harry in the awakening of the magus and give me a common room with rich textures and a far too textured castle to Skyrim around in and I’ll let you have my firstborn. No shame in my mind.

9. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I am absolutely on board for this. Video games, at their core, are about power fantasies. Nothing more power Fantasy than indie Harry

10. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't think there's a medium I don't prefer power fantasies in - but I'm more tolerant of them not being one in film, it feels the least personal.

Everything else though? Give me power fantasy.

11. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

Spell dodging! Indy!Harry's laps around the great lake are finally justified.

12. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If I can't give my character quidditch-honed panty-dropping abs, what is even the point?

13. StudentPanaKleksa

StudentPanaKleksa First Year

High Score:
    I need slightly-evil-but-very-loving Slytherin girlfriend to be fully satisfied.

14. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

The flying seems..ok.

But I wish they had incorporated quidditch.

Combat looks weak.

The castle though...looks amazing.
    I love how BIG and lavish the common rooms are.

I really hope they went all in packing the castle with content.

It would have been cool if they did Diagon alley rather than Hogsmeade.

But I understand Hogsmeade gives them a chance to show off outdoor aread

15. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Interactions with the other characters is pretty much the one thing they should tell more about. Making friends and rivals, possible romance, that's what I expect from full experience of going to Hogwarts.

I feel that they're leaving quidditch for later reveal. They need to have something for a surprise in the next nine months.

I suspects that London locations could be future DLC. They would fit for a new content without making a sequel.

16. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I mean... it would be pretty hard to do a story about a Goblin rebellion without having Gringotts in the game, no?

Diagon Alley is probably in there.

17. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I figure the part of the video where they're riding in a cart underground on rails was about Gringotts.

18. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    I watched just enough to decide to buy it (around the time my erection reached full mast) and closed out the video so I can go into it with minimal info.

Incredibly excited about this.

19. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

New trailer:

20. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Kinda wish they would take another year-ish to smooth out the animation and the face capture.

Lookin kinda sketch atm.