1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel Cinematic Universe General Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Andrela, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Some CGI artists may die to finish this in three months, but it's a sacrifice Marvel is willing to make.

2. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

At which sizeable and already involved target audience are they actually aiming because I can't think of a group, that is going to watch this.

I didn't feel addressed at all, and after being tricked by Moon Knight I really don't feel like giving it a try.

3. Celestin

These that will call it Sex and the Superheroes?

4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I see potential for a fanbase crossover with dudes who thirsted after Lady Dimitrescu

5. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

6. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wandavision is not required.

None of us who went to see it had watched it.

I came away from it with mostly the same thoughts, and haven't seen a single episode.

Maybe a general, incredibly basic knowledge of why Scarlet Witch is so stupidly broken in he comics would help? That's all I knew. Totally surface level.

They explain enough in the movie.

7. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

Just watched Multiverse of Madness. My main takeaways:
    I've never seen a movie that needed a "Previously on the Marvel Cinematic Universe" section before the movie. To get the full context of what was going on, you needed to have seen:
    - The Infinity War and Endgame movies, as well as any related movies leading up to them (Wanda killing Vision, Thanos' snap, Strange's decision to allow for the snap, etc.),
    - The previous Dr. Strange movie (his origins, obviously, as well as who Christine, Wong, and Mordo are)
    - Spider-Man: No Way Home (why Dr. Strange isn't the Sorcerer Supreme anymore)
    - Wandavision (who Wanda's kids are, how they came about, how they lost them)
    - Possibly Loki (why the Multiverse hasn't been a thing until now) or Spider-Man: Far From Home
    - Season 4 of Agents of SHIELD (the Darkhold's original appearance)
    - Inhumans (Black Bolt)
    - Any of the Fantastic Four movies
    - Any of the Xmen movies with Patrick Stewart
    - Potentially others.

Granted, you don't need to have seen all of them to get what was going on, but the number of tie-ins the movie had is staggering. Hell, the bit where Strange is running down the hallway towards America and Christine and all you see is a shadow and some noises made me think we were going to see that alien cat from Captain Marvel show up. At that point it wouldn't have phased me.

That being said, I enjoyed the movie. No cinematic masterpiece, but it was enjoyable. Taking advantage of the anti-plot armor that alternate universe versions of characters typically have made this movie stray closer to an M rating than you'd typically see in Marvel, what with all the gore. Also, the bit where Strange possessed his own corpse and was flying around with a cape made of trapped demonic spirits was probably the most metal thing I've seen in the last year.

8. KGB

KGB Headmaster

So the new Thor trailer is out.

And that is one generic bad guy they have there.

9. Celestin

MCU is a lot better with their villains these days, but it could go either way.

I'm conflicted about the Zeus scene. It's funny, but at the same time everyone is complaining about double standards these days and I have a rule that if the scene wouldn't pass done by the other gender it probably shouldn't be included.

10. KGB

KGB Headmaster

When someone goes "I'm ghunna kill all the ghods!" I'm not holding my breath.

11. Mr. Mixed Bag

Mr. Mixed Bag Seventh Year

Well, when the character you're adapting is "Gorr the God Butcher" I feel like a bit of kill all ghods is inevitable. What's more important than the end goal is how they sell his backstory and do his dialogue. Which isn't to say that he will be good, just that he could be. I did like what visuals we got from the trailer.

12. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It’ll be fun to see Christian Bale in something again. He’s been pretty quiet in recent years. Dude can act.

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ms. Marvel's first episode was actually shockingly great. No idea where it's going but yeah. Fun with a side of fun.

See if you can spot the "That's America's ass" merch.

14. James

James Unspeakable

Finally saw MoM. My biggest takeaway is that i don’t give a fuck about MCU anymore. Every fucking villain and every fucking hero is driven and/or defined by their inability to cope with their past trauma. Its fucking boring.

15. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Ms Marvel is the exact opposite lol.

16. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Ms. Marvel is surprisingly fun.

I really like the actress who plays Kamala. She has a lot of charm to her.
    I can easily imagine how fun her interactions with Kate Bishop and Black Widow's sister could be.

The production is also pretty good.
    And most surprisingly of all, its a disney+ show, with an actual good script.(genuinely shocking)

The last episode had a really unbelievable moment happen, but everything that happens before was good enough that I could look past it.

17. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Found Thor pretty disappointing, to be honest. I really liked Ragnarok, but the big criticism of that film - that it used humour too much at the expense of emotional moments - really came true for this one, and even when the jokes aren't undercutting other things, they often felt dragged out and/or laboured.

It doesn't help that the plot is pretty thin by comparison to Ragnarok. Bale does decent work with a relatively limited role, but that strand is a pretty generic superhero story. The return of Jane Thorster is better, but what could have been the latest example of the post-Endgame trend for taking characters/actors who have been wasted in earlier films and doing interesting things with them is undermined by the fact that it's a relationship that hasn't been seen on-screen in nearly a decade, and was last seen in The Dark World, generally - justifiably - seen as one of if not the worst film in the entire MCU.

18. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Yeah latest Thor... 3.5/10. I was bored mostly. Humor fell mostly flat as well.

19. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Chris Hemsworth said that he felt like the film was made by a 4 year old.
    It was written off as him saying Taika was whimsical and such nonsense.

But now, it kinda feel like he was speaking the honest truth.

Such a shame.

I still maintain that the best thing to ever happen to the MCU were the Russo brothers.
    Everything they did was gold.
    Ever since they left....the whole thing seems to be coming apart at the seems.

Lets see if James Gunn can right the ship.

Also, it seems like Phase 4 is heavily focused on introducing more female characters.
    Its not a complaint.
    Its just something that I have noticed.
    Just wish they could nail one of them right. So far none of them really stand out to me.

20. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And there we have it:

(Ms Marvel episode 6 spoilers)

We have our first mutant/X-Man in the MCU who isn't in an alternate universe/dimension.

Gotta say the little riff of the classic X-Men theme is pretty cool. Disney clearly know they have a kick ass theme tune to exploit there.

Thor Love and Thunder was fine. Entertaining but nothing to write home about. Definitely nowhere near as good as Ragnarok.

It was basically a pure comedy which occasionally decided to talk about cancer, one of the biggest buzzkills imagable. So had a big problem with clash of tone. But the action was fun, most of the jokes landed. It functions as a serviceable action comedy. But it fails at a character story.

Once again they have managed to put Thor on the path of a novel character arc/storyline with the ending, suggesting the character has a fair amount more mileage before he is retired from the MCU.

But given how they wasted/glossed over the whole "Asgardians of the Galaxy" plotline, which could have been an entire film in and of itself, who knows if they will actually put their money where their mouth is as regards Thor having to be a dad.