1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Philly Homer, May 3, 2009.

1. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Is that the one where he pits his characters up against other famous characters, and has his super special swordsman OC beat Rand al'Thor?

2. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

I mean, he doesen't oppose it on principle. He thinks it's a bad way to learn writing if you're not building your own world and character. He's hardly trying to improve his own writing at this point.

Otherwise he just doesen't want to know about asoiaf fanfiction because of legal reasons, but doesen't care if his fans write it.

3. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

He kind of does because other than mentioned reasons he said he doesn't want people playing with his characters without his agreement.

I suppose, the question is whether or not he asked the owners of WoT before writing it.

4. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

When did he do that?

The only comments I found on his opinion are these.

5. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Link.

It's long and he adds even to that in comments to it, but one of the reasons is that he doesn't want his characters to be used by others.

6. Jaska

Jaska Third Year

Skimmed some of that fanfiction through. GRRM describes Jaime taller and stronger than Rand. Did he forget about the books? Rand's almost two meters tall, over a hundred kilograms of muscle.

7. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

Okay, this pissed me off. I've already seen GRRM's post about fanfiction (posted, amazingly, just one month after he wrote his own piece of fanfiction) and I was kinda willing to let it go. I don't have an issue with people not liking fanfiction, or feeling threatened by it, or whatever. That's a them problem, not a me problem.

Writing a fuckoff massive post about all those reasons, shortly after you yourself have written a shitfic of your own? Complaining about people writing your characters when they don't really understand them, just a few weeks after you yourself have murdered the main characters (both literally and figuratively) of someone else's creation?

Except of course I know what the response would be. He, likely, had permission to write his little piece (it was, after all, done in response to another little bit of fanfic written on a Random House website). It may even have been requested by his publisher to up engagement. If his arguments against fanfiction were purely legal, then maybe I'd just shrug and accept it, but they're not.

8. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    But this isn't fanfiction he's a real legitimate very important celebrity chef author not some lowly fan

9. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    So can someone explain who these dudes were with Jaime?

10. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Why do people give a shit about what GRRM has to say about something like this? This is the same person who said in a fight between Aragorn and Jaime that Jaime would win, simply because he's armored. Ignore the fat fuck, he's never going to finish TWoW or the series in general.

11. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

It really makes no difference to the way I look at fanfic, but it does mean that I now kinda want to support fan authors looking to monetize asoiaf fanfic, cos fuck that guy.

12. RFE

RFE Squib

Considering his writing speed, I'm guessing he wishes for his characters to remain in a dust-ridden shelf, then?

13. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

I know this isn't a meme thread, but I saw this on Reddit barely a day after you posted that:

14. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    The whole GRRM fanfiction thing was apparently written as a part of some fan run vs thing a few years back, where a load of authors wrote out how they thought the fight might go. There's also Jaime Lannister vs Hermione Granger and Jaime Lannister vs Cthulu. The theme to most of his fights seems to be 'Tyrion gives Jaime a plan, and he executes it perfectly'. It's clearly all tongue in cheek, none of them were taking it seriously.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/2cir7j/author_writeups_from_the_original_suvudu_cage/

Rothfuss, Sanderson and Novik all pitched in too.

The original website seems to be dead btw, so only some of the links redirect to actual stories. Only GRRM and Novik's links work.

Also, it's hilarious to read a lot of the comments on reddit around these stories because apparently Jaime bodying everyone (In GRRM's versions) made a lot of people incredibly irritated. I'm half convinced that GRRM was just trolling at the time.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  15. Torol

Torol Banned

16. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I will believe it when I see it.

And even if, by some miracle, Winds does appear some day, the final book is unlikely to ever be written. At least not by GRRM. He's 73, obese, and a chronic procrastinator who in short order will have a whole new slate of TV series to distract himself with.

17. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's been farting out messages like that blog post for years now, and they've never amounted to anything. He's been "almost finished" writing Winds for the better part of a decade at this point. I've long since resigned myself to not getting to read the thing until well after the old bastard croaks.

18. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Him and Rothfuss. Just awesome talents that can't finish, man

19. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

It's not so much "can't" as it is "won't". I read a list somewhere of everything Martin has written since ADwD came out in 2010. The dude has finished something like 26 or 28 novels, novellas and reference works in that time. In terms of the page count, he's written more than twice as many pages as the entire ASoIaF series currently contains in that 12 year period.

As far as I can tell, the dude just got burned out on writing the main series, and now the only Westeros-related things he can muster the motivation to write are Targaryen-era prequels that no one in the fandom is particularly desperate to read.

20. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I can't wait for the Dance TV show lmao. The actors are dope, the base material is dope. Matt Smith is dope. It's gonna be a fucking good time, especially since the beginning, the end, and most of the meat are already in stone and it's a banger. There's no subversions to be had. No D&D

Yeah I know that it ultimately ends in dogshit with GOT, but I'm able to separate it and enjoy.

God it's gonna be fun. Can't wait to read about how people are mad. 99% because I'll likely enjoy it, 1% about reading how people are mad.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022