1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry's disinterest in women

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Torol, Jul 12, 2022.

1. Torol

Torol Banned

Does anyone else find it strange how little he was interested in women other than Ginny and Cho with such a large female cast. He goes to ball with Parvati but doesn't seem interested in her or anyother gryffindor girl. There's Luna, Fleur and other cast who again he doesn't seem interested in. I find it strange for a teenage boy.

2. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

Eh, not really. There's what, an assumed twenty girls per year? Five per house, and therefore the only ones he'd regularly interact with? Speaking as someone who went to a private elementary school with those exact numbers, finding only a couple girls who catch your eye is not unrealistic at all.

3. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

It's a mainstream children's book, not a harem anime. Harry might have been very interested in the opposite sex, but Rowling didn't include it because it didn't belong in the books or served the plot. Likewise, you rarely see Harry going for a piss, but that doesn't mean he never urinates.

4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You know, there are teenagers who aren't stereotypes from teen comedies. And do you really think you missed out on something not reading about Harry's boner every time he glanced at Susan Bones' tits?

5. haphnepls

haphnepls Groundskeeper

6. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

I think its because Harry loves cock. No seriously. I think every free moment he had under that invisibility cloak he was thinking of how he wants to slurp cock.

He wants to gobble that cock like he is pacman and the cock is a pellet.

This is immediately apparent in the Goblet of Fire, when upon meeting Fleur, Harry doesn't proceed to sexually harass her until they fuck.

Another example is in the Deathly Hollows is when Ron leaves Harry and Hermione, and Harry doesn't try to fuck his best friends girlfriend. Like they are alone in the tent. Obviously Hermione would not be into it but because of the implication she would have to have sex with him.

But Harry does not do either of these things, why?

Because he loves cock, he salivates for it.

Look at Ginny, in this puritanical uptight conservative society Harry has found himself in him, his insatiable love of cock is nearly impossible to fulfill, so he settles for the closes thing to a man he can marry without being deemed a homosexual, and in those late late nights when Harry his lips wrapped around her massive chode, all he can dream of is a throbbing red cock.

7. MuggsieToll

MuggsieToll Seventh Year

He was getting plenty of tang on the reg from Alicia Spinnet, Katie Bell, and Angelina Johnson.

Why mess around with Ginny, who's dating Dean, Luna, who's nuttier than a fruitcake, or Cho, who's banging Cedric? He's got a harem of older athletic chicks ready to drop their Victorian undergarments for the BWL.

8. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Please just answer me this. Did you, as a teenager, lust after everything that moved?

9. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    I don't think that it's unusual at all.

10. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    U saying that you didn't bro? That's not normal bro. U should get that checked out bro.

11. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

There's ways to express it that wouldn't have been crass, and would have been completely relatable to the male half of the audience.

I found his disinterest pretty baffling when I first read the series. When I was a teenager, I was absolutely checking out every girl around me. I would find myself becoming physically attracted even to frumpy, ugly ones if they had cool personalities. And for the non-ugly ones, even fairly plain girls always had something about them that I noticed and liked. That's not to say I acted on even a tiny fraction of the those attractions, but they were definitely a noticeable part of my daily life.

Personally, I always put Harry's staggering lack of interest down to Rowling being a woman, and therefore having no frame of reference for how a heterosexual teenage boy actually thinks or feels.

12. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Rowling has a thing called editors (or at least had until OotP) and a limit on word count, unlike fanfiction. When characters mention Bertha Jorkins or Willy Widdershins offhand, it's because they actually come up in the plot later, not just to show that some other people exist in the Potterverse. It's the same for the majority of books I've read. I was a horny teenager just like any other and I still don't bother inserting any references to random girls when they don't serve any purpose to the story in the fanfiction I'm writing, because I'm actually focused on writing a story instead of checking out random imaginary girls.

My headcanon is that Harry definitely noticed the women around him, and probably jacked off regularly, it just wasn't written into the books.

13. Othalan

Well, sure it wasn't exactly plot-relevant most of the time, but the absence of any quasi-realistic moments of awareness of other females makes Harry's laser focus on Cho - and later Ginny - actually kind of jarring and weird. Even as a kid when I was reading the books as they came out, I thought it was bizarre that Harry went from zero interest to obsessing like a weirdo. Yes, I remember having crushes on specific girls, and I could get pretty pathetic about it as a teenager, but I still noticed other girls and still absolutely would have jumped at the chance to go out with other girls.

The way he totally ignored Parvati at the Yule Ball in favor of brooding about the Tournament and creeping on another dude's date is something I've never been able to understand. Not even from the usual fanfic standpoint of "That's so mean/inconsiderate!", but rather from the standpoint of a teenage boy who's clearly not getting any. Even during the worst of my teenage crush phase, I would have been absolutely thrilled that some other non-hideous, non-obnoxious girl actually wanted to go out with me, regardless of who I may have been crushing on at the time. And so would any of the teenage guys I knew growing up, for that matter. Any one of us would have made her the center of attention purely because she was there and she was interested. I'm sure we would have been totally inept about it, but the effort would absolutely have been there. But again, Harry has weird laser focus when he's not acting utterly asexual.

I don't think anyone is seriously saying the series would have been improved by having Harry jerk it every night before bed to a different girl, or by having him constantly thinking about sex the way real teenagers do. But maybe the occasional middle ground between "total disinterest" and "creepy hyper-focus" would have made him a bit more relatable.

14. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You never went to a school disco where the boys all congregate at one end of the room and the girls at the other and barely interact?

Maybe this is a British/American cultural divide.

15. Othalan

Uh, no, that was never a thing where I went to school. At least not once you'd gotten to high school (ages 14-18). And if they actually had a date for a school dance, then even younger kids definitely weren't playing wallflower like that. By high school, the only ones who did stuff like that were the ones that had no dates, and were too unconfident to go looking for one. I definitely fell into that category a couple of times myself when I was younger, but I was in a very small minority. Like, small to the point where it was actually fairly humiliating being one of the only people on the sidelines not dancing.

Maybe in Middle School (age 12-13) or Elementary School (age 5-11) dances that was a thing, but definitely not once everyone was a few years into puberty. Is it really so different across the pond? It just always seemed normal to me...

16. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Well, personally I'm glad we didn't get any more focus on girls. God knows any time Rowling tried to write a romantic relationship into the story it ended as a total waste of paper. (seriously, have you read HBP? that shit was painful)

17. Othalan

Oh, yeah, I definitely felt the same. It's actually a part of why I've just assumed all these years that, as a woman, Rowling just didn't get teenage boys, because that shit made no sense to me at all. And fair enough; as a man, I have little doubt that I have practically zero understanding of what goes on in a teenage girl's mind day-to-day, so I don't exactly expect her to have that insight when I know I don't.

But as a hypothetical, if Rowling was good enough to actually pull it off, I think it would have made Harry more relatable and "real" feeling to have at least a little bit of that sprinkled through the later books.

18. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Ahhhhh!!! You just triggered one of those memories that make you physically cringe...

19. MuggsieToll

MuggsieToll Seventh Year

JKR really could have just, you know, asked someone with a bit more understanding of the teenage male brain to help her.

You know the locker room 'Plug it up!' scene in Carrie? Stephen King's wife was heavily involved because he wrote some garbage, realized it was garbage, and then asked her to help him.

20. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Or maybe Harry had bigger things to worry about than boobs.

Like a Dark Lord trying to shank him, every role model he had getting murdered, and really really shitty teachers.

By the time Harry reaches puberty, his life is utterly fucked.

Plus, let's be honest here, do we really want Harry to be acting like Harry Dresden?