1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming movies and shows in 2023

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by ScottPress, May 26, 2022.

1. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Hi. We snow

2. MetalGearGreninja

MetalGearGreninja Banned

Villeneuve's Dune Part 2 is scheduled for November 3rd. I'll watch anything of his after Blade Runner 2049. Might have to fill in the wait going through his older films.

Torn between wanting part 2 to leak early so I dont have to go to the theater and wanting Villeneuve to get his bag.

3. Oment

Oment The Betrayer DLP Supporter

About verbatim my reaction.

4. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    I guess studios have run out of original IPs again, so they need to get out the old familiar names, even if the connection to the source material is loose at best.

Case in point: Dinner for One, the theatre sketch we Germans have watched on New Year‘s Eve without fail for half a century now*, is reportedly getting a prequel. It is said to focus on the exploits of the young Miss Sophie, the character celebrating her 90th birthday with a dinner party in the original sketch, and her friends. All of which are guests at said dinner party, but have been dead by that point for at least 25 years so their roles at the table are fulfilled by Miss Sophie‘s butler, James.

Possibly the most unnecessary prequel in the history of prequels. And that includes the various SpomgeBob spin-offs.

*Interestingly, by comparison the English have never found the sketch very funny at all. I rather suspect a large part of its staying power is the fact that everyone who watches it in Germany knows the thing by heart, knows exactly when to laugh and naturally corrupts their offspring as well.

5. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

This looks surprisingly fun.

6. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Really? I saw the trailer for that in the theater when I went to see Top Gun a while back, and at the time I remember thinking it looked really awful.

7. Arthellion

High Score:
    I mean this trailer just came out a day ago.

It's not gonna be a masterpiece, but looks to be same quality as an average marvel film. Seems to really capture the DnD vibe of a serious epic high fantasy that gets derailed by insane party members.

8. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think perhaps what @DR meant -- and I agree -- is that it's not a style that will resonate with everyone. To me it looks like the Warcraft movie from 2016. In my head, I just can't marry this visual style which clearly has had a lot of work put into it with the anachronistic modern jokes, it just doesn't click for me. I guess I'm saying that when it comes to fantasy films, I'm looking for something like the LotR trilogy rather than the Hobbit movies of 2010s. This trailer is the latter.

9. Arthellion

High Score:
    Gotcha. I think you nail it though. DNDs essence isn’t meant to be LOTR. It’s meant to be Monte Python.

[​IMG]

I feel like the trailer captures this vibe pretty well. Think more Taron Egerton's Robin Hood or Heath Ledger's A Knight's Tale.

10. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

This movie would work better if they went full meta with it and it was basically a session played by a group of friends. Basically a big budget Community D&D episode.

11. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I dunno, I think both trailers I've seen for that look pretty fun.

12. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Scott being my interpreter shows just how far we've come since like 2015 or whatever.

13. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Do you mean, a bunch of people sitting around the table playing ala Critical Role?
    or
    Maybe something in like Westworld? Enter the "Park" as your character, possessing their attributes?
    or
    Having a realistic virtual world, and DnD is a futuristic MMORPG?

I could really get into the possibilities of a movie or series of movies using the last example. All sorts of cool things could go on.
    1. Straight up adventure in existing worlds (Baldur's Gate, Feywild, Shadowfell, Underdark, etc.)
    2. Something Tron-esque in a different part of the world. (for the cliche 'someone's broke into the system' trope)
    3. A flat out existing DnD adventure (Curse of Strahd, Tomb of Horrors, Dungeon of the Mad Mage, etc.)
    4. ...
    5. Profit $

14. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Hobbit movies maybe, but I'm not convinced that we're ever going to get anything like the original LotR trilogy again. Jackson got basically a blank check for Return of the King's budget. Hollywood is too econometricized these days.

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Looks about the same level of kitsch as the first D&D movie, but this time it's actually including elements players will recognize.

It doesn't look "good" by any means, but it will probably be a laugh.

16. Jack-O

Jack-O Second Year

NGL, I was expecting something like Battleship. Being based on the actual history of the game is a pleasant surprise. Too bad it’s only on Apple TV+.

17. Arthellion

High Score:
    This looks fun. First time I think they’ve actually portrayed the TMNT as like younger teenagers. Loved the animated shows but they’ve always come across as super late teens so this is a fun direction.

18. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I love the art style. Feels a bit too zoomer-tastic for me to really enjoy the movie, but I'm at least interested enough to keep an eye out for it. Hopefully it ends up being good.

19. Arthellion

High Score:
    Initial reviews from reviewers for Honor Among thieves are really favorable.

be interested to see how it translates to general audience.

88% on rotten tomatoes atm

20. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    Daisy Jones & The Six released the final two episodes of its run today, and as someone who was really looking forward to this for the last couple of years, I‘m so happy the show was good.

Some changes from the book, but introduced sensibly and all of them played out to what I thought was a reasonable conclusion.

Definitely ended on a high with the strongest set of episodes and an overall rating of 8/10 for me. Riley Keough especially was a revelation.