1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Hogwarts Legacy

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Gengar, Mar 17, 2022.

1. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Here's another gameplay showcase where they show off broom travel, hippogriff travel, Room of Requirements that you can customize, a vivarium where you keep safe the magical creatures from poachers (this can also be customized) and some sort of Dark Arts arena hidden away in the Forbidden Forest where you can apparently blast the Killing Curse, Crucio and Imperio at your enemies - no idea if these will be actually available outside the arena

2. omnipotentatus

omnipotentatus Second Year

As they were explaining it in the video, that Dark Arts arena is kind of like a showcase area, where you can try spells, including ones you haven't unlocked, in an arena wave thing. That includes trying out the Unforgivable Curses before going down the Dark Arts path. So it seems like going dark will allow you to unlock the Unforgivable Curses including the killing curse, seems like the Killing Curse is an instant kill no matter the opponent's level as well (it does have a long cooldown though, so you can't just go around spamming it). Looks like an fine implementation for an inherently OP spell in a game.

3. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is looking pretty good, and I like how the goblins feel like a threat with their magic. Not sure how I feel about this 'ancient magic' shit though; it feels like someone dipping their toes into fanfic for the first time.

4. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think we should prepare ourselves for a lot of dumb tropes that are dumb because they're overdone in fanfiction but the wider audience has no clue.

5. Shizenjin

Shizenjin Squib DLP Bronze Supporter

I get that flying around is cool but its the least interesting thing they have shown off. The entire open world section with the minimap showing dozens of "points of interests" is giving me Skellige ptsd.

6. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Full disclosure I haven't had time to watch the full video myself yet, but I saw discussion on reddit that there was some sort of karma system associated with casting dark magic like the killing curse. Some sort of cost incurred each time you cast a spell to stop you from just spamming killing curse on everything (aside from the long cooldown omnipotenatatus mentioned). That sounds like it could be pretty cool if enough detail is put into it.

I do have to say watching the main character dodge rolling around a troll in close quarters combat like they were in a Witcher/Arkham/Dark Souls game did look a little weird. I guess that must be why Harry was such a successful wizard - his athleticism from Quidditch gave him invincibility frames on his dodge rolls.

7. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

My interest has dipped a fair bit to be honest. Lots of talk of exploring an "open world". Thats not what I want to do in an HP game.
    Seems more like Assasins Creed / Batman / Mordor with a Hogwarts Skin rather than a successor the the PS1 games or Bully.

8. MetalGearGreninja

MetalGearGreninja Banned

Trying my hardest for the worst possible, most karmic ending for a British IP. Everyone dies Mass Effect 2 style

9. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not since syed have I been this confused by a DLP poster

10. Shizenjin

Yeah the scope of the game feels very odd compared to what the fantasy of a "Hogwarts" game should be in my opinion.
    If they did not stick with the Hogwarts titling I might be a bit more lenient with it but the entire appeal here is Hogwarts, and if they have spent ages making a generic open world instead of an in-depth Hogwarts that has lots of nooks and crannies and secrets what is the point really.

11. Arthellion

High Score:
    There are rumors that the game is over a several year period and you leave hogwarts...but just rumors imo

12. Shizenjin

I just don't get why people would want that, rumormongering or not. The entire appeal is to explore Hogwarts and participate in the school system there, them not even having Quidditch in is such a weird choice.

13. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

DLC?

14. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

I hope it has an expansive loot and upgrade system, can't wait to level up my magical core and finding rare occlumency books!

15. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    I'm looking forward to expanding my mind palace Room of Requirement.

16. Arthellion

High Score:
    This is gonna be fanfic on steroids :D

17. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    Man. You're not wrong.

But I've read some absolute trash in my time and the vibe is right.

18. Arthellion

High Score:
    Oh absolutely. I'm gonna lean into the cringe so far.

19. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sooo what? Did they drop the horrible "let's squash the goblin rebellion" plot or are they just avoiding it in the trailer?

20. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I mean, it pretty obvious thing to do if you want to make a game that will please the most people. Take the most popular elements from the most popular fanfics and while it may not ensure it's going to be good, it will ensure it's exactly what people wanted to be able to experience in the HP world.