1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars announcements

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Mordecai, Dec 11, 2020.

1. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Jedi: Origins would have proto-sabers with external power packs. Way less cool than handy, portable laser swords. Laser sword goes brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

2. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    A young Palpatine series would be amazing I think. An adaptation of the Plagueis novel mixed into a House of Cards type tv show. I know that a lot of people disliked the political elements in the prequels, but they were my favourite part. You could set season one before TPM, season two before AotC, and then season three in the Empire era.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    KOTOR sold around 3.2 million copies according to Wikipedia.

If every single person who bought the game paid for a $15 cinema ticket to see a KOTOR movie (unlikely), that's... $48 million in revenue. Basically a rounding error for a franchise that expects movies to make at least $1bn at the box office or be considered a flop.

Appealing to core SW fans is not the commercial "easy win" that SW fans like to imagine.

4. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I mean, at this point I give maybe half a shit about Revan et al, and probably not even that much. I don't give a fuck one way or the other if anyone ever does anything with that bit.

I'm mostly just kinda baffled at the business decision of ignoring what would easily be another $1+ billion movie on the table for no reason. It's almost exactly like Square Enix ignoring the easy win of a FFVII rerelease for decades. They'd stand to make a shitload of money, with a lot of the actual risks already taken and accounted for. It's just kinda baffling.

It's not "people who bought the game". It's "people who would buy a SW movie ticket". The only difference between a Revan movie/show and, say, Rogue One or the Clone Wars stuff or whatever other original material you care to make is that the characters and plot have proven to resonate with at least a significant portion of the SW audience. Add in the massive marketing benefits of the people who are really into that specific set of characters/plot getting excited and it's an easy slam dunk.

5. Skeletaure

High Score:
    My point is that the "SW audience" is basically commercially irrelevant. They are a vocal minority who are always going to be ignored in favour of mainstream appeal, because any SW movie needs mass mainstream appeal to justify its budget.

6. Agayek

That's what I said? It's an easy win for the general audience, because literally the only functional difference between a Revan movie and a <insert original stuff here> movie is that the Revan movie has proven appeal and an already established set of evangelists to provide free marketing.

Edit: To be clear, it's a SW movie, so anything they put out will make money regardless (for now, at any rate). It's just weird that, given how the sequel trilogy's been received that they're not trying to feel out alternative areas of the IP to explore. And a KOTOR movie is good from both a standalone perspective, as its brand strength will carry it to immense profit regardless of how good the individual movie is, and from a franchise perspective, as it lets them sound out the general audience's appetite for more with minimal risk.

Thus, no matter how the movie performs, it's ultimately a win. If it performs well, it'll have primed the audience for more movies in that era and give a whole lot of room to release more movies, and if it performs poorly, it'll at least make a modest return.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
  7. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Is Dynasty in the library? If not, could you talk about it a bit? I'm always on the look out for good Star Wars reads.

8. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Except it has proven appeal to entirely the wrong audience, the hardcore SW fans, whose preferences tend to be at odds with mainstream audiences.

9. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Dynasty is a fun romp but it is a massive guilty pleasure because it's dark Luke Empire wank, the SW equivalent of the HP fics where purebloods are right and Harry joins Voldemort.

10. Agayek

I'm not so sure about that. Just look at Rogue One, which is basically just 2 hours of slobbering all over the dick of hardcore SW fans, versus Solo, which is more of a departure from the fanbase. Or for shows, there's stuff like the Mandalorian vs, say, Rebels and the general reception of that. Or hell, just look at the general reception of the Last Jedi for how well rejecting the fanbase works.

There's certainly a point where pandering to the hyper sweaty SW autists will start to alienate the general audience, but something like the Revan story, which wouldn't be at all out of place as a mainline SW movie, isn't anywhere close to it.

11. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Andor is the best thing they've made in a long while, and the critical acclaim has been from both hardcore SW fans and from folks who like great TV.

If the writers and crew who made that could pivot and make a live-action series set in the Old Republic during the Sith Wars, I bet they could both please the fans and also bring in a lot of new viewers.

When it comes down to it, it's about making good film and television products... which everyone, SW fan and casual viewer, can agree was not the Sequel Trilogy.

12. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    Dynasty was also written before the prequels came out, so it has some questionable pieces of headcanon in it, like
    Owen Lars being Obi Wan's brother and Sidious being Vader's biological father iirc.
    I wouldn't call it well written, and the marvel fics that the author is currently putting out are mediocre at best, but it's definitely worth trying out because of how relevant it used to be. If you read a lot of SW fic, I'm sure that there are various bits of fanon that it came up with you'll recognise from some more modern stuff.

13. MetalGearGreninja

MetalGearGreninja Banned

Rictus's Danse Macabre on Spacebattles is starting to get into Sith politics a bit. The first installment, Path of Ruin, mainly takes place in the Sith Academy on Korriban around the time of The Old Republic MMO.

For official Star Wars media, I'm hopeful for Star Wars Visions second series. It'll probably be a fantastic companion to one hallucinogenic or another. Akakiri was the best mainly cause of this song:

14. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Yeah, as one of those "sweaty Star Wars autists" that @Agayek mentioned, Dynasty is basically unreadable for me these days. It had some neat ideas, but the canon moved on in a very different direction a loooong time ago.

A good alternative that I would recommend is Will of the Empire. Here's the synopsis from its tvtropes page:

"The night before the Battle Of Endor, Darth Vader is subjected to vague but absolutely undeniable premonition by the Force: if he brings his son before the Emperor, either two Sith will remain, or none will. Faced with the prospect that both Master and Apprentice will die, and Luke will survive, Vader gives a series of instructions to his most trusted officer, Firmus Piett. As he lays dying, Anakin Skywalker orders them carried out.

Three weeks later, an Imperial ship arrives in the Endor system, and delivers a galaxy-altering request to the Rebel Alliance: to meet with Luke Skywalker, heir of Lord Vader, and the new Emperor of the galaxy.

Who says Anakin Skywalker can't plan?"

Fair warning, 'Will of the Empire' is a dead fic that hasn't been updated since April of 2020, but the ~180k words that were written are well worth the read. Lots of politics, intrigue and confusion on all sides as Luke Skywalker, the last known Jedi Knight and hero of the Rebellion finds himself on Palpatine's throne. Most of the story is Luke struggling to make peace and reform the Empire, while quite a few people on both sides of the Galactic Civil War consider him a traitor.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
  15. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

Trailer for Ahsoka just dropped and it's looking pretty nice..

16. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So looking like we’ll have three new movies.

An episode 10 with Rey back.

Filoni film set in new republic wrapping up his Disney + stories.

Mangold on an “origin of the Jedi” film,

here’s hoping the Rey film sets a good status quo for the New Jedi Order era.

upload_2023-4-7_12-24-11.jpeg

From the celebration ^

So we have the Acolyte set during High Republic.

Skeleton Crew during New Republic.

Ahsoka during New Republic/Rise of First order.

Curious if we get anything set during old republic soon.

17. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Are the folks making Andor doing any of these?

That is by far and away the best new SW since the original trilogy (I say that not having watched clone wars).

18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As a big fan of Heir to the Empire, that Ahsoka trailer hit all my buttons. Hype. Also... orange saber fanservice for kotor people!!

I could do without Episode 10. A Rey focused show would have been a much better approach. Sequel Era needs a lengthy expansion of those characters and plotpoints to not make it feel so hollow. What Clone Wars did for the prequels basically.

Dawn of the Jedi is something I've wanted to see for a long time, so optimistic about the Mangold film (assuming it doesn't get nuked in pre-dev).

Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
  19. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I assume half of those movies they announced will be cancelled, and it will be the more promising half. Which means the Rey movie will go forward.

20. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

Seems like a bad call. Star Wars is not an adaptation of 50 odd years of generally quality source material as the Marvel films are. A few notable bright spots aside, the EU stuff was not great. I mean hell, a lot of the Star Wars lore doesnt even make any sense.

I dont want to learn about the origin of the jedi, I would like stylish scifi/fantasy genre blending adventure films.