1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

HP fanfic survey 2023

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skeletaure, May 21, 2023.

1. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Smut aside, most HP fics don’t have a lot of sexual content.

If you take a random 5 star story from the DLP library with little/no sexual content and imagine another story with the same concept and quality, but where the lead character is gay, does that ruin it for you?

2. dudeler

dudeler High Inquisitor

High Score:
    I am not totally adverse to same sex relationships in fanfiction, as long as it isn't a main focus of the story. But as others have said before, as soon as someone goes through the trouble of changing a main characters sexuality, it is often done for a reason. Also slash fics are almost universally trash, so I usually give them a wide berth.

I would still give it a try if it comes highly recommended via dlp or another quality source.

3. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    For 'do you read stories where the protagonist is a gay man' I answered yes because, in general terms, I'm perfectly happy to. For the one about stories where Harry is a gay man, I answered yes because I have read and enjoyed such stories, primarily the Sacrifices Arc. To be fair though, that's probably slightly misleading in terms of an HP fanfic survey, because while I'm not someone who has strong feelings about any particular ship, there aren't really any non-canon slash ships that really interest me enough to make a point of reading. And because I get my HP fanfic recs through DLP (not that I read much these days anyway), I generally don't see slash fics that sound interesting.

So in terms of HP fanfic, in principle I would, but in practice I don't.

4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Have proven my identity to the HPFF subreddit mods and am reposting the survey there as it got pretty buried. I understand it will be approved shortly.

Inevitably, given the delay I have tinkered with the questions with the result that the survey being posted to the HPFF reddit is different to the one posted here. Much more tailored to the broader readership there with more questions on slash, Hermione pairings (and indeed pairings generally).

5. Pikachu

Pikachu Banned

I do read slash fics mostly well written romance of Harry paired with generally Draco, Bill, Cedric, Young Tom Riddle, Sirius

6. yargle

yargle Professor

Got hit with a big "oof" feeling when I realized I had to select a different age range than previous years.

I am a little bit curious about the breakdown of the results when filtered by survey location (DLP, discords, r/HPFF, etc). I have some idea of the general demographic interests of DLP and r/HPFF, but data is data.

7. GravityAP

GravityAP First Year

I generally don't read stuff with super prominent relationships which those tend to be and also what you said. If there are fics where Harry is gay and it not just to ship him with Draco, Voldemort, Snape, etc.. I dont think I would dismiss it if it was well done but i haven't seen that really.

8. Mr. Mixed Bag

Mr. Mixed Bag Seventh Year

Personally, when I read fanfiction, it's as a full-on self-inserter. I don't read gay protagonists because I'm not attracted to men. In the same way, if Harry (or whoever) ends up in a relationship with a female character I dislike, I'll generally drop it right there. I don't think I've ever read a Harry/Ginny story to the end. Maybe the same with Harry/Hermione, although that one I'm not sure about.

I guess, in theory, I would read a gay protagonist in a story with no romance. But if an author changes Harry's sexuality, then doesn't include romance, have they even changed it? Like, what's separating a gay Harry and a straight Harry in two different stories if, in both, there's no romance? Seems like it'd be nothing.

9. Niez

Niez Competition Winner CHAMPION ⭐⭐

I confess I still take a great degree of pleasure in clicking the 'no' button, on the 'do you read fem-Harry stories?' question, even after all these years.

10. Pikachu

Pikachu Banned

I agree the only one I read and probably the only good one in that genre is the Harry Potter and the Girl who lived written by Silver aegis back then which was a Harry travelling to another dimension and helping out his younger female counterpart.

11. RandomUser

RandomUser Banned

First time taking the survey and honestly last 2 questions choked me.... couldn't stop my laughter and after seeing the results i literally fell of my chair.... hats off to you sir.

Any way gave my honest answer and turned out that I kind of match 100% with majority. All my answers were in the majority. huh.... that's something

12. James

James Unspeakable

after all this time?

13. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    Page seven was a bit out of left field lol. Harry was definitely under 5 foot 8 though.

Obligatory always.

14. Pikachu

Pikachu Banned

Well fleur did call him leetle boy for a reason

15. sombrero

sombrero First Year

How the fuck did we all somehow agree on Susan's heavy knockers and bountiful curves?
    This is some higher dimension consciousness shit.
    Mankind is connecting. We are becoming more.

16. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I don’t know if he started it, but Jbern has Susan with massive tits when he was popular, and I think that cemented them in the fandom canon.