1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Heleor, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

It's funny how good this season is as a whole, I've seen pretty much every episode order in people's raking.

1. The Devil's Chord
    2. Rogue
    3. The Legend of Ruby Sunday
    4. 73 yards
    5. Dot and Bubble
    6. Church on Ruby Road
    7. Empire of Death
    8. Space Babies
    9. Boom

I liked the season overall. Could have had a bit more tigher plotting, and definitely needed more Ncuti than we got, but alas, it wasn't possible.

2. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

what accent is Ncutti going for because good lord it often threw me for a loop
    Good first season, the ending was kinda mid but the journey was fascinating

3. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It's his own accent, which is to say, Rwandan-Scottish.

4. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, this was the first season of Doctor Who I’ve watched since mid Capaldi.

Honestly… kinda disappointing. I liked the actors, but I thought the writing was very… it lacked something essential.

Doctor Who always had its share of really average or cringe episodes, but they were interspersed with moments of pure brilliance. We had the cringe in this season, but we never had the brilliance. And that sucks.

I was particularly frustrated by 73 yards, which never really explained anything at all. It was just this randoms slice of life that started with this really interesting and creepy mystery. That then just… ended. There was no actual point to any of it. Nothing to say. I wonder if it’s a reflection of post-brexit British despondency.

In Boom I found the emotional device of the little girl asking where her dad was, as they held his corpse, was just really in your face. The start had real potential.

Dot and bubble… like holy shit. Interesting episode, but the ending was just so fucking random. Oh btw they’re all super racist. Ok cool…? But there was nothing of actual substance in there.

The Legend of Ruby Sunday was actually a great episode, good build up ,suspenseful, but massively let down by whatever the fuck the second part was. It gave me real The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit vibes, which were some of the best episodes imo. But again, it was just a veneer with no depth.

Overall, I liked Ncuti Gawa as the doctor and the character of Ruby Sunday.

I thought her character arc from a writing perspective SUCKED though. Like there was all this fucking build up, the snow, and then it turns out it’s all just completely normal but something to do with the dumbest fucking god ever who was attached to the Tardis. I really liked the Maestro is comparison. At least they had character.

Here’s my ranking, but I have absolutely no desire to watch any of these episodes again. And no real motivation to watch the next season, though maybe I’d give it a go if I was bored.

1. The Legend of Ruby Sunday
    2. The Devil's Chord
    3. Space Babies
    4. Dot and Bubble
    5. Rogue
    5. 73 yards
    5. Church on Ruby Road
    6. Boom
    7. Empire of Death

I’m curious, where did this stand up for you guys compared to Capaldi and Jodie Whittaker?

5. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

For me, massive improvement over Whittaker and a bit better than early Capaldi, a bit worse than later Capaldi.

(And to be clear, that's a writing issue with 13, not anything to do with Whittaker's acting.)

6. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I think my main issue with this doctor is he is too emotional all the time, so the gravitas of when he is angry or upset is lost.

Also he cried alot.

7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I’m actually okay with the emotionality for the most part. Tennant was the same. Crying is maybe a bit much though. Less believable at least.

There was a lot of trauma dumping on poor Ruby at the start tho.

8. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Basing it purely on their respective first seasons.

Capaldi vs Gatwa - Capaldi gets a significantly better arc plot, and benefits from having an established companion to back him up rather than an entirely new TARDIS team. It's also a longer season, so more time to dig into the characters, although again, we already know Clara fairly well at that point. However, while 12 starts out as interestingly serious and cold, he's a bit of an arsehole for most of season 8, which is off putting, whereas Gatwa is always watchable not quite alien. Also, while the arc plot is better, there's also a few genuine stinkers amongst the episodes, whereas even Gatwa's worst episodes have some redeeming features. Overall, I think Capaldi's season is probably a bit better, but I'd be more likely to watch Gatwa's season start to finish again, rather than edited highlights.

Whittaker vs Gatwa - her arc plot is more coherent, but kinda dull. Whittaker feels more like an alien, but doesn't really get the writing to back up her performance; her 'fam' aren't especially compelling either - Ruby's backstory may have turned out to be bullshit, but at least Gibson gave a watchable performance. Whittaker also doesn't really get any standout episodes for her, and Kerblam! stands out as genuinely rubbish. Gatwa definitely wins out here.