1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dead Link Here Where I Stand at the Turning of the Years by minniequill - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Skeletaure, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: Here Where I Stand at the Turning of the Years
    Author: minniequill
    Rating: T
    Genre: [Time-travel/Romance
    DLP Category: Time-travel
    Pairing: harry Potter/Minerva McGonagall
    Summary: Post HBP. After the final battle Harry decides to go back in time and change everything. A decision that soon proves difficult. When he loses his heart, all of his careful plans go awry, leaving him with the choice of whether to remain or go back.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3243244/1/

An interesting story: it starts out as a traditional cliche time-travel back to the 1940s story, but a romance that develops between Harry and McGonagall makes it interesting (if a bit rushed and shallow).

Checked by Minion, Nov. 28, 2012
    The story isn't available on ff.net any longer. If you know where to find another copy of the story, please inform the library staff.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2012
  2. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I really liked this story. He had a good story-line so far, and is pretty well-written. I saw no grammar errors. 5/5 for me. I was gonna give it a 4, but the pairing gave it an extra point.

Richard.

3. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

Score. Good choice, Read it all and really enjoyed it, aside from all the Woe-is-me cliche moments, and fervent Ginny love. A nice twist on the Ginny part, though.

4. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    really good so far, I've read it all and I really enjoy both the pairing and just the feeling of the story.

5/5

5. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Definitely a good fic. Not the best but definitely good. The pairing is different and the fic flows good from one scene to another.

4/5

6. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

Anyone else kinda hoping that he doesn't go in depth into the sex scene? I don't know about you, but when I think Harry Potter/Minerva McGonagall, no matter how many times I repeat 'she's 16, damnit!', I can't help but have the image of the...well, old lady. And, ah, that doesn't do it for me, no thanks.

7. TripticWriter

TripticWriter Groundskeeper

A nice read, even if Harry is a little bit emo.

The only problem in this story is how the physical transformation of Harry is not explained.

8. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Dude shut the hell up damnit, aww the images. DO NOT EVEN THINK IT!!!! SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE HEAD.!!!!! aww god. Thats wrong

Only problem I see with this fic aside from someone thinking that which should not be thought!!!! is that the author has so many other fics that it would take a while to get updates and cant devote the attention to one or two fics.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  9. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

Good idea, but I can't stop thinking how off this Harry is. A muggle-born raised in the 90's against pureblood propaganda and the first thing he does in class is to spout off against McGonagall regarding respect?

10. Dasha

Dasha Second Year DLP Supporter

Nice, I even added it to my favorites. But I don't think this deserve five stars either. The first: It's too romance centric for my taste (even for romance), I thought it was weird that Harry didn't pay any attention to Voldemort or didn't plan a bit of his actions. The second: too much OCCs, different Harry, weird Minerva (She is very different from that I imagined her to be) and sometimes it seemed too non-Harry Potterish to me. The third: I believe "reducto" was a shrinking charm there and I think that is not true, not to mention Harry was for some reason teaching charms in DADA, it's rather annoying.

11. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

This story was. . . Interesting.

I can't give it five stars though.

4.5/5

12. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

might be wrong but reducto was the spell Harry used in the GoF to blast through the hedges its a small blasting spell.

13. The Dark Lord Squash

The Dark Lord Squash Denarii Host

Reducto be the blasting curse, so it fits for DADA. I liked it. At first the whole age thing seemed a little weird but I grew to like it at the end of the current chapters. The Whole change thing confused me though, why did his whole appearance change? I mean is there a reason that he now has blue eyes and blond hair? From what I can see it was a idea that the writer just threw in and forgot about, meh.... I still liked it.

4.5 buckets of Squash out of 5

14. Dasha

I know that reducto is blasting curse, but the author of this story doesn't:
    In this story it was clearly used wrongly. I don't like it when people do it to spells, names and other such stuff. This is that I was trying to say.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  15. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

AHHHH okay your forgiven. That brings it down a notch in my book but just a small notch.

16. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Or is it perhaps that he reduced it to debries which was the size of a matchbox. Or the author confused it with another charm.

17. The Dark Lord Squash

The Dark Lord Squash Denarii Host

I thought that the matchbox comment was about what little was left, but I see where you are coming from so.... yeah .

18. Dasha

No it's not. Those are next lines:

And even if author confused the spell, it's a charm and not supposed to be taught in DADA. Now I feel stupid for digging through the story three times for such idiotic reason.

19. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    As far as I know, Reducto is a curse which has been used to blast hedges, tables and shelves. Reducio is a charm, the opposite of the Engorgio, which reduces the size of an object.

As for this story, I'm only somewhat convinced it belongs in the library. The actual thought of a McGonagall/Potter pairing got me salivating, but it seems so rushed and poorly written that I'd put it in the Trash Bin.

McGonagall is completely OOC, although, the author has given decent reasons for why... it's still lame as fuck that he would make it seem that she is the ultimate prankster. Also, she's already a cat animagus, can stop one of Harry Potter's stunners with a shield she just learned (the man killed Voldemort for christ sakes) and apparently has stolen Harry's heart in a few days.

Fuck that.

New characters like Marie Carey are just annoying, and Dippet is portrayed as a fucking newbie.

Not to mention Harry kills a basilisk with three spells and then explains it off as something like "Yeah, it was Basilisk. I killed it. Don't worry about it. I'm going to check on my sixteen year old whore."

To make a long story short, this fic is a nice thought, it just doesn't reward it's readers.

3/5 for me.

20. rj_stone2

rj_stone2 Seventh Year

This fic appears to have no point beyond the Harry/McGonagall romance, and is basically a Minerva Sue story. I couldn't keep going past three and a half chapters.