1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Petition for a Slash Filter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ragon, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

The problem I have with slash is not so much slash itself as the huge proportion of that slash that is either Harry/Snape or Harry/Draco. I don't even like pairing centered fics, but even fics with other slash pairings that weren't centered on the romance I'd be okay with--as long as the relationship wasn't assumed as a given, which I can't stand; if you're gonna deviate from canon, explain how it happens--but Draco and Snape are horrible people that should never be allowed to have sex with anyone, much less Harry.

2. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Did you ever read femslash for an actual story plot or just for the amusement of Luna/Hermione carpet secks? I don't read enough of it to complain if they were to place femslash along with slash in its own seperate folder. It wouldn't be that overly difficult to change it if they so-called mods would ever do something around the site. Who really gives a shit if it says 'a Harry Potter fanfic' at the end? :wall:

3. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Problem with comparing slash and femslash is that the ratio of slash compared to femslash is very lopsided. I think that Slash far exceeds femslash, which is why most people don't care about it as much as Slash. When I browse the Potter section at ff.net I see a majority of slash with the occasional femslash. Femslash isn't as much "in your face" as slash is.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  4. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Once again my friend, there aren't any mods. There's just Xing, the owner of the site, who does everything around there. That is why response to feedback takes so long. There were mods in the distant past, but they're long gone now.

5. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Femslash is a very very very small portion of fics on ficwad. Most fics with femslash or more than likely shitty Harem fics.

6. Hadoren

Hadoren High Inquisitor

Sounds like you got a good story. Care to share the details on what happened?

7. Lorelei of the Sea

Lorelei of the Sea Unspeakable

They quit. Now the site is being "moderated" by Xing, and, presumably, new staffers. Read more about past moderators and the reasons they quit here: http://www.fanhistory.com/index.php?title=Fanfiction.net#Past_moderators. Just click on the former mod of your choice.

8. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I cringed when I looked at the results for the Harry Potter/Tom Riddle Jr. pairing. Gratefully, DobbyElfLord's Altered Destinies was at the top, then my own fic underneath that, but the rest of the page was cluttered with slash.

So, I was wondering how feasible everyone constantly emailing the FFNet staff to implement a slash filter is. If it has been done before by this site, I haven't seen the thread. It would hardly take any effort, and there's always the off chance that the FFNet staff actually listens, especially if the emails force them to actively search their inboxes for the real support requests.

9. Snarf

High Score:
    The staff at FFNet like slash themselves so it is going to be quite hard to get them up off their lazy asses to do anything productive for the 25% of the site that doesn't like slash, not that it isn't hard to get them to do anything productive in the first place.

10. madeyemoody

madeyemoody High Inquisitor

blah blah blah... this has been done to death on this site a hundred times, I suggest you abandon this fruitless plea because it will fall on deaf ears once it reaches the:nazi who are themselves slash fans and have a deep fear of descriminating homosexuals

it's a nice thought but altogether fail

madeyemoody

11. Kyp's Avenger

Kyp's Avenger Fourth Year

Actually, I can see them going for this. A lot of sites include this in their search function, like warnings for slash, femslash, het, and whatnot. A slash filter would allow people who like it to search for it specifically, just as people who hate it would be able to avoid it more easily.

12. Andro

Well, the previous efforts were misguided.

How about this: we pose as people that want slash fics, and complain about slash fics being too hard to find? If one way doesn't work, then try the other.

13. Snarf

High Score:
    Honestly, I think that is the first time I've heard someone think about it in that sense. It could actually work if we were to prompt them for that angle. Thing is, can anyone really say that slash is hard to find on FFNet?

14. Andro

Who cares? If the staff is that lazy then the readers can certainly be lazy as well and claim that slash is hard to find. Here's a template:

Hi Support,

Lately I've been slightly frustrated with the fairly numerous het fics intermixed with the fics with slash pairings. Is it possible that you guys implement a slash filter feature? It would make it even easier to find slash filters, and would have the added benefit of allowing people liking straight pairings to find fics of their own preferences more easily too, so there is no discrimination, and everyone is all-around happy.

There, fairly intelligently compiled and polite request, they could really fall for this.

15. Snarf

High Score:
    Try it out and in a day or two I'll say it myself. See if they'll do it for the slashers when they don't seem to want to do it for anyone else.

16. Andro

Sent, with a... personalized touch to it.

17. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Gio, deathinapinkboa, the time has come for you to show your dedication to DLP.

18. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

If this even gets off the ground, I think we can consider it a victory... A slash filter would be great. Would make finding brotherly-bond type fics and hero-villain bond fics much, much easier.

19. Andro

Maybe someone can send an email from the point of view of a normal DLP'er, in the hopes that it emphasizes that all parties will benefit this.

20. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

And then, all you'd have to do is go over the million older stories and determine whether they are slash or not...