1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Age of Deception by Takeda Lee - M

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by The-Hyphenated-One, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I don't know about this one. I had the vaguest feeling that the author was trying to parody emo!Harry. Harry is calm and collected, a far cry from the usual sobbing little shit a suicidal Harry usually is.

2. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

NegRepped.

Thanks for the negrep you mindless twat, I've read the fucking story. I know the reasons for it, but you still saw fit to negrep me for stating a preference. That preference being, I don't like reading stories with people cutting their wrists. It's just not for me, I don't butter my toast that way.

I really don't even care about rep, just the fact that you did it over a legitimate preference.

Since you love defending it so much, howabout you slit your wrists. Sounds like a fucking great plan to me, you cunt.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  3. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I agree with Jones! An Emo!Harry is a fricken pussy. If you're into that shit dude, then you're probably one too, sympathizing with the little whore. Go get your useless attention elsewhere please.

4. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A present for the emo's....

[​IMG]

5. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

lol Funny shit, dude, funny shit.

6. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

That's kind of mindless though. It's like posting that you don't like a pairing and that you're not going to read it in a thread for a fic with a pairing that you don't like. You're stating a preference. Was that supposed to be justification?

Better yet, a machine gun for the emos. Death by association. And emos associate with emos.

7. Calz

Calz Oh, I Got the Mic Now!

Well, apparently people are kinda missing the text, that it has been stated that all wasn't some "omg, I'm emo, I wound myself for fun" kind of thing. Voldemort can't find Harry. He can't even directly possess him. All he can do is affect him mentally and subtly.

It was Harry's guilt and sadness getting blasted up to unnatural proportions. The human mind harbors a lot of emotions within it, every possible emotion in bits and pieces, and if it was possible to take any of those emotions and heighten it, anything could happen. It'll happen several more times in the story with different emotions, be it anger, hate, or lust.

Just a bit shocked at how some things get hung up on, one event that is explained as having nothing to do with "emoness" in the actual text, and it seems like people aren't moving past it.

8. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Does it say anywhere in the summary, or in the first post. "Warning, wrist slashing, cutting, blah fucking blah" No? So where was the warning going into it? If there was a box of text saying "Wrist slashing within" Well then I wouldn't have clicked on it. But there wasn't.

So why didn't you read the thread Jones, then you would have known!

Because I always read the story before the thread, people give away cool shit all the time, shit that I'd rather read in the story than seeing "Snape kills Dumbledore" (Just an example) on a forum.

We get it.

Everybody has preferences.

For some people Slash is an instant fail, for some its H/G, for me it's wrist slashing, I just don't fucking dig it.

You cant expect everybody to like something, especially a topic like wrist slashing.

I get the reason behind it in the story, I understand that it's probably quite a good story from the other reviews, but the fact remains, It's got something I don't like.

Reviews are used to let the author know what you liked and didn't like about the story (Those would be regarded as opinions, and or preferences). I don't like SlashButtsecks, I don't like Ginny, and I don't like wrist cutting, Tis that simple.

Now I'm done with this hijack. And I apologize for it taking up as much room as it did.

9. Solomon

Solomon Heir

*Sigh* I guess I need to explain the actual reasoning behind the negrep, after reading your - very wrong - assumption. I negrepped you not for your fucking preference, Jones; I negrepped you because of this:

Jones, I understand that people have their preferences; I know I'm not exempt from that fact. The point I was trying to make - and you at least seem to understand - is that sometimes, certain things can be misunderstood, especially when it comes to wrist slashing. From your initial post (which implied that you read no farther than about halfway through the first chapter), you seemed to think that, just because Harry slashed his wrists, he was some suicidal bitch. Again, it seems that you've at least come to the conclusion that in the story, it was more Voldemort's doing than Harry's own.

Oh, and no, killing myself sounds like a rather bad idea. You see, unlike some people, I rather like living.

Anyways, now that I've explained myself...Back to the actual point of the topic: Discussing the story.

The chapter was good; there was nothing about it I particularly disliked. Keep up the good work, Caliburn; I look forward to more.

10. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

I struggled through the first few chapters and then dropped it at the 'Werewolves can break through the fidelius charm' shit. The only reason I got that far was because I was trying to find the good parts mentioned in some reviews.

2/5

Before anyone starts shouting 'necro!' this thread was on the first page and thestory was updated less than a month ago.... 27 08 07

11. Calz

It wasn't really "werewolves can break through fidelius" as much as it was, the charm itself simply has to have faults in it, just based on canon explanation of it. Its explained there, that all it is, is a layering of several different spells, the foundation of which is simply a very powerful repelling charm, a la Quidditch World Cup.

So if you physically can't prevent yourself from turning around and walking away, remembering you had something else to do, eventually you'd find yourself in the property through nothing less than brute force.

Just doesn't seem like the magic used to set it up would cover for such "muggle" alternatives to bypassing it. If they did, why not simply use Fidelius on everything and anything? Sure, give out the secret to everyone you know, but at the very least, it would make it so no muggle could stumble upon magical secrets. In of itself, in theory, it would work to eliminate a good portion of the necessity of the obliviators.

In truth, that part was less to show Fenrir as somehow all-powerful or something, and more along the lines of a kind of trend of steadily debunking all standard "truths" Harry has come to accept. Certain things aren't as "all-powerful" or "all-knowing" as he has always been led to believe.

Besides, the spell had to have a failsafe, otherwise, if the Secret Keeper died, would the property then be eternally lost? If so, how many lost spots of earth's surface do we have scattered around inaccessible, by that assumption?

But thanks for the feedback everyone :) It's gotten me working on the next chapter more intently, have been caught up on poking at the last chapter of Slytherin Queen out of boredom, and now I have a real mission to do something constructive.

12. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Fanon has made the spell seem simple enough to cast, but of all the order members, it seems that Dumbledore was the only one who could cast it. It's much too difficult to use on everything.

13. Calz

Granted, but even in that case, why not just Fidelius Hogwarts?
    Voldemort could never find it, give out the location to students and their family, and BAM, untouchable fortress.

The spell can't be as powerful as it's often made out to be, but if it is, then the Wizarding World is full of morons with no common sense.

I'd just prefer to think the spell is weaker, than think the people are dumber.

14. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

This is why we have fanfiction. To fix the oversights by authors and deepen the world they take us to.

This about sums up Harry Potter's plot. There is magic. Nobody has any common sense. The end.

15. Calz

Yep yep.

"Hey Harry, you can talk to snakes!"

>>Fast-Forward to end of book

>>There is a Giant Snake chasing Harry

Why doesn't he just pause, and say "Yo. Snake-dude. Stop trying to kill me. I can speak to you, must mean I'm awesome, right?"

Just a bunch of lacks of common sense, but meh. Nothing to do but sit back and laugh at the plot holes, while deciding whether to write anything to either mock them, or cover them.

16. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I like that explanation alot.

17. Calz

Decided to do a bit of shuffling around on the story plan, and going to show what was up with Snape in chapter 1, in this coming chapter. If there are any other questions people may have, please feel free to let me know. Chapter 6 is only at 7 pages, so I have a bit more to put in to keep a good word-count.

Trying to figure out which characters are important-ish, that can be brought in, to see where they are at the moment. Either way, hope to have this up by Wednesday, if not, then at the absolute latest, end of the week.

What I wouldn't give for a wall to bounce my ideas off of :(

18. Calz

New chapter up ^^

19. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Heh, excellent story. I almost dropped it at the "rist ///" though.

I do like your explanation of the F-charm, though I thought it was more of a hiding physical objects rather then repellant charms. I might be wrong, but I just got that idea from the descriptions In OOTP of the other houses sliding out of the way, and Grimmauld growing in the center.

Anyway, excellent story, good luck with the next chapter, I'm looking forward to it, 5/5

20. [KS18]Raziel44

[KS18]Raziel44 Card Captored and buttsecksed

its good .. the writing is good kinda a slow but good and it has anti-ginny xD what more could you want 5/5