1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

I just stopped reading a fic for the most retarded reason ever

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by PlacatedTurtle, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Um, whoa. That is a hardcore Pikachu. Now we know why the forest is forbidden. I once stopped reading a fic when Harry got a letter at the Dursleys. It was too afraid that it was a letter from Gringotts.

2. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Link plox.

3. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Assuming you meant the Pikachu story, Here ya go. Slightly amusing.

Damn, it was the lake, not the Forbidden Forest.

4. Andro

... Who does own Pokemon?

5. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Nintendo does. But it was created by Satoshi Tajiri.

6. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I stop reading when the author goes into great detail about what the character is wearing. If it's important, a little information is okay, but if it's four paragraphs and counting, I hit the exit button pretty quickly.

7. Andro

That's another one. The only author who is an exception is Apocalypso-33. I didn't mind him detailing the Spartan wargear in his "Death, In Glory" (updated today btw). Everyone else has always overdone it.

8. Rated RKOver

Rated RKOver Second Year

I just thought of something else in fics that pisses me off and turn me off it really quick. In any fic where Ron and Hermione are married, if the author identifies Hermione as "Granger-Weasley," that just makes me want to slap someone. I'm not a huge Hermione fan, but I don't really think she'd honestly be feminist enough to give a shit about "keeping her own identity" but hyphenating her last name with Ron's. Hermione Weasley is probably fine to her, and should be for all authors too. God, that pisses me off.

9. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

I always know it's time to click that little red "X" at the top right hand corner of my screen whenever I see the following in the story that Im reading: Death Nibblers, Death Munchers, Dark Tosser, Dark Wanker and anything similar.

Edit: I've read the Pikachu fic. It was quite disappointing as Snape and Malfoy were not killed, merely shocked/whacked into unconsciousness.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  10. Andro

Just curious, in a draft of a chapter of To Define Treachery, I had Harry call Dumbledore "Dumblefuck". Would you guys quit reading once you saw that?

11. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

Strange stuff doesn't bother me, as long as it has something solid to back it up. So no, I wouldn't stop reading.

12. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Andro, why not just have him call Dumbledore a pathetic bastard, or a bloody git, or a shite bag, or just have him say "Yer Maw" (admittedly that last is rather more Scottish than British, but still it would be original).

13. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

Just what is the point when authors have Harry insult Dumbledore or Voldemort with these...nicknames? Do they actually think it would make Harry seem cooler or god forbid, more intimidating?

Do they actually believe Voldemort or Dumbledore will lose their cool and get all pissed off when a teenage boy starts showing off his immaturity? Because that is what Harry is doing, whether or not the author realises this.

No, Voldemort or Dumbledore won't get their feathers ruffled so easily. In fact, I'd think they would be inwardly laughing at Harry's immature behaviour.

To clarify matters, I guess I don't really mind it if Harry is cursing them with these insults in private or to himself, perhaps out of frustration. But I'd alt-F4 out of there if I see Harry insulting one of them in a confrontation, and voila, they lose their cool and composure.

Edit: Your story is one of the few exceptions, Andro, because it is rather well-written and your idea of a corporeal Tom Riddle mentoring eventual Dark!Harry is very original and interesting.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  14. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

There are also those "Harry has a twin" fics, those in which he's beaten by James and/or Lyly for no reason at all.

"Harry, you're gonna take a beating because you're not the boy who lived"

That usually pisses me off and forces my mouse to click on that little "x" on the browser.

15. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I hate it when people spell the names of characters wrong, like Lily being spelled Lyly. ;)

16. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

The second Voldemort does anything incredibly stupid, like not killing an obvious threat, or taking a hostage an not putting them somewhere safe I stop. I can't stand stupid!Voldemort. You know what, I really don't like it when Voldemort's death eaters are only with him because they fear him, or because they want to be on the "winning side". The man is supposed to be incredibly charismatic, reptilian body or not, he should keep those traits.

17. Lorelei of the Sea

Lorelei of the Sea Unspeakable

Lily spelled... Lyly? That's a whole new level of retardation right there. I get pissed of at Lilly, Lupine, Mooney, etc., but Lyly?

18. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    See the mysterious nobodies post.

19. Andro

My idea was to push the vulgarity of the whole nickname thing to the limit, more of a parody than anything serious. And Harry wouldn't say that to Dumbledore's face. He's too Slytherin to provoke him so rashly. But "yer maw" is unarguably original.

The "twins" plot line is pretty mired. Xxlostdreamzx's fic stuck with neglect, but everyone else takes it to extremes.

A lot of Fleur/Harry fics mispell Fleur Fluer. It's a five letter name! Then again, Lyly is four...

20. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

I stopped reading a fic today because of "the bond". I can't stand this cliche bullshit of having minds linked such that people have to stay within a certain distance of one another or they get ill, and of course, you have to have noble Harry absorbing the cruciatus for the girl.