1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat by Lady Kanko Wildstart - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by KeshinNoAkui, Jul 5, 2006.

1. KeshinNoAkui

KeshinNoAkui Seventh Year

Title: Abyssus Abyssum Invocat
    Author: Lady Kanko Wildstart
    Rating: Teen
    Genre: Romance/Parody
    Pairing: Harry/Luna
    Summary: Whoever said revenge is sweet, knew what he was talking about. Follow Harry Potter as he fights to gain control of his destiny, understands the meaning of manipulation, and on the way discovers heaven as well as hell..Chapter 22 uploaded!
    Link: Here

I found this bored one night and figured it was a serious story... Until I looked at the genre when I got to chapter 12ish. Then I noticed it was a Parody (which I figured initially) and I felt better after reading it. The hilarious thing is it's sorta written like Lets Do The Time Warp Again! in terms of cliches; there's Manip-Bad-Evil Dumbldore who gets a swift ass-kicking (verbally sadly) by Harry, betraying Weasleys (well, mainly Molly, Ginny, and Ronald), Founder-Heir! Harry, Super! Harry in just under 5 months, turning Snape into a good guy, the list goes on and on. Oh, and speaking of lists, Harry somehow (reasons aren't need in Super! Harry apparently) completes 100+ things, including: Freeing Sirius and killing Pettigrew (via suicide by hanging), Dumbledore thrown into Azkahban, preventing Riddles 4th year resuruction, and loads more.

Oh, did I neglect to mention theres time travel involved in this fic too?

I'll shup up now so you can go back to pointing your fingers at me and laughing and me and my rambles...

2. Stalicon

Stalicon High Inquisitor

*stops laughing* Hey its no fun If you know about it. *grumbles*

Anyway I think I'll give this a shot just one question, when does the time travel start? I don't want to have to skim through 70+ chapters before the good stuff.

Edit: Heh I thought the ladys name was 'Lady Wanko' at first. It sounded like he was doin the nasty with the owl for awhile to....

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  3. KeshinNoAkui

The time travel occurs about halfway through the first chapter, which originally posted as a one-shot, I believe.

And I'm going to tell my mommy that you laughed at me!

*Pouts and tells mommy*

4. Stalicon

Stalicon High Inquisitor

Heh I like that he doens't have Harry ripped within a few weaks of summer. Thats a plus really, make the bastard work for it! Anyway this seems a pretty good read so far, but someone really needs to do a parody about Harry and Hedwigs 'affections'.

Edit: Oh please don't tell me this is a forgive the Dursleys fic, even in parody thats hard to stoamch.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  5. KeshinNoAkui

Ummm, I think there's something similar to it on RS.org.

*Checks*

Yep, but it's more of a serious smut, and it doesn't involve cornholing the poor bird.

6. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

I'm having quite a bit of trouble getting past the usual bullshit cliche beginning, but hopefully it'll get better.

7. Olfrik

Olfrik Seventh Year

It seemed to me like a collection of cliches rather then a parody. There are some moments to chuckle about but nothing really funny. If it was written worse and didnt have the parody cat assigned I would have taken it for a very bad cliched serious story.
    Humor and Parody writing is an art in itself and here's what you get when it is done badly.

8. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Has anyone else read this and want to give an opinion? It has 1 star, so I was just wondering. Otherwise, it will be deleted probably.

9. uriel

uriel Seventh Year DLP Supporter

It's alright i suppose, not bad but probably not worth reading.
    Seems to be one of those stories where the author just makes fun of every cliché they can find, mastering occlumency in a month, having the 'perfect' body after doing push-ups for a couple weeks etc.

10. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

Its too cliche to start with. I could barely get through the first chapter and even cringed quite often at some of the scenes. The writing is poorly done and very rushed. The author seems like a love starved teen or a fan of B-rate romance movies because thats what the romance seems to be like.

I say remove it from here.

11. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

So I was searching through the Over and Over Again C2 group on ff.nazi and found this little gem. I figured that if I could get past the first chapter, then I could do the rest - perhaps the author started out weakly? Nope. I couldn't get past HEIR OF EVERY SINGLE FAMILY EEEVVVAAARRR. I logged onto DLP to see if the fic had been posted here or if I should put it in the WTFfics thread . . . but looks like it's been here a while. 1/5

12. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

What does "Aybssus Abyssum Invocat" mean, and how does that fit into the context of the story?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  13. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

Well, I don't know how it fits, as I was forced to stop reading it; but, `Abyssus Abyssum Invocat` means "Hell Calls Hell" or "The Abyss invokes the Abyss".

14. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

While I have not read this story, from the translation, it's probably just a latin rendition of Neitzsche's "When you look into the abyss, the abyss looks back into you," (Which means something along the lines of "Everyone is evil" I think).

15. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

Actually I think the line means that everyone can be corrupted given time. And that the more you do something the more it gains control over you.

16. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

I'd like to think it means the ones most vulnerable to corruption are actually the ones actively seeking to fight it because "when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you", or in other words the more your exposure to corruption or the greater your desire to fight it, the greater the influence it has over you and the more it occupies and controls your thoughts. But this is just my interpretation though.

The phrase would in fact be an explanation to the first part of the quote, which goes along the line of "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster." Which is quite plainly a warning that one should take care not to become what he seeks to fight.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  17. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

While you and Niffer show a greater understanding of Neitzshe's meaning on this, than I, I don't think this is entirely it.

When I heard the phrase, "God is dead, and we have killed him." I really thought it over, and with the rise of secularism in the world, I really drew a lot from this quote. I can't recall my exact thoughts, but I went off on a long tangent because of it.

A while ago the quote came to me again and I sought to find where it was written. So, I googled the text and read it, and found that the actual quote is "God is dead... and we have killed him," (there's a lot of stuff inbetween). My interpretation was changed because Nietzsche had a totally different point than I had concluded.

While the surface meaning of both quotes "don't become the monster and" "staring into the abyss" are probably correct (Just as my interpretation of "god is dead" was mostly right), there is probably more to this than what the out-of-context (but memorable) line means.

Neitzsche was ruled by an intense dislike/hate of Christianity, so I'm sure he was thinking of the Catholic church when he wrote these things (the Church fought sinners, and so it became a sinner itself).

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007