1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Hellgate London Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Midknight, Oct 7, 2007.

1. X-Man

X-Man Second Year

This game is offically the shit, and I haven't even begun online yet. 10 out of fucking 10. Collector's edition for the fucking win.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  2. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

I'm not sure I understand this game... is it a stand alone RPG? An MMORPG? It seems to be online, but also seems to be a lot like most RPG stand alones. Which is it?

3. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

Maybe it is like Neverwinter Nights? As far as online gaming goes?

4. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Good game so far, a little slow starting up I felt but has deffinitley picked up.

Does anyone know if there is any reason to hold on to rare items that your class can't use, not sure if Hellgate has an auction house or something along those lines.

5. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It's basically a 3d Diablo. Check the thread
    http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=7381

It's not a MMORGP, it's simply a game where you can play online on their servers, like battlenet, and your characters are stored there, and you can play with others. It's not epically fail like EQ/WoW/etc.

It's called an action RPG, but it's more of a mix of RPG and FPS.

And no, NWN would be the oppisite end of the spectrum.

6. Midknight

Guys play online. You get the same things as offline, but you can play with others.

You can't transfer stuff between characters in SP, you can't get help from others in SP, you can't transfer SP to MP.

There is no point in playing SP, save for if you don't have an internet connection.

And yeah CE is the win, it sucks balls European people can barely get it, almost all copies were reserved for North American players due to earlier release dates. Shipping over there is naaaasty.

This one German dude wants my spare CE, but shipping is 80 fucking dollars

7. LogrusMage

So as you progress in the RPG part, you can take your character and weapons online for Co-op and/or fps action? I really never played Diablo, just before my generation of gaming. I'll read some literature and see what I can pick up. The vids looked amazing.

8. Midknight

No, you can't take anything from the SP online, period. The multiplayer is exactly the same as the SP version, only the more people you have in the area, the more monsters. You form a party and you open a portal to yourself, and you're in your own private instance/location to hunt/quest

There is no reason to ever play single player, ever, unless you like being alone or don't have internet. It's free to play with 3 character slots, unless you pay 10$ a month, then you get content updates and 24 character slots.

9. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Hm...Interesting. So, it really is like Diablo 2, except newer and in 3D? How's the gameplay style in comparison? Same old point-click interface, or is it more interesting?

10. LogrusMage

So it's like an MMORPG with only the fun stuff and none of the boring wandering around crap? And a real plot?

Nice.

11. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Hm...Well, that does sound somewhat similar to Diablo 2, actually. Even if it isn't, I could probably pick up the controls pretty quickly.

Even if the controls were weird as hell, I'd probably pick it up anyways. It looks fun.

12. Drake

Drake Seventh Year

Now does anyone know if it's worth it to pay the $10 for 21 extra character slots and content updates? Because that's one of the things I want to know before even thinking of buying the game.

13. Midknight

Regardless it's still free to play online, you just won't get constant updated stuff.

10/month isn't a big deal at all. I"ll pay it for a few months, if it's not worth it I"ll hop back to 3 characters.

And for those not in the know, Flagship Studios, who made this game, MADE Diablo 1/2/Warcraft/Starcraft. They left Blizzard to form their own company for various reasons.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  14. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Yeah, I know; that's why I was asking how similar it was to Diablo. You've got some experience playing the game, or at least the beta; figured I may as well ask. I've only seen a couple gameplay vids; going on word of mouth for the most part.

That said, how's the skill tree? Pretty big, or diverse? Or...Rather limited?

15. Midknight

See for yourself =)

http://hellgate.ingame.de/skilltree/guardian/

I'm about to add a bunch of pics

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Midknight00711/Hellgate/Zombiebumrush.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Midknight00711/Hellgate/massacreatmuseum.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Midknight00711/Hellgate/newtoy.jpg

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  16. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Hahah, I'm seeing some definite Diablo techniques on those lists. It's nice to know that not everyone will be a single class, though. In Diablo II, just about everyone was a Paladin, because techniques like Smite (Shield Bash), Zeal (The attack speed increase one, can't think of the name offhand), among other things were all on his tree; it's nice to see Smite split off.

Yeah, I'm probably going to pick this game up on Sunday afternoon (or morning, it kind of depends on when I manage to get my lazy ass out of bed).

17. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

For those of you currently play I've got a question about what you do when you get a rare item that can't use. Do you dismantle, save, or sell it and why. I've been dismantling it but I don't know if that is a bad idea idea or not.

One more question is does anyone know why you can't Augment some weapons? I'm thinking that it might be that you can't Augment legendary ones but thats just a guess and wanted to know if anyone had a more solid answer.

Thanks

18. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I decided to buy the game a bit earlier than expected, and I'm glad I did. My local Gamestop just so happened to have a Collector's Edition in stock; only one, though.

19. Midknight

You can't augment some b/c they have full augmentation slots.

I break down anything I can't use, as the salvaged parts let you upgrade your own stuff. Don't upgrade anything that isn't a legendary weapon with bad ass base stats.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Midknight00711/Hellgate/newtoy.jpg

This sword started off like 50 damage. Nothing great, but bad ass stats. The fire nova 5% proc goes off nonstop as much as I swing, and it wipes out hordes of enemys. Think Fire Nova from Diablo 1.

It's now up to 119, ignites enemies seemingly every 5th swing (Ignite is a status effect that takes off 5% of an enemys max health from his health.. every second.. it's fucking evvvviiiilllllll)

And let me asap if you get like 3+ bits of zombie blood, I can trade you the zombot organs and blueprints needed to make the zombot, but it's only avilable until tomorrow, and I Need more blood.

20. Kenshkrix

Kenshkrix DA Member DLP Supporter

I have 2 completed Zombots and nearly enough to create a third one, I keep finding them everywhere.
    As for Hellgate itself, I think it's awesome. I'm playing an Engineer and I've found it very fun. The only problem is equipping my Drone, but I got around that by having it use its awesome weapon, then switching it with a crappy weapon I find on the ground before I leave the area so it only disintegrates the crappy one, hopefully they fix that soon.
    On the other hand, I seem to be finding every glitch they have that crashes the game, I've crashed about 5 times, only 2 of which was the same glitch.