1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Horcruxes - A Soul Mate Bond?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Banner, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

I just realised - if Harry never actually had the ability to speak Parseltongue (just had a junk program installed, as it were,) then the ability has just died out of the human race. JKR stated that when the Horcrux in Harry's scar was destroyed, he lost the ability to speak Parseltongue. (When I envisioned post-War Harry, I always expected all his children to be parselmouths.)

When parts of Riddle's soul ended up in living creatures (Harry and Nagini,) the recipient gained new abilities. Nagini was huge, smart, and could share her Master's thoughts. Harry got Parsel as a splash effect of the horcrux creation spell, twisted by the catastrophic failure of the AK. He and Voldemort could share thoughts in a limited fashion.

I wonder if two people could actually exchange soul fragments. Gives a whole new twist to the concept of soul mates, doesn't it? If identical twins, or a pair of lovers, consented to be each other's horcrux, could they adopt the new fragment as part of the host? Could it be beneficial?

Assume:
    1 that it takes a murder to make a soul fragment, although if two people commit the murder, both their souls can be damaged.
    2 that there is a ritual necessary to completely separate the fragment, and then remove it from the body.
    3 the reason that Riddle never tried to put a soul in a souled creature was that the host soul would have a chance to resist
    4 that consent and trust could make the process much less dangerous

Soul magic is Dark, by my standards. "Violent Death" magic is Black magic. But if two Dark wizards shared a twin bond (or a pair of stupid, violent adolescents were in deep lust,) were willing to do this, couldn't it profit them?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You're making big assumptions here. The ability was first shown by Herpo the Fowl, an ancient Greek wizard, so presumably the Slytherin family is just one branch of his descendants. So the other branches of his family most likely have the ability as well, wherever in the world they may be.

As for this:

No. Just No.

I propose all who have read this thread be Obliviated immediately and all evidence that the thread ever existed be destroyed. News of a realistic soul-bond must not be allowed to become public knowledge. Who knows what evils could come of it.

Also, none of those 4 assumptions are supported by canon.

3. MysterioX

MysterioX Professor

I heartily agree with Taure about the immediate Obliviation of this thread and all those that read it. In addition, suggest Banner be punished for daring to post such blasphemous ideas.

Imagine what the fan girls/boys will do with such a crazy idea.
    On second thought, don't imagine.

4. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Ooh! A spanking! A spanking!

5. MysterioX

MysterioX Professor

Sure. But before we get started, How old are you?

6. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Older than you, pre-adolescent child.

By the way, although everyone appears to be appalled by my idea, I notice that no one is actually saying that they think it wouldn't work.

7. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

*shakes head mournfully* Banner opened Pandora's box..

8. MysterioX

MysterioX Professor

I doubt that, in the real world I’m 21.

9. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

How about this:
    A gentleman doesn't ask, and a lady never tells. I'm far from being a lady, but I'm all legal.

10. MysterioX

MysterioX Professor

Now I’m worried. You could be a very old fat woman.
    Just to be safe, let some other member administer the punishment.

11. Darje

Darje Groundskeeper

While something like this may work it seems like only an extremely fluffy story where two people believe they are perfect for each other is where this belongs. It has no real application in DLP fiction.

:magic: <--- failed idea.

12. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Actually, it would be just the opposite. Dumbledore said that Horcruxes were (I can't remember the exact phrase) the darkest magic. Just because the casters trust each other doesn't make them nice, cheerful, or sane. I was thinking about two *evil* characters; in a break with tradition they work together. "We will rule the world!" is cliche - what would two Strong-Willed, ruthless, loyal-only-to-each other people do with a fair imitation of immortality?

Perhaps one or both has an obsession for a specific research problem, one that is slightly outside the accepted bounds of morality? What if the horcrux research is spinoff of attempts to bind human souls into eternal servitude? Or an attempt at godhood? What if the possession of a horcrux will eventually drive one into truly nasty mental problems?

Can you picture two Saurons, two Mengeles, a mated pair of Raistlins?

Fluffy? Well *I* don't think so...

13. The Doctor

The Doctor Unspeakable

Agreed.

Send it to mugglenet.com.:banana:

14. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

A fun idea, I'd consider a one-shot, but nothing more. And of course it wouldn't be mushy. Harry needs an heir/plant so he coerces/convinces a girl into murdering someone with him.

This would actually make an interesting "bad guy" too. Two lovers perform a ritual and are corrupted by it, instead of exchanging souls, they go mad instead.

15. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

What if these two cold, intelligent twins actually Plan Out their route to their goal, whatever it might be.

The first thing they do is fake their deaths, or the death of one of them. The "survivor" goes into seclusion, researching, watching, accumulating money (providing an alibi when needed.) The story opens up a century or more later. No one remembers the twins tragically lost at sea, and when they start to make their move, only one is ever seen at a time.

The Dauntless Hero and His Plucky Sidekick can't ever pin any real evil deeds to this man who they KNOW is the cause of the violence. He's always seen somewhere else at the crucial time. The two horcrux ... (horcruxists?) move freely out of each other's minds - at this point, they think of themselves as one person.

The soul exchange isn't the point of the story, just the route our bad guys took to get evil.

16. The Doctor

The Doctor Unspeakable

It still involves doing the incredibly stupid act of splitting your soul up.

17. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, if Voldemort is anything to go by, splitting your soul appears to have the large side effect of chronic stupidity.

18. MegaDeath268

MegaDeath268 Squib

I'm disagreeing with you. Its not "rude" to ask a woman's age. Thats total bullshit. If thats rude, then women shouldn't be able to ask mens ages either! Women who say that kinda crap aren't "ladies"...just self-conscious women who think they're either control freaks or think they're old.

Onto topic...I have to agree, don't let it get out, I'm not into it either.

19. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Umm... Riddle wasn't stupid 'til At Least after both the Diary and Ring horcruxes were made. Remember, he was still Head Boy, top student, staff favorite, and had his best (most powerful and influential) years to come.

20. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Actually, I find this idea extremely appropriate to Only Enemies...

And, while your soul might be split, at the end of the day both parties have a grand total of one soul. It might not all be the same soul, but still.

Richardc/megadeath/whatever the fuck you go by these days, could you do us all a favour and not go off on tangential rants about comments that weren't even addressed to you?