1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Horcruxes - A Soul Mate Bond?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Banner, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

I haven't read DH for quite a while, but I'm pretty sure that Locket!Riddle was at least somewhat intelligent. He managed to perform Legilimency against Ron, and to use his jealousy against him.

2. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

I don't remember most of DH, so I might well have simply lost that information. I'll take your word for it. That *might* have been because Voldemort was re-embodied, and actively trying to use it. Or maybe because Ron's jealousy is SOO easy to use.

If the Locket had a mind, then there were (conceivably) up to SEVEN possible Tom Riddles just waiting to be reborn. All at once. Traditionally, multiple copies of a single person hate each other and will attack implacably until only one is left. Tom Riddle never seemed to change much over time, until he was disembodied in '81, so they might have ended up all working together.

SCARY. (I can't find the Smiley for hysterical terror.)

3. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I'm getting visions of Harry making a horcrux and then forcing someone to get drained by it, like the Riddle diary, thus creating a second Harry Potter.

If seven is an actual upper limit on how many you can have, that's a potential eight Harry's working together to fight Voldemort.
    And, consequently, a potential eight Hermiones or whoever. :D All it would take is, oh, seven murders (per person) to create the horcuxes and another seven people (per person) drained of life in order to activate each one.

4. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Eight Harrys, eight Hermiones, sounds like the ultimate powerful team. Rather like the Justice League (I think it's the JL; the one with Batman, Superman, and Wonder woman.) Add Luna 'cause dark!Luna would be so fun, and Neville, 'cause JKR never really used the Other Prophecy child.

Hey, with Dumbledore dead and unable to pressure people into capture-and-imprison as opposed to pull-them-out-of-the-gene-pool, we have LOTS of spare DE's just lying around. If you want to be (significantly) less evil, maybe someone who has been Kissed would be a viable sacrifice.

Since we're postulating a *human* sacrifice, do you need to somehow tie your soul to the soul of the sacrifice and warp it from its destination, or do you just need the power released by killing someone?

Oh, right, the thread is about *exchanging* horcruxes. Hmmm.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  5. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Well, for the initial creation of the horcrux, the murder isn't really part of any ritual or anything. It's simply a method of damaging your soul. That way you can split that damaged fragment off and bind it to the item that will become the horcrux. The victim's soul never really enters into the equation (though I suppose you could get a two-for-one bonus by using their soul in another ritual AND because you murdered them, your soul is damaged enough to split into a horcrux).

There may be acts other than murder that can damage a soul in a comparable manner that one could do instead; like clubbing a family of baby harp seals, watching a Uwe Boll movie or writing veela!Draco fics.

As for what the diary horcrux was doing to Ginny, in order for the teenage Riddle soul fragment to regain a body... it was draining energy of some sort from her. Whether that energy was from her soul, her magic or simply her 'life force', to use a generic term, I don't know.

In that case; if Harry, for example, can make a horcrux which then drains someone's life in order to gain a new body, presumably while the original Harry is still alive and kicking, can that horcrux!Harry then make its own horcrux?

It's only a fragment of a soul itself, can it split itself again to make a new one? If so, is that only because the original Harry hasn't split his soul seven times yet? (Or maybe when it drains the life from its victim, it is draining their soul as well, and generating not only a body but a sort of cobbled together 'whole' soul as well.)

6. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Actually, I hate to be a dick about this, but the Soul Fragment not having a personality thing is blatantly false as proved by Deathly Hollows. The Locket has not only the ability to use magic as complex as Legilimency, it also has enough of a personality to know exactly how to use it against people.

The Diary, contrary to your belief, was not created solely for the purpose of possession, and it, as well, had a personality. If I have my time line correct, it was the first he created, and thus was little more than an experiment.

It worked like a parasite, draining away Ginny's life to fuel the creation of Riddle's body or solidification of his soul into a body, depending on how you look at it.

Why you think it should have changed Ginny in any form is beyond me. The only way it should have changed her was make her smart enough not to fuck with shit she didnt know what the hell it was and where it came from. It obviously didnt do that either.

But this theory of it having his Memories and goals implanted with the soul, is nonsense.

7. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

The Diary was interactive on a grand scale. It lied to Ginny, it dodged questions. It seemed to be fairly indestructable. It learned of current events from her, and it made plans based on that information. She tried to get rid of it once, but ended up needing it like a drug.
    I've always thought of the Locket as more like Sauron's Ring - malevolent and corrupting, but not imaginative. It whispered of power and glory, but even after being worn by hobbits for decades, it couldn't change its temptations into something that would influence them better. Hobbits just aren't into adulation or into leading armies.

I've been assuming that it was draining her throughout the entire school year, and probably using her in rituals and to make potions that would strengthen Riddle. If it's an actual intelligence, then surely it was doing more than killing roosters and randomly summoning the Basilisk.

If it's overriding her consciousness and controlling her, it seems MORE reasonable that it's doing permanent damage than that she'd recover fully, with no long-term effects.

What would have happened to Ginny's soul, if Riddle's rebirth had gone to its logical conclusion? Would she have simply died, and have her soul go to its reward, or would her soul be enslaved (or subsumed) as part of the new Riddle?

**** HA! I figured it out! The reason we all hate Ginny is that we can FEEL that he corrupted her into being his soul mate during the Possession. We thought we hated her for a lack of personality development, while all along Riddle was keeping her character submerged, in order to avoid attracting attention. ****

8. Drake

Drake Seventh Year

You could use this idea with the Weasley twins, and remain canon compliant. After all, who's to say the twins didn't perform the ritual before Fred was killed during the battle at Hogwarts. Everyone would then think Fred is dead, leaving him plenty of room to get to work on their schemes (Whatever they may be).

9. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

:devil: * evil grin *
    Every author here at DLP should write a story using THIS concept of "soul mates," then release them all over at mugglenet or SIYE. We could traumatize the hell out of the teeny H/G 'shippers.

What would happen if you made a horcrux out of someone who had been Kissed?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008