1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dancing with Myself by FFML Tim - T/R

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Manatheron, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

Title: Dancing with Myself
    Author: FFML Tim
    Rating: T-R
    Genre: Action / Romance / Narcissism
    DLP Category: Time Travel / Alternates
    Pairing: Harry / Fem Harry
    Summary:
    Harry Potter has Issues. That went without saying, of course, but when he finds himself in another world facing someone he has a lot in common with... maybe he will find a way to make peace with himself.

Link: Another SilverAegis Re-write for perusal.

Comments:
    I know several of our members have taken up SilverAegis' work, and this is another rendition of how it could have gone. It makes some Interesting DH references while completely ignoring the Book ruining Epilogue that Rowling put in. Sadly It's only three chapters along, but on the plus side the author is avoiding a great many of the mistakes that even our own dearly beloved members seem to fall into.

To early for a definite rating, but a tentative 4 as it is.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  2. Calis Clayr

Calis Clayr Seventh Year

One of the smallest countries in the world
    I read this one a while ago, I thought it was pretty good. Fem!Harry's character is more interesting than usual, compared to other fics I've read (not counting Amerision's fic).
    The only thing I don't like (though it's nothing vital) is the name. I prefer 'Rose' or even 'Lily' to 'Harriet'. But like I said, it's no big deal.

4/5

3. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

I think I've read this one before, the title seems familiar....

/me goes to read

4. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

[​IMG]
    ;)

or

[​IMG]

5. Lincos

Oh... I remember now. I got upto;

I saw Harriet and thought, fuck that, and X'ed it.... sort of like I just did then.

6. D.S.

D.S. First Year

The land of the homicidal ducks, New York.
    Me too. As soon as I saw the name, I automatically left. I probably did that the first time around as well. But seriously, if you're going to do something like this in a story, at least give the girl an original name and not one that has any ties to other characters (like Lily Potter and Rose or whatever or Harry/Harriet/Henrieta/etc, etc). And yes, I have seen a female!Harry with the name Henrienta. It scared me a tad.

7. Lincos

Well having the middle name Lily isn't to bad since Harry does have 'James' but yeah For a first name think of something original please.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  8. Calis Clayr

Calis Clayr Seventh Year

One of the smallest countries in the world
    Well, Harriers are nice... better than roses, certainly. But as a name...
    Actually no, I prefer Harrier. At least it would refer to something cool. it beats Harriet, anyway ;)

9. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

Oh, I had a similar experience. People called her "Harry" (short for Harriet) and I found it so stupid (and confusing) that I stopped reading at once.

10. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

Dare I ask which fic that was in?

Edit: And yes, I know the name is cliche' as hell, but I challenge any of you to find a fic worth reading where Fem!harry isn't either Harriet, Rose, or Lilly. :p

Untill you can do that you'll either need to avoid fem harry fics, or press on and hope they don't bring the name up often.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  11. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Just copy and paste it on Word, and then search and replace Harriet with a name of your choosing.

12. Link

Good idea. Actually, there's an extension for firefox who can remplace some text directly in the html code.

I used it once to change the mispelled name of McGonagall (it was something like MacGonoll).

I'll have to find it again.

13. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I have to say though, if the whole point is that female!Harry is a parallel version of male!Harry, then logically her name should either sound like his or use the family naming conventions. Therefor it should sound like Harry or James or it should be a flower name like Lily and Petunia or a variation like Lilith.

Yeah, it gets repetitive with all the variations on femme!Harry out there, but for every instance where it's an unoriginal author rearing its ugly (and empty) head, there's another one where it's due to simple logic and it's hard to fault that.

I've been there and done that, definitely. It's easy enough to do a find/replace on a name. I'll also do it if an author repeatedly makes the same spelling/grammatical error.

Oops: find 'of cause', replace with 'of course'

Doh: find 'defiantly', replace with 'definitely' (You almost can't lose here, folks. For every error this one creates, it fixes at least five.)

Yes you will have to find that because it sounds friggin' brilliant.

EDIT: And in other news, 300th post!

14. Vegemeister

Vegemeister Seventh Year

Hmm...

Harry's mental age: 25
    Harriet physically appears to be: 12

The Verdict?

[​IMG]

15. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

:p

Love you too baby, you'll notice that harry himself brings that point up however.

16. Link

Technically, banging your younger female self isn't truly pedophilia. It's just like masturbation except you don't do it on yourself, but on your younger self. The difference is just 3 letters.

Beside as he's 17, if he does it to himself it's consensual (well, he agrees with himself after all) so legally it's accepted.

Anyway, I've finished reading it, and while it's not the best rewrite of SilverAegis story, it's not the worst one and it may be interesting, though I'll wait for more before rating.

17. Methene

Methene Auror

In terms of age-wise, Harry/Harriet would be similar to Harry/Fleur. My morals don't have a problem with Fleur giving Harry the time of day. The story is interesting, but I'd rather read more before I give an official rating.

18. Vegemeister

Vegemeister Seventh Year

Legal, shmegal! I'll go with Henry David Thoreau on this one:
    (I probably butchered that horribly, but it's close enough.)

In this case, however, Harry has both his conscience and the law on his side.

On another note:

While he’d initially feared that his somewhat abusive drill instructor persona would turn her off, he was surprised and a little disturbed that it seemed to have the opposite effect. For whatever reason, Harriet seemed even more attracted to him when he was his harshest to her. He’d always heard about girls from abusive environments that turned out like that, especially in the Muggle world, but he would never have believed it of a version of himself. What was even more disturbing to him is that he liked the dominant role that she seemed to be encouraging him to assume. He would never hit her outside of training, of course, but so long as she was okay with it, he didn’t feel an overwhelming urge to make everything a joint decision. She liked to be controlled, and he certainly liked the feeling he got from playing the part.

Yay for BSDM!Harry!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  19. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

Hey, It's not his fault that it hurts so good ;)

Edit: Sorry, some of your comments are triggering the odder half of my sense of humor... :p

20. Dungbomb

Dungbomb First Year

I'm still waiting for someone to name fem harry Lilly Potter Jr. Just for the hell of it