1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Who needs magic?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by scionofkyuubi, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh, screw it. Who cares about post count anyway.

See my bit on laws of motion not effecting magic. If you can stop an object going at 5mph, you can stop an object going at 1000 mph. Both are equally impossible according to physics, so if you make one possible, you make both possible.

I always read it as a scream at being buried. After all, it happens exactly after Griphook is buried completely.

Why is this?

To cast a non-verbal spell you need only think of the word. The pull a trigger you need to think that you want to pull the trigger, and then this command has to be carried all the way down your arm to your finger, and then your finger takes a small amount of time to make the actual movement. Thinking the word is much quicker.

It worked pretty well on Harry's glasses in PoA. And though it was cast too late, in DH also. The charm, like much magic, seems to be able to read into the caster's intentions.

The appearance of a high horse may be created by my amazing super-human intellect, but it is not intentional. I can't help it if I'm right and everyone else is wrong. :p

Your quote function has messed up. The "that's what Voldemort did in the Graveyard" bit is in reference to magic recombining soul and body, and the bit about reattaching limbs is from the quote in DH where they say they could normally reattach a limb but couldn't because it was severed using Dark magic.

Not conjecture. Logical reasoning.

1. Magic can repel an object traveling at 5mph, or similar low speeds. See rain in PoA, Dumgbombs in OotP.

2. Repelling an object in this way, "as if by magic", defies the laws of Physics.

3. Magic can defy the laws of Physics.

3a. This spell defies the laws of physics.

4. One law of physics is the idea that an equal and opposite force is needed to stop an object, and that an even greater force is needed to repel it.

5. This spell defies the laws of physics (3a).

6. This spell defies the idea that equal and opposite forces are needed to stop an object.

7. This spell can repel projectiles of any velocity.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  2. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

You gave in quickly

3. scionofkyuubi

scionofkyuubi First Year

Probably due to my glee on IRC.

Fucked that.

Ah well. More intelligence = win.

Taure: I shot your horse.

4. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ok, can I just ask something here? How is a 10 year old boy going to be "a member of high standing" in a street gang. Now, I've never been part of such a gang, but to my knowledge high standing is either gained through physical force or the ability to out drink others (depends on the type of gang obviously). A 10 year olds body is not in any realm developed enough to beat a teenager or adult in a physical fight. It is literally not possible unless there are other factors involved. A 10 year olds body cannot hold the same quantity of alcohol as a teenagers or adults. Its just not possible.

So please...tell me.

5. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Quite right and good for you. Some of the newbies have nothing but necro posts to their names. It's not how many posts you have, but what you've done with them. :)

Of course, my third post was an accidental necro. What is it about third posts?

Well thought out conjecture is still conjecture. In your own story, that's super, reality is what you make it. You can't, however apply it to canon across the board.

Because, presumably, you need something to cast it on. It's not a shield charm that appears from thin air.

Yes, but what happened to the wand movements? Not saying Wingardium Leviosa saves you eight syllables but you still need to swish and flick. That's slower than pulling a trigger.

Harry still uses wand movements to cast a nonverbal Levicorpus.

That was the Impervius Charm, not the Imperturbable Charm.

Not really. It removes the previously quoted text and leaves empty space behind. I simply wasn't paying enough attention and took it for one statement. Oops!

Have you tried hollowing one out?

6. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Though it can't be proven, many theorise that Impervius is the incantation to the Imperturbable charm. They certainly share many similar traits (i.e. they're identical).

Most spells in canon seem to lack any kind of wand movement.

Yourself?

If the argument is valid, and it starts out from true premises, then the conclusion is true.

7. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

I think wand movement and, to an extent, words become irrelevant when you reach a certain level of training and mind discipline. In PS, Harry flicked his wand for the first time and shot sparks; In OotP, Dumbledore just flicked his wand and shot raw magic.

Even at that, a gun will most likely be faster to operate than a wand IMO.

8. Mordecai

High Score:
    Hollowing out one what? 10 year old? Not personally no. Have you?

I base my comments on the fact that at 10 you are by far smaller in body, muscle mass, general body mass etc than you are at 16. Have you ever seen a 10 year old out drink someone significantly older?

9. Skeletaure

High Score:
    I suppose that if you had a 10 year old who had been drinking heavily for 5 years, he'd be able to out-drink a 16 year old who was drinking for the first time.

Or if the 10 year old was really fat and the 16 year old really thin.

10. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Perhaps he's thinking of the movie "City of God" ?

11. Mordecai

High Score:
    Never seen it, so I've no idea what that would mean.

Taure, you have a point on the obese 10 year old, anorexic 16 year old front. However, would a child survive in any decent health if they were drinking hard liquor from the age of 5. Would the liver be able to cope?

12. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I touched on that right before I mentioned that horse of yours.

Right there.

About fictional magic? Whose properties have not been quantified by the author? If JKR wants to explain the limits (or lack thereof) of her magic, fine. Otherwise...

I just don't think we can draw such conclusions and state *boom* This Is Fact.

As for you and I, we'll simply have to agree to disagree.

Well, I'll agree to ignore you, that is... But, hey, it works out just as well, in regards to my reading fan fiction and enjoying it. :)

No, but there are some pretty chunky kids out there. Hollowed out, they could hold a considerable amount. Likewise, I've seen some very scrawny teens who wouldn't hold near as much.

And, yes, I'm just being obtuse.

Edit: Oh, and I'm out of here for now. I'm tying up the phone. Oh, my kingdom for broadband...

13. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

I don't want to jump into the middle of this argument, but I will say I believe that guns have no place in the world of HP. Why the fuck would you want Harry slinging around bullets? I don't know about you, but my ideal picture of Harry involves more than just being able to 'point and shoot'. Sure, it takes some skill to be accurate with a handgun, but it's really not that difficult (yes, I have experience with guns). I like it when Harry is more powerful or skilled then the next wizard. I don't like it when he has to fall back on guns because he has no other way to win. Putting aside that, I'm sure that there are laws against guns in the magical world. While wizards on a whole are very ignorant, guns are not a new invention. Black powder has been around for 800+ years, and basic firearms/projectile weapons based on black powder were invented 500+ years ago.

I'm sure that in that amount of time, some wizards and witches have been killed by firearms by muggles. To protect themselves and to insure their superiority, I'm sure that laws have been passed against muggle firearms even before Tom Riddle went to Hogwarts.

Out of the many HP fics that I've read that have guns in them, only maybe 2 out 100 weren't complete and utter shit. If you are going to introduce guns into HP, you better be a fucking great author that knows what you're doing.

14. Skeletaure

High Score:
    And I already have shown canon examples where the spell is applied to clothing and people...

Agree to disagree, since it comes down to whether or not you believe the unknown spell with incantation Impervius and the Imperturbable charm with unknown incantation are the same spell.

After speaking with one of the DLP resident Medicine experts, he believes that the child would not make it to age 10 if they started drinking heavily at age 5. Though, one wonders how magic would change that...

15. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

On the issue of the 10 year old outdrinking a 16 year old, I will weigh in. There are more factors that come into play with alcohol than bodyweight. While bodyweight is one factor that affects how quickly you get drunk, another is how much food you have in your stomach. Food absorbs toxins, and anyone who has experience with alcohol will say that drinking on an empty stomach is a very bad idea. Another factor is gender. I'm pretty sure there have been studies that have shown that women get drunk faster than men. It isn't implausible that a 10 year old Harry on a full stomach would be able to out-drink a 16 year old gang slut on an empty stomach.

16. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Challenge sucks.
    That is what we are talking about. Why does it fail?

No Muggle Vs Magic crap. End it pleaseeee!

17. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I agree. This is practically a new Muggle v. Wizard thread.

(Sorry, have to say it: Magic has apparation, shield charms, and wards that make it so muggles can't even FIND wizards. Muggles have machine guns and nukes. And they can't even use the nukes because wizards live side-by-side with muggles. They won't nuke their own homeland.)

Anyways... the Magic v. Muggle thread was closed for a reason.

EDIT: And, perhaps, wizards are not affected by muggle alcohol in the same way that wizards don't get sick. (I think that's canon)

18. The Doctor

The Doctor Unspeakable

It's been done.

19. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

I've always had a problem with how people rationalize this debate. I agree with the notion that accidental magic can act as protection, but all the instances I've seen rely on the magic-ee (for lack of a better term) has to "see it coming." Surprise attacks would work, to my thinking. Chemical weapons are easily highly effective; the bubblehead charm won't even halt nerve gas. And I had thought more people had nukes than the UK. If mysterious wizards are conquering the nation, the world would have a collective "desperate measure" response, which may or may not include nuclear weapons. I could easily see a practical government taking measures to protect itself.

20. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Personally, I could see some muggle governments having plans to eradicate the magical world, much like Iran has a grudge against Israel. Possibly some of the radical religious states. Chances are the Soviets experimented on magical people to see their limits. Hell, a genetically engineered dragon pox virus, which obviously doesn't effect muggles, could wipe out the whole magical world, given the ease of travel for them all.